School Orders Students To Delete Facebook Accounts Or Face Expulsion

Last week, every 11th grade student at a Jewish school for girls in Brooklyn was told to delete their Facebook accounts or risk a $100 fine, or even the possibility of expulsion.

“In religious communities they don’t want anybody to have the Internet, especially not Facebook,” the school’s president told 1010 WINS radio in NYC.

“It’s not a modest thing for a religious Jewish man or woman to be on,” he added.

The principal says the school’s no-Facebook policy has been in place for two years and administrators are merely enforcing the rule.

“They all knew about it before,” he explains, “they were warned about it, they were told about it, they were taught about it and some girls ignored it.”

But some parents are confused by the school’s actions, saying students had been encouraged to create Facebook accounts last year so they could vote for the school in a charity giveaway contest operated by Kohl’s.

The school says it only asked parents to sign up, not students.

Beis Rivkah High School Students Told To Delete Facebook Profiles [CBS NY]

High School Students Punished for Facebook Accounts [CrownHeights.info]

Thanks to Harper for the tip!

Comments

1. TuxthePenguin says:

I have no problem with this – its a rule of attending that private school. Don’t like it – withdraw your students and if enough people do, the school cannot function and must close.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

I do have a problem with this. It’s my kid; I should be the one to decide whether a Facebook account is appropriate for my kid. Sure, it’s a private school, but this is overreaching.

• sendbillmoney says:

Then the remedy is not to do business with that private entity. Ta da.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Which is why I wouldn’t send my kid there.

• NickJames says:

It’s not that easy when you’ve already spent 3 years in that school system and you want to graduate with a degree at that particular school because of its pretigious merits. That and the fact that the school is paid for in advanced so you don’t even get that money back if you get kicked out.

• bee8boo8bop8 says:

You don’t go to a Hasidic school for a prestigious education; you go there for a religious education and because it provides a social signifier of where you stand, religiously. This is the strictest girl’s high school in the community; if you are a more religiously liberal Hasid, it’s in the better interests of you and your kid long term to move to a more liberal school.

• Sajanas says:

I don’t think its unfair to presume that the only recourse to protesting a school’s policies is to withdraw your kids from school. I doubt these kids had any choice but to sign these ‘contracts’ put in front of them. And a smart school will realize that it may not be worth enforcing if they’re going to lose a lot of students.

• zegron says:

Its the parents that sign the contracts/agreements, underage children can’t enter into contractual agreements.

• nishioka says:

It’s a private school with religious affiliations. If you think your church is reaching too far into your life, cut them off.

• NotEd says:

Actually if you sent your kid to the school chances are your would be Orthodox enough to agree with the school.

• donjumpsuit says:

Driving is a privilege as well. Let’s say the government required you to delete Facebook to maintain your licence? Don’t like me using government as an example? Let’s say insurance companies all got together and decided to charge more to anyone who had an active cell phone subscription due to the recent spike in texting/calling driving accidents. It’s a slippery slope to regulate what people do in their personal time. Sure they can regulate it while driving …. or in this case the school can say “while in school, no student can use Facebook or the phone” but personal time is a different story. Surely you see this logic. It’s a slippery slope, then it’s 1984.

• TuxthePenguin says:

But this is not government, so that is not an apt example.

But as for your other example – so long as the insurance company can show that owners of cell phones are more likely to get into an accident than another, I wouldn’t be too opposed. I’d probably switch companies (actually, I’d call my broker and get him to waive since I have so much insurance through them that it’d be a big hit – auto, life, homeowners, commercial liability (D&O, WC), professional liability, etc)

• Tim says:

First off, the government is under very different obligations than private corporations, especially religious ones. The government, for example, has a constitution. And laws. And other lovely things.

Secondly, if insurance companies got together like you suggested, that’d be a cartel, when is illegal.

Lastly, it’s not “regulating” your personal time if it’s a private corporation. You have the freedom to not go to this school. It’s like if a church says it won’t allow gay people to attend. It’s allowed to do that, because it’s private.

• dpeters11 says:

But they seem to only be cracking down on 11th graders. Why single them out? Do no seniors have accounts? And does it specify all social networking sites, or just Facebook? Is Google+, Twitter and LinkedIn banned as well? Then they say that in religious communities they don’t want anyone on the Net, but then they wanted parents to log on to vote for the school.

