Walmart Greeter Asks For Receipt, Customer Punches Her In The Face

On Christmas Eve in Batavia, N.Y., an elderly Walmart greeter asked a 26-year-old customer for the receipt for her electronics purchases. Instead, the customer allegedly punched her in the face and tried to flee. A mob of customers chased her and prevented her car from leaving the parking lot, and she’s now in jail, charged with two counts of assault. Here’s the unusual part: the customer had receipts for all of her purchases.

An eyewitness told TV station WHAM that the petite 70-year-old greeter “flew across the floor” after being hit. She was treated at the hospital and released. The eyewitness reports that dozens of people, with “no hesitation,” ran after her assailant.

“It was amazing the community just came together and protected this lady,” said she told reporters. “Everyone knows her because she’s worked there for years and is a very nice lady.”

The customer is in the county jail on $20,000 bail.

Woman accused of hitting elderly Walmart worker [Democrat and Chronicle] (Thanks, Melinda!)
Witness Recounts Assault In Walmart [WHAM]

A DISTURBING NUMBER OF RELATED STORIES:
Is Walmart Putting Elderly Greeters In Harm’s Way By Having Them Check Receipts?
Woman Sends 100-Year-Old Walmart Greeter To Hospital Over Receipt Dispute
It’s Probation For Florida Man Who Punched Walmart Greeter
Walmart Greeter Punched, Fired
Customer Punches Elderly Walmart Greeter In The Face

Comments

1. msky says:

What kind of name is Jacquetta? The poor woman!

2. Geosama says:

post some happy holiday stories please!

3. gparlett says:

“Here’s the unusual part: the customer had receipts for all of her purchases.” Not really that unusual at all, I don’t think I’ve ever read a story here about a receipt checker actually catching a thief.

• ShruggingGalt says:
    • HomerSimpson says:

Well while the “receipt checker” is detaining someone at the front door with a DVD down his pants, the employees are handing TVs out the back door….

• Tangurena says:

Receipt checkers are hired to catch crooked cashiers who under charge their friends.

It still smacks of the corporation accusing every single customer of being a shoplifter, and I agree with the customer’s sentiment of punching the receipt checker in the face.

• msbask says:

You agree with punching someone in the face over being asked a question?

(For the record, I never show receipts, I just say “No, thanks” and keep walking).

• FredKlein says:

Well, the video has someone saying “.she refused to show her receipt. The people started walking away. The cashier stopped… like stepped out of her little box…”

Sound like she was going to say “the cashier stopped them”. Depending on how she stopped them, it could be considered assault. Also, “stepping out of your little box” and in the direction of someone could be considered threatening. Think ‘the cashier came out from behind the counter’.

I’ll wait for the video of the incident.

• Velvet Jones says:

I don’t agree, but I hope these escalating incidents help convince Walmart and other stores(Worst Buy) to change their policy. In Walmart’s case, they’re often putting handicapped and elderly workers at direct risk. For big electronics I’m not sure why Walmart doesn’t use some sort of bright sticker to show that it has been paid for. Grocery stores do this for stuff like a $5 bundle of toilet paper, you wouldn’t you do the same for a $1000 TV.

• kc2idf says:

One local grocery store chain stopped using those stickers. I asked them why, and was told that they had a problem with them “getting out” and getting slapped on things that weren’t, in fact, paid. That same store now just keeps an eye on what’s going on around them.

This came to my attention because I regularly turn down bags if I’m just buying one or two things.

• Sad Sam says:

I do the same, a no thanks and continue on my way. Sadly though some checkers don’t respond well to a no thanks and I have had some major debates but generally prevail. No I would never punch someone but I really do take major offense being asked to show my receipt. To me it is in the same category of body scanners at the airport, I will not be a sheep and bow down.

I also, with the exception of CostCo, do not normally patronize establishments, i.e. Wal-Mart or Best-Buy, who check receipts.

• FredKlein says:

I hear that a lot. I also hear “Just show your receipt- it only takes 2 seconds!”

