WTNH-TV

6 Children Shocked By Electricity On Connecticut Amusement Park Ride

A day at the amusement park went from thrilling to downright dangerous yesterday, after six children were shocked by electricity while exiting a ride at a Connecticut oceanside park. [More]

Starbucks Recalling 2.5M Stainless Steel Straws Because They’re Cutting Kids’ Mouths

Starbucks Recalling 2.5M Stainless Steel Straws Because They’re Cutting Kids’ Mouths

While it might be refreshing to drink a refreshing cold beverage delivered by an equally cold metal straw, it’s much less enjoyable when that straw becomes a stabby thing that can cut your mouth. [More]

Will

Ashley Furniture To Pay $1.75M Over Worker Safety Violations

Following reports of more than 1,000 employee injuries, home furnishings retailer Ashley Furniture has agreed to pay $1.75 million to settle numerous allegations by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
[More]

JeepersMedia

Wendy’s Customer Claims Daughter’s Soda Came With Slimy Razor Blade

There are many things one would not want to find in their beverage, but a slimy razor blade has got to be one of the least appetizing. That’s what a mom in New Hampshire said she found in the bottom of a Wendy’s soda her daughter was drinking. [More]

(CSPC)

Walmart Recalling 330,000 Electric Griddles That May Serve Up A Shock

You might shock yourself while cooking by how many ways you can figure out to melt cheese into and onto things, but you shouldn’t actually receive an electrical shock in the process. That’s Walmart’s cue to recall 330,000 electric griddles that could pose a shock hazard to home chefs. [More]

Chipotle’s Sales Took A Deeper Dive Than Previously Expected Amid Food Safety Issues

Chipotle’s Sales Took A Deeper Dive Than Previously Expected Amid Food Safety Issues

It’s safe to say that Chipotle’s year is off to a rough start. Today, the company announced that it had received a subpoena from a grand jury looking into the circumstances surrounding a norovirus outbreak in California, and then it disclosed another bit of not-so-great news to investors: sales this quarter are down even more than analysts predicted in November. [More]

(Holland America Line)

Jury Awards $21.5M To Cruise Passenger Struck In The Head By Ship’s Sliding-Glass Doors

While automatic doors can be very useful — especially on a cruise ship where maybe you don’t want to go around touching too many door handles — they’re not only useless when they don’t work right, but they can hurt: a federal jury has ordered cruise line Holland America to fork over $21.5 million in damages to an Illinois man who suffered a minor brain injury when he was struck in the head by a ship’s sliding-glass door.

[More]

(frankieleon)

CDC Says Your Hangover Is Costing The Country Hundreds Of Billions Of Dollars

Did you tie one on last night and have a few too many whiskeys/margaritas/beers? And are you at work right now, bleary-eyed and slow, or perhaps “sick” at home with a raging hangover? Your excessive drinking habits aren’t just a drain on your body, they’re costing the American economy hundreds of billions of dollars every year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
[More]

Woman Settles Dunkin’ Donuts Hot Coffee Lawsuit For $522K

Woman Settles Dunkin’ Donuts Hot Coffee Lawsuit For $522K

As long as chains and restaurants sell hot beverages sold, we’ll probably continue to hear about lawsuits tied to accidents with hot coffee, or hot cider, or any hot liquid. To wit: in a recent hot coffee lawsuit development, a woman who claimed she fell in the parking lot of a New Jersey Dunkin’ Donuts, spilling hot coffee on her face and neck, has settled with the chain for $522,000. [More]

(Juan Rodriguez - PMI/LEPA)

EasyJet Passenger Shot With Stun Gun During Carry-On Bag Dispute Involving His “Man Purse”

There are many arguments one might have about a “man purse,” but most don’t end with police intervention: a traveler defending his right to carry the bag on a recent EasyJet flight found himself on the painful end of a stun gun when he allegedly got abusive and refused to leave the plane.

[More]

The cover of the nightlight can detach, exposing its electrical insides.

IKEA Recalling 442,000 Nightlights Over Shock Risk

Ah, the nightlight: that beam of hope that cuts through the dark and soothed us when we were young and afraid. Or you know, old and also still not cool with complete blackness. In either case, you might want to check if your nightlight is one of the 442,000 IKEA is recalling after a child received a minor electrical shock when handling one.

[More]

(Click 2 Houston)

Police: Man Punched Through Window Of Starbucks And Fell Inside, Injuring Two Customers

A coffee break turned dangerous for customers at a Houston Starbucks, when a man punched his way through a window from the outside, shattering it. Police say he then fell through it, injuring himself and two customers who were sitting inside at a table near the window.

[More]

(B-More Retail)

OSHA: Ashley Furniture Failed To Report Incident In Which A Worker Lost His Finger

Going to work and doing your job shouldn’t mean worrying about bodily harm, which is why there are rules and regulations in place to ensure that employers take all the right steps to keep workers safe. The federal government says Ashley Furniture fell afoul of those rules when it failed to report an incident in which a worker lost a finger.

[More]

kevindean

Shirtless Guy Climbs Two Fences At San Diego Airport, Runs Onto A Runway

Though it’s no easy feat to scale a fence (at least, not easy for me), authorities at San Diego International Airport say a man managed to climb not one, but two security fences and ran onto a runway Thursday night.

[More]

(@MNS1974 on Twitter)

Southwest Airlines Passenger Removed From Flight After Allegedly Poking Snoring Guy With A Pen

Sometimes the only way to put a stop to snoring, that involuntary yet endlessly annoying to others activity, is for the snorer to wake the heck up. But one Southwest Airlines passenger is accused of crossing the boundary between a polite tap and roaming into the land where rudeness to your fellow traveler — snoring loudly or no — means getting booted off your flight.

[More]

(Kenny Lannert)

Putting Your Phone In Your Back Pocket May Also Be Bad For Your Butt & Back

If there’s one thing we’ve learned in the last year, it’s that some phones can bend if put under enough pressure. But in addition to possibly putting an unwanted curve or crack in that expensive telecommunications device, stashing a phone in your back pocket may result in a literal pain in the butt. [More]

(Plankton 4:20)

Study: Tanning Beds Responsible For Average Of 3,234 Injuries Per Year That Send People To The ER

When the weather outside is frightful and the sun is nowhere to be found in the winter months, some people might turn to an indoor tanning bed to get their glow on. But beyond the chance for cancer from the exposure to ultraviolet radiation, there’s the risk of getting burned, bumped or bruised, says a new study on tanning bed use.

[More]

(chrismar)

Lawsuit Seeks $50K For Woman Claiming She Was Burned By Flying Hot Coals At A Hookah Lounge

A woman is suing a Philadelphia hookah lounge for $50,000 claiming she was burned by hot coals after some raucous fellow patrons dancing around a stripper pole sent hot coals flying onto her chest. [More]