It just doesn’t make much sense.

• bluline says:

The article notes that Internet service in general is frowned upon in this particular community, so it includes much more than just social networking sites. It’s everything online.

• dpeters11 says:

Yet they wanted parents to go on Facebook to vote for them.

• Tyanna says:

Again though, they wanted parents or students to vote for them on Facebook….but Internet service is frowned upon. Sounds like they want it both ways to me.

• Jawaka says:

I agree.

Wouldn’t another way of getting around this simply be to lock down your account, not have a profile picture and don’t befriend any school administrators. How would they prove it was a student’s account?

• El_Red says:

Yeah, sad that those students has learned to read. Now internet will transform them into lawless criminals and horrible heathens.
        /sarcasm

• regis-s says:

My only problem is they were perfectly happy to have people on Facebook to help the school win a prize.

I’m not buying the “we wanted the parents to sign up. Not the students” argument. Either you’re against Facebook for religious reasons or you aren’t.

• edrebber says:

The school only wanted the parents of the students to use Facebook to win the prize, but I think that was a failure of leadership on the part of the school. Nothing connected with the school should be on Facebook. Lead by example.

2. Benny says:

I never get how can school get away with telling what students can or cannot do outside of school. But many private schools takes what a student does outside of school very seriously. I guess that’s the price you have to pay for going to a private school.

• shepd says:

Like all snob things, what you are seen doing when you’re not part of the group is as much a problem as when you are. If that exclusive golf club finds out that your other car is a clapped out 69 Charger with a confederate flag on it, goodbye membership. Even though you only go there in the Lexus.

I went to a private school. I know this stuff. I wouldn’t impose that BS on anyone. Be assured, when the other students and parents found out my dad was a plumber, it was like my whole family wasn’t worthy of the place.

But, it’s okay, the whole snob mentality has invaded public schools too–graduating highschool students are now routinely expelled for posting a few swears on their private facebook page from home.

• Kuri says:

Heh, that is kind of funny, since without people like your dad their homes wouldn’t have plumbing.

Then again I doubt that many of them can wrap their heads around that fact.

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

My kids go to a private school and one of the rules of having a Facebook account is that they must “friend” the school administrator. My kids are Facebook friends with half of the teaching staff just because they want to be. I’m not bothered by the rule but they know that I have to have access to their Facebook account anyway. Some people would call this intrusive – I call it “parenting”.

• flarn2006 says:

If that was me, I would friend the school administrator and then block him/her from everything. No rule against that, is there?

• bee8boo8bop8 says:

My boarding school had a “jurisdiction of the school” handbook. Basically, if you broke campus rules off campus, you could face school disciplinary action. Boarding and commuting students were both subject to the rule, though it was only rarely invoked.

• bluline says:

Exactly. It’s a private school, so it can impose any rules it wants concerning off-campus behavior. If you don’t like it, send your kid to a public school or to a private school that doesn’t have such restrictions.

• El_Red says:

Well, a school forbidding any attacks against itself, bullying or its teachers, that would be an OK policy.
      Completely forbidding Facebook and “the Internet” = nuts, just plain nuts.

• Lisse24 says:

As a former private school teacher…the parents want it. Parent’s are constantly, at least once a week, coming in and asking administration and teachers to deal with things happening off school grounds. This has included: phone calls, dates, problems between parents, facebook messages, texts sent after school hours and off of school grounds, twitter – and I’m sure more. That doesn’t even cover the intrusiveness of parents in the lives of teachers. BTW, this also goes on at public schools, maybe not to as great of an extent, but it happens.
      It’s part of an increasing trend where professional organizations are becoming increasingly involved in people’s personal lives. I’d like to see it reverse, but I don’t think it will.

• bluline says:

“Basically, the parent’s view is that if it involves another student at the school, then it’s the school’s business.”

That’s because the parents can’t be bothered with, you know, actually parenting.

• JennQPublic says:

For the six-to-eight hours a day their children are at school, the school IS parenting them. Isn’t it better that the school and parents work together to co-parent, rather than parents putting those six-to-eight hours a day out of their minds as not their responsibility?

3. Hi_Hello says:

How would they know unless they have access to the internet? or know someone with access??

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

So, they are saying they asked the students’ parents to set a bad example for their children by being immodest and having Facebook accounts?

