Senators Durbin and Schumer today proposed making a “Financial Product Safety Commission.” (an idea originally put out there by the super-awesome Elizabeth Warren 2 years ago). Shumer likened it to the Wild West days of medicine in the 1900s when snakeoil got peddled from street corners and magazines, saying, “Those who sell quack financial products in the 21st century” should be “reined in, not with disclosure, but with real limits.” If it comes to fruition, hopefully unlike other government protection agencies it will be staffed by consumer advocates instead of industry insiders.
Senators Propose Financial Product Safety Commission
By Ben Popken March 11, 2009
- Taking Another Stab At It Legislators Once Again Introduce Bill That Would Allow Student Loan Refinancing
- Changing Student Loans Student Loan Borrower’s Bill Of Rights Would Reform Disclosure And Servicing Standards
- insert "green" pun here Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Others Call On Treasury To Make It Easier For Marijuana-Related Businesses To Bank
- Restoring The Right To Discharge Debt Senators Introduce Legislation To Make Private Student Loans Dischargeable In Bankruptcy
- Postal Banking Senator Endorses USPS Plan To Enter Financial Services Arena, Offer Payday Lending Alternative