Senators Durbin and Schumer today proposed making a “Financial Product Safety Commission.” (an idea originally put out there by the super-awesome Elizabeth Warren 2 years ago). Shumer likened it to the Wild West days of medicine in the 1900s when snakeoil got peddled from street corners and magazines, saying, “Those who sell quack financial products in the 21st century” should be “reined in, not with disclosure, but with real limits.” If it comes to fruition, hopefully unlike other government protection agencies it will be staffed by consumer advocates instead of industry insiders.
Senators Propose Financial Product Safety Commission
By Ben Popken March 11, 2009
- Taking Another Stab At It Legislators Once Again Introduce Bill That Would Allow Student Loan Refinancing
- Changing Student Loans Student Loan Borrower’s Bill Of Rights Would Reform Disclosure And Servicing Standards
- i'm just a bill Your Guide To Proposed Laws & Regulation That Could Help Consumers In 2014
- arb wire fence 103 Lawmakers Come Out In Favor Of Revoking Banks’ “Get Out Of Jail Free” Card
- insert "green" pun here Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Others Call On Treasury To Make It Easier For Marijuana-Related Businesses To Bank