5. crispyduck13 says:

Sooooo does the boy’s high school have the same rule?

• George4478 says:

Does it matter? This private entity makes its rules. What a different private business, run by different people, have to do with this one?

This is not a rule of a Jewish school system being applied only to a single school in the system.

• crispyduck13 says:

And how would you know that? I read the article, it never specifies whether that school is part of a larger system or not. The only specifics it gives is that someone got on Facebook and identified individuals in the 11th grade class only and those individuals were given this punishment.

But you’re right, these parents can certainly choose to send their children elsewhere if they don’t like the rules.

• regis-s says:

It may be a rule but it seems to be an unenforced one. I guess the parents should have asked if the school was going to arbitrarily start enforcing it before they enrolled their kids.

• redwall_hp says:

The same applies to your employer, then. If your boss says you can’t east asparagus or vote for a certain political party, you’d better just deal with it or find a new job.

Both entities have ZERO authority when you’re not there, and for good reason.

• SabreDC says:

Like how professional athletes can get in trouble from their employers for posting tweets, etc. on their own time? Yes, some employers do have those insane “outside of work” rules.

• dpeters11 says:

The difference between us and athletes is that when we tweet something, rarely do many people notice. If an athlete tweets something controversial etc, it reflects badly on the team and makes the news.

• consumerfan says:

Follow that line of reasoning. Schools care about Facebook because what goes on between students there affects their reputation. Particularly with students.

You could say that athletes could find a team that cared less about their private lives.

But then what team/school doesn’t? It’s invasive.

• Doubting thomas says:

Bad comparison, employers to private schools is beyond apples and oranges, it is more like apples and rocks. Your employer has power over you, especially in today’s economy. If they have restrictive rules you may just have to suffer through them when you disagree. A private school needs you, without your tuition money they close. You can walk away any time and still have your children educated for free by the state or go to another private school with different rules.

6. AllanG54 says:

Yes, in religious Judaism “modesty” is very important. That’s why the girls wear skirts to the floor and cover their hair. Do most people think it goes a little overboard? Absolutely. But to them it’s the norm. They got more and more like the Amish every day. I had a friend who was one of these religious Jews (I am Jewish as well) and we debated this topic quite often. We ended up agreeing to disagree.

• Eremis77 says:

Same thing in many conservative religious groups. The Mormon colleges like BYU are notorious for their “Honor Code” which allows them to expel you if you have premarital sex, and encourages students to tattle on each other or be accused of being an accomplice.

• framitz says:

The rules sound like a US Military Academy, except for the sex part (not sure of the ‘rules’ on that).

• bluline says:

Many private schools (like the one I attended) have an honor code that says you will not lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do. That means you are obligated to report infractions that you are aware of. If you don’t, you are just as guilty as the person who broke the rule to begin with.

• delicatedisarray says:

I work at a public university that has that exact honor code- they will not “lie, cheat, or still or tolerate someone who does”. The joke here, as I’m sure it is at many other places, is they “exaggerate, collaborate, and borrow” instead.

7. dwtomek says:

While I suppose I don’t really see a problem with this, seeing as it is a private institution, I did find one thing amusing.

“In religious communities they don’t want anybody to have the Internet, especially not Facebook.”

My mind immediately jumped to the thought of, “Of course you wouldn’t, the free discourse of thought bodes poorly for the future of any organized religion!” Then I read the rest of the article and I become less sure that I was being silly…

8. dush says:

It’s not a modest thing for Jewish people to do yet the school asked the parents to sign up? What?

• Lyn Torden says:

Maybe this is more a case of Facebook being a vanity temptation (it is, for sure). I know many religious groups (such as the Amish) teach against this kind of thing (vanity is considered a sin). Once someone has reached adulthood, they are then educated enough to know how to avoid the “sinful temptations” of Facebook, while being able to use it. The theory is the not yet fully educated child is not able to always make these wise choices to avoid the “sinful temptations” parts.

9. SuperSnackTime says:

I am baffled some people in this conversation can’t easily and immediately separate “rules imposed by private institution” vs “rules imposed by government.”

