Lawsuit: “Defective” Chicken McNugget Contained Bone Shards That Caused “Severe Injury” When Swallowed

A Chicago man says he had to take a trip to the emergency room after eating what he calls a “defective” Chicken McNugget caused him “severe injury” when he swallowed it. He’s filed a lawsuit claiming the food in question contained one or more sharp bone shards that didn’t feel so great going down.

The lawsuit says the man bought McNuggets in May 2013 from a Chicago McDonald’s, and that one he bit into had at least one sharp bone shard, reports the Chicago Tribune.

“The Subject Chicken McNugget constituted an unreasonably dangerous product when put to use for which it was intended, in that it could not be consumed with safety and without the risk of impaling and/or cutting the consumer in the mouth, tongue and/or throat, and potentially causing additional damage to the stomach, digestive track and intestines of the consumer, due to the sharp bone shards contained therein,” the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit says McDonald’s workers didn’t inspect and test the McNugget in question for bone fragments before giving it to the plaintiff.

McDonald’s didn’t return the Tribune’s request for comment, and neither did co-defendant Tyson Foods, the company’s chicken supplier.

Cook County man sues McDonald’s over ‘defective’ McNugget [Chicago Tribune]

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.