Cop Claims McDonald’s Served Him Toxic Tea

Most of us have had fast food that didn’t taste so great, but we don’t end up in the hospital because we unwittingly ingested a McDonald’s iced tea containing heavy-duty degreaser.

That’s the allegation being made by a police officer in Indianapolis who says a recent trip to McDonald’s landed him in a hospital bed overnight.

According to 6 ABC in Indianapolis, the officer stopped by the fast food chain on Saturday and used the self-serve drink dispenser to get some tea. After gulping down some of the beverage, he says his throat immediately began to burn.

The customer claims in a police report that he complained and was told by a manager that the tea dispenser was actually in the process of being cleaned and that an employee should have put a paper cup over the tap so that customers knew to not use it.

He spent the night in the hospital and was released Sunday, though he was still experiencing throat-related issues as recently as Wednesday.

“Serving my customers safe, high quality food and beverages is a top priority at our restaurants,” says the franchisee who owns the location with the allegedly tainted tea. “We take this claim very seriously and are looking into the matter.”

The officer says he is consulting an attorney about the incident.