Despite the fact that unprecedented outcry from taxpayers overwhelmed the servers hosting the Web sites of the House and its members, forcing administrators to limit e-mails from the public for the first time ever, the steady push toward a bailout plan continues. The newest version of the plain contains what CNN is calling “sweeteners” — tax cuts and health care reforms that are meant to appeal to the holdouts.
The “sweeteners” in the package include:
- An increase in the amount that the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation will insure in bank accounts: to $250,000, up from $100,000
- A fix that would prevent middle-class taxpayers from paying the alternative minimum tax
- A number of tax extensions favored by either Republicans or Democrats
- Tax exemptions for renewable energy
- A measure that would require health insurers to treat mental health issues the same way they treat physical illnesses
‘Sweeteners’ could make bailout package sour for House Dems [CNN]