Some movie theater chains sell discount passes at Costco that can save you over $2 per person. Not a bad deal… if you don’t mind waiting in five different lines before you sit down in your seat at the theater.
Over at Cockeyed.com, Rob broke down all the work that goes into saving $2.25/ticket at his local theater.
1. First, you need to go to the Costco cashier to purchase the cardboard placeholder for 2 movie tickets.
2. Then it’s over to the Costco gift card “cage” where they actually exchange the placeholder for the pair of theater passes.
3. Now you’ve got to stand in line and wait to have your receipt checked against your purchases.
So now you’ve left the Costco (assuming there’s no line of cars waiting to get out of the parking lot) but you’ve still got at least two lines left.
4. You’ve got movie passes, so now you’ve got to stand in line at the theater box office and turn them in for actual tickets to the movie you want to see.
5. Then finally you get to wait in line outside your movie until it’s showtime.
Of course, there’s also the line at the concession stand, but that’s optional.
So is it all worth it?
Standing in Line Five Times for the Movies [Cockeyed.com]