Tom Selleck, Agency Reach Tentative Settlement In Water Theft Lawsuit

The world was shocked, simply shocked to hear this week that actor Tom Selleck was embroiled in a water hullabaloo out in California. After the Calleguas Municipal Water District filed a lawsuit accusing the Magnum P.I. star and his wife of stealing water by the truckload from a fire hydrant, the two sides have reportedly reached a tentative settlement.

An attorney for Calleguas told NBC News on Thursday that Selleck and the agency had come to some sort of detente for the time being, though the terms will remain confidential until a final agreement is reached.

The general counsel for the water district said Selleck had hired a third-party company, which then broke Metropolitan Water District rules by taking water from a hydrant in the Calleguas district to water the actor’s ranch in another district.

Law enforcement officials said earlier this week that the Three Men and A Baby actor hadn’t committed a crime, NBC News adds.

California is particularly thirsty right now as it’s currently in the fourth year of a historic drought, which made the news land with an extra splash. Well, it would’ve if there were any extra pools of water around.

But the Calleguas’ district manager of resources said the suit wasn’t supposed to turn Selleck into an example of “drought shaming,” as the district was just trying to safeguard its water supply for its users.

Tom Selleck Reaches Tentative Deal in Water Theft Lawsuit, Agency Says [NBC News]