10. Lyn Torden says:

I’m with the school on this one, since they are choosing to attend this school. However, the school could have done better by enforcing it through enrollment selection. I’m sure that process doesn’t wait until August. So it should be pretty soon (if not done already). Tell the students and their parents that the accounts must be deleted to be allowed to attend next year. They should also offer the parents the option to lock out the account by having the parents take over the account, change the password, and keep the account secured until the child leaves the school (generally assumed to be after graduation).

• bee8boo8bop8 says:

I’m familiar with the school; the girls had to sign a pledge saying they wouldn’t have Facebook accounts and, if caught, would have to delete the account and pay a fine. I assume this happened when the school decided to check if the students were keeping their word.

11. j2.718ff says:

This is lame and annoying. If a public school were doing this, I highly suspect it would be illegal, as it’d be discrimination based upon non-school activities. But since it’s a private institution, they have additional ability to set stupid policy.

• missy070203 says:

I wish they would keep kids in public school off facebook and other media outlets…. it seems alot of these kids use those social media outlets to target other kids and bully each other… I don’t allow my daughter to have a facebook or cellphone now even though half of her friends have them – as far as I’m concerned if she wants to talk to or spend time with her friends we have a land line phone and they can call her at home or I can set up sleep overs/”hang outs” with the other kids parents-

When I was a kid we all functioned just fine with out facebook and cell phones no reason why kids as young as 9 and 10 years old need to be involved in this –

I told my daughter she could have a cell phone when she starts driving because pay phones barely exist anymore-

My cousin has a daughter in highschool and she has a facebook page and she friended me and I’m constantly calling my cousin because all she and her friends post about is setting up drinking parties and smoking pot-

the entire thing makes me throw up in my mouth – just a little

12. LAArt says:

As much as I abhor Oprah for her endorsement of woo like Deepak Chopra and the Secret, her “Next Chapter” special on the hasidic jews in Brooklyn was pretty informative. The families that she visited do not watch TV, do not go the movies, do not have internet, and don’t play video games. They didn’t even know who Oprah was. The very religious orthodox jews have very strict modesty laws (aka brain-washing), that forbid or limit exposure to outsiders. After all the atrocities heaped onto jews over the past two millenia, I can understand how that behavior has helped them survive, even if I don’t agree with it. See http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/oprah-hasidic-rabbi-interview-brooklyn-jewish-tour_n_1265684.html for more on Oprah’s special.

• FatLynn says:

Please don’t make excuses for them based on past oppression. Crazy fundamentalism is crazy fundamentalism.

13. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

It’s okay for parents to sign up but not children.

Hypocracy abound!

• Doubting thomas says:

It’s ok for parents to drive, but not kids, its ok for parents to drink but not kids, its ok for parents/adults to but handguns but not kids.

Adults are more mature (on average) than kids and can make better decisions than kids. It’s not hypocrisy, it is nature.

14. BradC says:

There is no law against being stupid, especially for religious organizations. As long as they receive no public funding and avoid things like discrimination laws then they can come up with whatever silly rules they want.

• Lyn Torden says:

Maybe the school is preparing them better than you think, by teaching them how to resist temptations.

• Patriot says:

Believe it or not, I have been able to survive my whole life without having a facebook account.

• ninram says:

“Personally, I’d take my kids out of any school that isn’t preparing them to live in the world around them.”

It is! The world around them is very different than yours.

15. Dan T. says:

Religion is superstitious nonsense, and organized religion is a repressive institution run by power freaks. Mankind would be better off without any of it.

• Kuri says:

I doubt you would see the irony of your statement.

• Bladerunner says:

I’m not sure I see it either…Dan wasn’t advocating preventing people from having religion (which would be ironic, if the reasoning is because religion is oppressive) but rather making a statement of opinion that it would be better if it was gone, with the reason being its oppressive nature.

16. Emily says:

Children have civil rights, including the right to free speech (which this would fall under). A school has no right to dictate to them in this area.

The school could reasonably institute a rule that kids can’t use Facebook while in school, but here they’re attempting to invade the kids’ personal lives.

17. ScarletAnn says:

I make my own Talmidic law at home

18. Lauren-XX says:

If by attending this school they agreed to this policy, then the parents have given up their children’s right to free speech for them. We live in a free country, no one forced them to choose this private school, there are plenty of other schools, public and private, that will allow the students to have Facebook. I don’t see what the issue is.

• Kuri says:

I think the issue is the school getting into matters that they really don’t have any business dictating, public or private.