I’d like to see a receipt checker who can:

1) glance at my receipt and accurately count how many items are on it.
        2) glance at my cart filled with bags and accurately count how many items I have
        3) add up all the prices of the items, and compare them to the total on the receipt

… all in “just 2 seconds”.

• Jules Noctambule says:

Happens to me every time I go to Costco. Those ladies are eagle-eyed and swift as hell; I can only imagine that their children never get away with anything because mama sees it all!

• FredKlein says:

Maybe at Costco, if you’re buying Bulk boxes of stuff. Heck, a single 50-pack of paper towels would take the entire cart.

But if I go to a ‘normal’ store, and purchase a bunch of little stuff, there is no way to count all 37 cans of soup that are packed into 6 different shopping bags in “two seconds”. Not to mention knowing the correct prices, multiplying it out, and confirming the total on the receipt.

(And that’s just a relatively small number of one size of item. It’s not unusual to have large and small items packed together in a way that makes the smaller items hard to see.)

Which all goes to prove that Either:

1) They ARE NOT actually checking your items, either quantity- or price-wise.
            OR
            2) They are taking a lot longer than “2 seconds”.

If 1), then what’s the point? if 2), then screw that, I don’t have time for this crap, and I’m leaving.

• RayanneGraff says:

What the hell is wrong with you? I hope someone punches you in the face, jerk.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I don’t like being asked to show my receipt either (and I don’t unless I’m at the warehouse club), but as Judge Judy would say, “KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF!”

• Jawaka says:

/shrug

Every customer is a potential shoplifter.

Why do people take it so personally?

• Difdi says:

Every human being is a potential rapist, cannibal and murderer. If the government were to pro-actively lock you up for what you might do, what’s the problem?

Yeah, that’s an extreme example, but it’s exactly the same thing, just different degrees of it.

Taking precautions is one thing, but infringing upon people’s rights is another matter entirely. It’s possible to structure a checkout counter so that shoplifting cannot happen and mandatory receipt checks don’t violate people’s rights or break laws. But that sort of structuring is less efficient at selling products than the current systems in use.

Once payment is made, the seller no longer owns the products sold. They belong to the purchaser. A store has no more authority to compel a customer to show a receipt than that customer has authority to personally inspect the employees-only areas of the store.

That being said, punching someone for making a request is excessive. If you don’t like the words being used against you, use your own words back. Physical force is only self-defense if it’s in response to physical force, or prevents imminent physical force.

• Russell's Tempest says:

Speak for yourself. Obviously you’re a potential shoplifter, but those who don’t have and don’t want criminal records are not shoplifters.

There’s a concept that people like you obviously can’t grasp, called innocent until proven guilty. If the store suspects someone of shoplifting, call the police. Innocent people won’t run because they can charge the store staff with false detention and slander.

• Kira says:

If you watched the news story you would know that the employee was a cashier and asked after checking them out for her receipt for her electronics that she bought and paid for in the back. Don’t know how Consumerist got that she was a greeter.

• Slader says:

I don’t believe that for one second. I was told the a similar line from the manager of a local Sam’s club, that they check to make sure we are charged the correct price. So, I started asking the “greeter” the price of items, and as you might have guessed, she did not know. I doubt the 70 year old greeter would be able to tell if the price was marked down for someone either.

• smhatter says:

Just to clarify, Tangurena is ok with you punching them in the face if you don’t like the job they are holding. Have fun.

4. Costner says:

In her defense someone told her it was double-punch Saturday, so it was really a matter of misunderstanding what that meant.

5. Dallas_shopper says:

I don’t like having my receipts checked either, but there’s no excuse for decking a store employee. What a pig.

6. MutantMonkey says:

Wow

7. catskyfire says:

I’ll be honest. 99% of the time, there should be no receipt check request. (Exceptions usually involve large boxed items, such as game systems or laptops, and they usually ask you to show it to the receipt checker at the register itself.)

I’m not a walmart shopper often. But my way of dealing with it would be to ask for a manager, and show my receipt as I returned everything.

It’s not unlike DRM. It inconveniences the wrong people.

