Burning Bananas Leave Diner Covered In Flames

A family was helicoptered to the hospital with severe burns after a tropical dessert ended in tragedy. The waiter poured the 151 proof rum over the plate of bananas Foster, a treat consisting of bananas sauteed in butter and soaked in alcohol and often served over ice cream, and then lit it. The liquid fire then spilled onto several members of the family, leaving one woman’s body covered in flames as her dress caught fire.

Two of the men had burns on the knees and refused treatment. An older woman was released after getting treatment for respiratory burns. The woman whose dress became ablaze is still hospitalized, and will be for some time, after receiving first and second-degree burns.

“Obviously, it was a terrible accident,” the Palm Harbor area restaurant owner told St. Petersburg Times. “But my main concern is for the well-being of that young lady and everyone who was hurt, and our thoughts and prayers are with everyone who was involved. It was just very unfortunate.”

As comforting and heartfelt those words might be, I smell lawsuit.

Woman severely burned by bananas Foster at Palm Harbor restaurant [St. Petersburg Times] (Thanks to Alexa!)

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.