T-Mobile Doesn't Believe That You Moved To England

Chelsea moved to London while she was still under a T-Mobile USA contract. This would be a perfectly legitimate reason to let her out of her contract without an early termination fee. Unfortunately, she wrote to Consumerist, she can’t prove to T-Mobile’s satisfaction that she no longer lives in the United States.

I moved to start work in London, UK in October. I called T-Mobile to cancel my service, so that I would not have to pay $60 a month (which is ridiculous as it is) for a phone I’m not using. When I canceled I mentioned I’d be moving to another country (clearly out of the coverage area – as T-Mobile UK has little to do with the US one) and asked if I could have the cancellation fee waived. In the syrupy-sweet way of T-Mobile customer service, she assured me that the fee would be applied but that it could be refunded if I sent the necessary documentation.

After arriving in the UK, setting up a bank account, and getting letters from that bank to my new address, I sent an original of one of my letters to T-Mobile hoping that would take care of it. T-Mobile then sent me a letter to my UK address informing me that it was insufficient evidence of a move outside of the coverage area, but apparently it was sufficient enough to work as a change of address. Infuriating! So I put money on Skype and called customer service, only to be reminded again and again that what I need is: “voter registration card, state ID, or utility bills”. I am not going to be eligible to vote anytime soon in the UK, as I’m on a temporary work visa, nor will I be getting any kind of government ID. I live in subsidized housing (essentially dorms for teachers) and rent is taken directly out of my paycheck, and I do not pay for utilities. There are no bills related to my housing that I will receive. All I have with my address on it are pay-stubs and bank statements. I explained this over and over again to T-Mobile, and they explained their requirements over and over again – and we got nowhere. I eventually ended the call because I was getting irritated and realized the CS rep couldn’t do anything.

I find this so frustrating. I am clearly out of the service area, to the point that they are willing to send me mail to my out-of-coverage address. However, they won’t accept it to cancel the fee! I know they are just being shady and trying to keep their money, but I was under the impression that it was illegal for them to do this. They have charged me $200 and I want it back.

Help? Advice? What can I do? It is hard for me to contact US sources being out of the country, but I will be going home for Christmas so I’ll have a week to make whatever calls are necessary.

It’s time to go above these rule-bound reps’ heads. Try e-mailing the office of CEO Robert Dotson, or the executive customer relations department.

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.