• CurrentGeekSquadEmployee says:

Yes, because you are able to tell who is the shoplifter just by looking at them.

• synimatik says:

Why the hell is everyone so God damned concerned about this? Who cares? They want to see your receipt… so show it. Why the fuck do you have to be a baby about it? It takes you an extra 10 seconds. Boo hoo. Get over it. There are way more important things to care about.

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

Like double posting…

Seriously though, I take being accused of a crime seriously. And that’s what they’re doing when they ask me for a receipt for something I paid for not twenty feet away. Next time it’s “Are you accusing me of shoplifting or another crime?” If they say “Yes” then I say “Fine, call the police and I’ll wait.”

• synimatik says:

• catskyfire says:

It’s one thing if they warn me in advance, such as when I bought a laptop at best buy, and just carried it out in it’s box. But if all the stuff I bought is in official bags, then why should they ask? Am I such a clever shoplifter that I bring bags to aid my methods?

And sometimes, it is, in fact, the principle. If a business wants my money, then they should treat me like a customer, not a criminal.

• OthelloAndreus says:

It many cases it doesn’t take “10 seconds.” Often there is a line up at the door that can take several minutes while the mouth breathing mollusk at the door paws through your bag.

There is no law that says you have to show your receipt, so I don’t. I don’t need the added inconvenience.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

Poor thing. The horror of it all. How do you brave shopping and recover with all those lost minutes?

• Thassodar says:

AMEN! I’ve come late to the party but I usually say the same damn thing and then argue with people for hours about how “this is like Big Brother taking you down, man” and shit. STOP CAUSING A PROBLEM.

Someone EVEN compared it to Rosa Parks sitting the back of the bus! I mean, REALLY?!?!

• drblair says:

Maybe I paid for my shit and don’t want to stand in line waiting to leave. Maybe I’m tired. Either way, I don’t shop at stores that check receipts. Let me buy my shit and let me get out. The end.

I’m not going to complain about it, I’m just not going to spend my money there.

• Difdi says:

I do shop at stores that receipt check. I just obey the law and expect them to do the same.

A posted sign confers exactly the same rights and authority under the law as the store would have without the sign. A posted sign claiming the store reserves the right to break the law whenever they feel like it is legally unenforceable. A store employee can exercise Shopkeeper’s Privilege whether they have a sign up about it or not. But doing so is every bit as risky as making a citizen’s arrest, you’re only protected from criminal consequences if you’re right. Forcibly stopping someone and seizing their legitimate purchases because they refused to show a receipt is legally no different than a mugging.

• Difdi says:

If someone wants to inspect your underwear to prove it’s not stolen, so what? Don’t be a baby, just bend over and submit.

A demand to see a receipt is an accusation of theft. Such an accusation, if unfounded, is a tort. Some places have what are called fighting words statutes, where such an unfounded public accusation may even be a crime.

Many states allow store employees to invoke an enhanced form of citizen’s arrest, called shopkeeper’s privilege, to detain or (depending on the state) even search a suspected shoplifter. But in order for it to be shopkeeper’s privilege and not assault, battery, robbery and/or unlawful detention, the state requires that the shop have reasonable doubt level evidence that shoplifting has occurred. If they have that level of evidence, a receipt check is redundant and unnecessary. If they don’t, then a receipt check is at best a fishing expedition, and one no customer is legally obligated to comply with.

You may enjoy the idea of waiving your civil, statutory and constitutional rights at the drop of a whim, but some people take citizenship more seriously than you.

• Jawaka says:

The receipt checker is there as a deterrent. If a casual shoplifter sees that there’s always someone at the door who may ask to check a receipt then they’re less likely to take a dumb chance at shoplifting (unless they’re a very dumb shoplifter). Will experienced shoplifters still manage to steal things? Of course but deterring some is better than not deterring any.

