That Free Balloon In Your Hotel Room May Be A Used Condom

Kids: don’t try to blow up balloons that you find on the floor. Or anywhere that’s not from a sealed package. A 4-year-old boy awaits sexually transmitted disease tests in Atlanta after he did just that. He mistook a previous guest’s used condom for a balloon, tried to blow it up, and became mysteriously ill shortly afterward, with a fever and mysterious white bumps in his mouth.

“I ran out the bathroom and my grandson had a condom in his mouth. His tongue was in the condom and he was trying to blow it up. I immediately took it out of his mouth and he thought it was a balloon, that he was blowing up a balloon… It still had, what appeared to be semen in the condom. I want to take the condom and have it tested.”

Hotel staff would not let the family keep the condom and send it for their own tests, and were understandably not very open with a local news station on the subject. The family suspects that the child may have herpes, and are waiting for test results.

Child’s Family Anxiously Waiting For Test Results After Condom Incident [CBS Atlanta] (Thanks, TJ!)

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.