Sure, LEDs are a great new energy-saving technology. The problem is, they’re no match for a Midwestern winter. That’s what the town of West Bend, Wis. learned when they installed LED traffic signals. LEDs don’t generate heat, which is normally a selling point. It’s not so appealing when you’re trying to keep traffic signals snow-free, and the ostensibly green move has caused at least one accident.
Power-Saving LED Traffic Lights Can't Melt Snow, Cause Accident
More From Consumerist
- New Audi Technology Will Tell Drivers Exactly When The Light Will Change
- Maserati Recalls 28,000 Cars Because Floor Mats Shouldn’t Drive Your Vehicle
- Mitsubishi Recalls 80K Vehicles Over Acceleration Issues
- DMV Report: Google Self-Driving Car Hit City Bus While Changing Lanes
- Mazda Recalls 800K Vehicles Because The Hatch Shouldn’t Fall On You