• kungfu71186 says:

Still doesn’t make sense. If i wanted to steal something i would just get a basket, put everything in there and walk out. They can’t do anything about it! It’s not that hard, really. If you want to shop lift something you will just do it. Places like this should not check receipts and should not chase down shoplifters. When you chase down a shoplifter you are putting yourself in danger and other people. If that person has a weapon, who knows who can get hurt. Just let them go and let the police deal with it. This is why places like this have a set amount that they expect to lose.

8. mbuki_dru says:

I think hitting a 70 year old should be a hate crime, but I have to say that being asked to show my receipt does make me want to throw things.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Why?

• Bsamm09 says:

Every crime is a hate crime. Does anyone ever commit a love crime against someone else? Make the punishments equally severe no matter who you commit a crime against.

• Dallas_shopper says:

This. Assault is assault.

• somedaysomehow says:

Wrong. Though assault is horrible in both cases, assaulting the guy that just cheated with your girlfriend, to me, is less egregious than assaulting someone who has never done a THING to you, simply because they are different from you in some way. It is absolutely right for there to be different levels of punishment for these two things.

• Doubting thomas says:

Hate crime = thought crime. Adding an additional punishment because of motive is criminalizing what someone thinks.

• Bsamm09 says:

“assaulting the guy that just cheated with your girlfriend, to me, is less egregious than assaulting someone who has never done a THING to you…”

That guy didn’t do a thing to you either. The GF did. The only motivation that should matter in criminal proceedings is premeditation.

• Velvet Jones says:

Actually, this sometimes is considered in law. It’s called mitigating circumstances. It doesn’t always clear you of a crime, but it does often lessen the sentence. A friend of mine was once arrested for beating the crap out his girlfriends ex-husband. They later dropped all charges, because when he caught the two in bed together the guy pulled a gun. DA said the beating was justified as self defense.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

In the words of a wise philosopher: “And the lovers that you sent for me, Didn’t come with any satisfaction guarantee, So I return them to the sender, And the note attached will read, How I love to hate you, I love to hate you, I love to hate you, I love to hate you!”

9. Razor512 says:

How many walmart greeters have you punched?

Or

How do you react when asked to show your receipt?

• ptkdude says:

I’ve punched none. And my method of dealing with this is to say “My receipt is in my front pocket. You’re welcome to fish it out if you like.” They never seem to take me up on the offer.

10. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I really don’t understand the yapping and railing people do about this topic. If you DON’T want to show your receipt in a store that does receipt checking, then DON’T shop there. Problem solved.

If business declines because of receipt checking the store will drop it. It’s that simple. What the hell is wrong with people?

• dgm says:

Or, just don’t show your receipt, and keep walking. It’s worked well for me, and I’ve never even had to punch anybody in the face!

• menty666 says:

I don’t get asked often, but the last time someone asked me for the receipt at Walmart, I told them I’d be happy to show it to them, for a $20 viewing fee. They declined, go figure.

Also odd, there was no longer a need for me to show a receipt at that point, I guess it wasn’t that important.

• Bionic Data Drop says:

Or how about if stores want to ask for a receipt when state laws say customers do not have to show it, they just don’t build stores in that state? Problem solved even better!

• Difdi says:

> I really don’t understand the yapping and railing people do about this topic. If you DON’T
      > want to show your receipt in a store that does receipt checking, then DON’T shop there.
      > Problem solved.

Or we could choose to follow what the law says and simply politely ignore requests to prove we are not thieves, in much the same way anyone might ignore atrocious manners. The proper response to a demand to see a receipt is “No, thank you” and continue on your way.

The problems begin when improperly trained (or untrained) employees mistake corporate (or managerial) policy for law, and attempt to enforce their demand. Such an act starts out at harassment, rapidly escalates through assault & battery, quickly reaches unlawful detention and may culminate in attempted (or successful) murder. Refusal to show a receipt proves nothing more or less than the customer refused to show a receipt. It’s not reasonable suspicion nor probable cause of any crime being committed. Citizen’s arrest requires probable cause, and while the requirements for shopkeeper’s privilege are a bit less strict, they still require reasonable suspicion of shoplifting, and refusing a receipt check doesn’t give it.

Once a customer pays for the merchandise, it no longer belongs to the store, and the store has as much right to compel an inspection of it on demand as a customer does to inspect the manager’s office for illegal drugs.

What the hell is wrong with me for not enjoying being publicly accused of being a thief? What the hell is wrong with you that you’re okay with being wrongly accused?!?

11. Cat says:

Upstate NY is the new Florida!

12. Liam Kinkaid says:

“An eyewitness told TV station WHAM that the petite 70-year-old greeter “flew across the floor” after being hit.”

WHAM replied “Last Christmas I gave you my fist, but the very next day you gave it away. This year, to save me from tears, I’ll give it to someone special.”

13. denros says:

Why was the TV station interviewing a batman comic from the 50s?

14. lonestarbl says:

looks like someone has some deep-seeded anger issues…

I don’t know if it is a case of incidents like this being covered more closely by the media or that the incidents themselves are growing… but either way, our society and its morals are raging out of control

• Ed says:

Probably has deep-seated anger issues too.

Not sure why you think their anger issues are in seeds that they have deeply planted though.

15. unsmith says:

I was hopeful the customer reactions in the video wouldn’t disappoint, and I was rewarded. The guy near the end trotted out the tried-and-true holiday argument – it’s worse because it’s Christmas. As if throwing haymakers at 70-year-old ladies is somehow less bad in mid June.

16. JohnDeere says:

it doesnt say if the greeter put her hands on jaquetta or not (assault), all the woman (witness) in the inteview knows is what she heard after the comotion started. i imagine it was self defense and the greeter will lose her job or get some kind of training. just b/c shes a little old lady doesnt automatically make her the victim.

• BD2008 says:

Oh please. Just stop with the wild speculation.

• Costner says:

You’re exactly correct… when someone reaches out to tap me on the arm or tries to touch my hand, my immediate reaction is to pull back into a Georgia haymaker, clip them on the jaw, and lay them flat on their ass.

Surely I’m not the only one right? Right??

• msbask says:

Why are you trying to pass off what you “imagine” as fact?

17. maxhobbs says:

I don’t always stop for the Walmart greeters, but when I do, I punch them in the face.

18. Liam Kinkaid says:

I used to be a Walmart greeter like you, then I took a fist in the face.

19. Bionic Data Drop says:

More receipt checking madness. Since no one is legally bound to show receipts, they should just stop asking for them. If they’re worried about people stealing, hire security. If they’re worried about a sneaky cashier, supervise them. Stop asking the elderly to be ones to imply your customers may have stolen something after they have made their purchases. All these crazy stories about receipt checkers getting hurt is all on Wal-Mart’s hands. Not that I condone punching someone, but Wal-Mart can stop this anytime they choose.

• daemonaquila says:

Or ticked off consumers could make the point with non-violent direct action. I’d love to see large groups of Best Buy customers getting together at the registers, and all walking through the receipt checkers together chanting “Screw you, you’re not seeing receipts.” (Better yet, go check out the product at Worst Buy, then buy cheaper online at a better retailer, and send a letter to the execs telling them WHY they just lost a sale.” Regardless, customers have to give hell to companies that are customer-unfriendly. Correct the problem, or sink. We won’t cry.

• Costner says:

Yea it is totally Walmart’s fault that some random shopper decided to punch an employee who was doing their job.

What were they thinking am i rite?

/s

• Bionic Data Drop says:

You must be new to consumerist. There are tons of articles about receipt checkers being put in harm’s way. Wal-Mart is fully aware of this and allows it to continue. It doesn’t excuse the actions of the individuals, but why not just squash the problem altogether and stop receipt checking? Doesn’t that seem like the most reasonable solution?

• Costner says:

I’ll say the same thing to you as I did to a poster below.

Walmart has almost 9,000 stores each of which probably has one or more greeters / receipt checkers. They process over a billion dollars worth of transactions daily via millions of transactions and millions of unique visitors.

You hear about an incident like this once every few months – which means the amount of violence towards Walmart greeters is probably less than violence against Salvation Army bell ringers.

Do you really think this is a large enough trend to convince Walmart that they should stop the practice – especially knowing that it acts as a deterrent to shoplifting and has been shown to reduce store losses?

Yea I didn’t think so.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Look at it this way; they usually have 1-2 receipt checkers, but anywhere from 5-20 cashiers. When is the last time we read a story about a customer punching a cashier? I think Wally World does put these people at risk, and for absolutely no good reason. If they are worried about shrinkage via unauthorized employee “discounts”, they should increase surveillance at the registers.

20. fordprefect says:

Taking odds that perp is a Consumerist commenter

21. odarkshineo says:

last 2 times i went to walmart 30 minutes to check out…i might have punched the old bag at the door had she prompted me. its not uncommon for me to walk past the line waiting to have their receipt looked at and everyone stares at me like wtf.

• msbask says:

I do the same thing, I walk right past the line.

But 30 minutes to check out? Twice? I don’t think I’d be going back to that store again ever.

22. Cooneymike says:

To be fair, we have seen roughly this same story three other times on Consumerist, picked up from other news outlets. All three times it has turned out that the receipt checker was actually stopping the customer or physically blocking them from leaving and all three times there was a subsequent, and much quieter, story in the media a few days or weeks afterwards that all charges against the offender were dropped. Last time I think there was at least some discussion about the appropriateness of putting very senior employees in these positions.

Obviously I am not sure if this is the case in this story. It could just be an unstable person with a grudge against old people or something. It’s just happened enough that I will wait a few weeks for the whole story before deciding if this is really Walmart’s fault again.

23. daemonaquila says:

No excuse for hitting this lady, or anyone else doing this odious job. Handle it by not shopping in places that check receipts and have other customer-unfriendly policies, urging others to boycott, and sending hate mail to the execs. Now if that person had punched someone who’d made the policy, I wouldn’t feel at all bad.

• benminer says:

IF (big if) the shopper was assaulted by the employee (and yes physically grabbing somebody from behind is an assault) then she may have been justified in defending herself. We can’t know for sure until (and unless) there is video.

• Difdi says:

Or we could handle it by continuing to shop in places that have policies that violate the law, and politely decline to comply with the policy. Corporate policies don’t override statutes; I obey the law, and I expect my fellow citizens to do the same.

24. Earl Butz says:

Maybe Walmart will stop this idiotic practice now.

• Costner says:

Yea I didn’t think so.

25. CurrentGeekSquadEmployee says:

I don’t get the big deal about this all the freakin time. If you don’t like it, don’t shop there or the other places that ask for it.

At the same time, if the 10 seconds or so that it takes to show the receipt are that much of an inconvenience for you, you are more than likely an asshat in real life.

• msbask says:

I am not part of any store’s Loss Prevention Team. You want my time to help you prevent theft? Fine. Pay me.

{Note: I have never had any problem just saying “No thanks” and walking out the door. It’s really hard for me to imagine these silly situations getting so out of control that punches are being thrown.)

• PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

If I may a purchase in the back of the store (say, in electronics), I have no problems showing my receipt and having them check it. However, if they want to check it after I just paid for my items ten feet away, then yes, I get annoyed. (Although, the past few times I’ve been to Wal-Mart, they don’t seem to be doing this anymore.)

That goes especially for Best Buy, who seem to be closer to the registers than Wal-mart’s checkers.

While I’ve not had any personal horror stories, it is a bit insulting that they feel the need to check it. Either it’s to protect them from me ripping off the store, or it’s to protect against employee shrinkage. The former seems to imply that the place where I choose to do my business views me as a criminal, and the latter is, simply, not my problem.

Does that make me an asshat? *shrugs* Maybe. I can live with it.

• CurrentGeekSquadEmployee says:

I personally haven’t seen Best Buy’s LP check receipts that are rang up at the front registers, simply because they are in view. However, there are registers in home theater, home office, and geek squad that they don’t see.

And again, that 10 seconds to check your receipt doesn’t do anything to you.

• PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

Then your BB is different than mine. (As said, I have no problems showing a receipt for a purchase made away from the front of the store.) I have lost track of how many times I have paid for something and taken, literally (and that’s the proper usage of “literally”), less than fifteen steps from the register and had the BB LP ask for my receipt.

Yeah, it’s only ten seconds. But you know what? They’re MY ten seconds. LP can CLEARLY see me from where he’s standing. So, unless I snuck something from my coat into my bag in that short distance from the cashier to the door, then I guess he’s double checking to make sure the cashier didn’t scam or screw up. Again – that is NOT my job.

Also, I’d LOVE to hear stories of how this has EVER helped the customer. How many receipt checkers have caught a pricing mistake or a double charge and pointed it out to the customer? The only correct answer ever to that will be zero.

In BB’s defense, however, I will say that they don’t put up a hassle when I say “no thanks” when they ask to see my receipt. I have had Wal-Mart checkers yell at me to come back, though, as I walk away.

26. ancientone567 says:

The lady was probably insulted. She was probably thinking this white lady gonna ask me for a receipt cause she things I am a thief? OH NO SHE DIDN’T! POW right in the kisser.

27. dush says:

“no thank you” or punchintheface, you decide

28. oldwiz65 says:

And the poor greeter now has a whopping hospital bill to pay since Walmart doesn’t give health benefits. Even just being treated in the hospital can cost several hundred dollars, and the poor greeter probably makes minimum wage anyway.

29. Conformist138 says:

The reason I hate receipt-checkers is they seem so useless. At my local Fred Meyer store (for those not in the area, Fred Meyer is owned by Kroger) my computer bag sets off alarms every time I enter or exit the store. Not one employee has ever stopped me. I even warn them now before leaving- “My laptop is going to react with your sensors, fyi!” and they just smile and nod and let me go. They’ve managed to be successful and profitable, so I don’t really see why Walmart feels they have to bother with this.

I understand Costco, though- There are a LOT of items in big boxes and I understand it could be easier to miss scanning something large (at many grocery stores, I have to remind them when I have some giant bag of dog food under the cart).

30. nick91884 says:

Punching the receipt checker is an extreme way to get out of this.

You are welcome to decline at any store, just walk by and say no thank you.

The exception is costco and sam’s club, I believe they have rules in the membership agreement saying that you have to get your receipt checked.

• Skyhawk says:

Actually, no there are no exceptions for Costco, Sam’s etc.

Not allowing them to check your receipt is a breach of the contract you sign when you join.
      They may revoke your membership, but you still are not required, by law, to show it.

31. mydailydrunk says:

I just smile and say “no thank you” and keep on walking past the sheeple waiting in line to show their receipt for their own property.

• Sad Sam says:

I do the same but not every checker respects that response.

• Jules Noctambule says:

Ooh, someone busted out the ‘sheeple’! Now all I need is a genuine ‘I make my own [whatever] at home’ and it’s a full Bingo card for this player!

32. almightytora says:

Why doesn’t everyone just show their receipt? Are you seriously that much in a rush to leave Wal-Mart to have someone just mark it with a highlighter? (That’s what they do here. They don’t even bother looking at the items in the bag.)

33. Masa says:

Receipt checkers help prevent the “on the fence” thieves, that’s about it. These are prevention methods, not a tool to catch thieves, if some kid was thinking about stealing something and saw someone at the door checking everyone’s receipts, they might think twice (unless they are pro’s like a lot of the scum I encountered in my retail days).

I honestly don’t see what the big deal is, if you aren’t stealing then you have no reason not to show your receipt, you are shopping in their store, if you don’t like the rules they have then go somewhere else.

• Lucky225 says:

If you aren’t stealing then you have no reason to show a receipt.

FTFY

• msbask says:

I don’t have to have a reason to not show my receipt. They have to have a reason to make me stop, wait and show them. The onus is on them, not me.

• ancientone567 says:

One of our rights as a US citizen is unreasonable search and seizure. The authorities can only search you or your receipt in this case if you have committed a crime or they had grounds to think you did. Granted this is a private store so rules don’t apply but it really is the same. They have no right to ask for your receipt.

• Masa says:

Asking to see someones receipt before they leave is far from unreasonable in my opinion. I want to live in a society where people are discouraged from stealing while at the same time be able to shop at stores where everything over $20 isn’t locked behind a glass case.

Personally, I don’t care about receipt checks, and I simply don’t understand the people that do.

34. Lucky225 says:

SIGH you’re doing it wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kS4vBGmK-0&list=UUQKvpnTSM8eLItvFb5MdCAQ&index=1&feature=plcp — Much better. Yes I was a dick, but I didn’t punch anyone in the face.

• CurrentGeekSquadEmployee says:

24 second video
      2-3 minutes downloading to pc(if necessary)
      3-5 minutes uploading to youtube
      3-4 minutes making this post about what an inconvenience it is to receipt check

vs

10 second receipt check

• Lucky225 says:

I don’t know what you’re talking about, I just hit share to youtube, takes less then 10 seconds to do that and the title and description are already there before I even hit share so nothing more is required on my part. Satisfaction of pissing off a greeter with her ‘store policy’ that isn’t in writing and thus isn’t a policy – priceless.

• Lucky225 says:

By the way, I was outside the door in less then 17 seconds not showing a receipt as I continue to walk and do not let the greeters detain me thus my time is NOT wasted, Further it would take me 17 seconds to walk out AFTER 10 seconds of receipt checking. But that’s a moot point anyways, I don’t have to show a receipt, and I don’t.

35. Cyfun says:

This doesn’t make any sense. The greeter must have said or done something to get so much attention from this customer. I’m guessing the girl ignored her or declined, and the greeter tried to stop her. Either way, it’s Walmart’s fault for putting these poor old people in such a position.

36. watcher says:

Don’t condone the punching, but I don’t agree with the receipt checking. After having to deal with the checking after the “greeter” saw me pay for my items I decided that Wal-Mart doesn’t want my business any longer.

I have spent thousands of dollars with them over the years, but now I go to Target. I’m sure Wal-Mart won’t miss me, however.

37. Forex Software Guy says:

I hate Walmart, but that doesn’t make it right to jack an elderly lady in the face just because she’s racist and thinks you stole something. (Obviously I have no idea, and she probably isn’t a racist) Receipt checks are stupid, unless someone actually admits to trying to steal it, then they can just say they forgot it in the cart when they went through the checkout. There is actually no reason to check receipts.

38. DjDynasty says:

thats what she gets for asking for a reciept

39. madamos says:

The receipt check is strictly a way to try to reduce shrinkage in stores that have high rates.

Of the Walmart stores in the town I live in, comparing one in the nice wealthy northwest side of town to one on the less well off southwest side of town. Northwest side, I’ve never been asked for a receipt. Not once. Southwest side of town, all the time when anything isn’t bagged in a cart.

40. 2 Replies says:

Every part of this story can be ignored beyond the fact that person A punched person B.
    The fact it was a Walmart greater asking for a receipt makes no difference.
    There is no excuse for violence.

41. LCE167 says:

I could care less if they want to check my receipt. It it would nail a shoplifter or two it would be worth it. Those folks cost us all money. Most people are honest, but not everyone is. What’s to stop these less than honest folks, who would probably complain the loudest, from carrying a Walmart bag into the store, stuffing it with whatever, and walking out. If asked to show a receipt – throw a fit.

42. shmoos says:

Every Costco and Sam’s club in the world ask to check your receipt.
    No one ever objects.
    So why object when Walmart does the same.

43. Bob says:

Isn’t it usually the other way around with Wal-Mart?

44. thomwithanh says:

I’ve never been a fan of receipt checkers, but still – this is unacceptable

45. DragonThermo says:

Is it a bad thing that the criminal looks exactly how I thought they would look based on Consumerist’s description alone?

However, Walmart needs to stop putting the elderly on the front line of loss prevention. Too many have been injured or killed by criminals. They should at least have a burly loss prevention guy nearby so that if a criminal does not comply with the greeter’s receipt request, someone can take over and prevent the elderly greeter from being harmed.