• homehome says:

And if they don’t like it they can leave. If you’re in a private school either go by their rules or leave. This isn’t a free speech issue and none of that crap. I hate when ppl bring free speech in irrelevant situations. If they don’t like it, their parents can take em somewhere else. Nobody is holding them there, stop crying.

19. Hartwig says:

Everyone should have a fake facebook account only their friends know their name on. Or these students should set their profiles to private and remove a picture of themselves as their profile pic. There are ways to not get found.

• BradC says:

Kids are pretty smart. I’m sure it will only take a couple of days for them to realize they can make a fake account for another kid they don’t like to get them in trouble.

• missy070203 says:

so instead of following a rule they agreed to during enrollment your suggesting they get better at hiding things ???

• Hartwig says:

The kids don’t get a choice on where they go it is their parents who chose to enroll them. If the child feels it is okay to have a facebook account and their parents don’t object i am not sure the school should be able to stop them.

I would also like to see every kid get a facebook account and see if the school tries to expel them all. Would be a quick way to shut the school down for a stupid rule.

20. SilverBlade2k says:

This will achieve nothing except to encourage the students to hide their facebook account and remove any identifying pictures of themselves.

Kids are far more tech savvy then adults are these days.

• red says:

Exactly. The answer is easy: maximum privacy settings, change the account name, and no photo tagging. Before I delete my facebook, I had it set so no one could find it….only my friends could see it.

If caught, say someone else is posting for you. Good luck proving its yours unless they want to request IP addresses.

21. Blueskylaw says:

“students had been encouraged to create Facebook accounts last year so they could vote for the school in a charity giveaway contest operated by Kohl’s”

So the school encouraged the students to sign up for Facebook, they were probably told to “LIKE” Kohls and Kohls maybe decided to just give some money to the school?

22. CubeRat says:

I read an article about this earlier that said this is a private Orthadox Jewish Girls school. The girls all (not just 11th grade) have until next week to close their account AND pay the $100 fine, if they don’t they WILL be expelled.

And I’d be suprised if the parents of these girls would object to this. If you are sending your child to an religious single sex school, likely you agree with the religious restrictions.

23. gman863 says:

Given this type of social media beat down, I wonder how many of these kids will dump the Jewish faith like a hot rock on their 18th birthday.

• bluline says:

Probably not very many, if any. The Jewish community, especially the orthodox community, is incredibly strong and few break away from it.

24. IowaCowboy says:

Based on what I’ve read, Mark Zuckerburg was raised in the Jewish faith.

25. AdviceDog says:

Is it insensitive to think, “Well, good thing their families had a lot of practice changing their last names.”?

26. lilspooky says:

No school public or private has the authority to dictate what a student can or cant do when off school grounds in the privacy of there own home. This is way beyond there reach. I would urge parents to start a class action law suit against the school.

• bluline says:

They would lose. In fact, no competent lawyer would even agree to take the case. There’s a huge difference between public and private institutions. If you choose to join a private institution (and it is a choice), you agree to follow the rules they establish. If you don’t agree with the rules, you are free to go to a private school that has more liberal rules or to a public school that cannot enact a no-Facebook rule.

• parabola101 says:

I agree with you!! No internet while the student is in school… BUT to try to control what the student does at home is just plain SCARY in a private or public setting.

27. NumberSix says:

Again, I ask; why state that you have one in the first place?

28. SlimDan22 says:

Kind of reminds me of the private school by my house that required parents to volunteer for yearly fundraisers or face a $500 fine (Attached to Tuition of course)

29. ganon446 says:

This is a private school not public of you do not like the way the religion is run why you going to this school?

I think some cafeteria catholic high school spoiled people into thinking private means public for people of low income and baptist minorities who get there on a scholarship so they can behave however. Note I am an minority in this country.

This is like going into a church and demanding they stop praying because your an atheist in a church shelter

30. parabola101 says:

I think it’s fine for a school to control what goes on while the student is in school, but to extend that control to what the student does while they are at home is crossing the line. More parents should push back!!

31. corridor7f says:

School as an instituion, still going strong. Why don’t they just block FB from being accessed at school?

..and hire a new PR person and perhaps get your policies straight, stupid or otherwise, at least know what they are.

“In communities they don’t want anybody to have the Internet, especially not Facebook,” the school’s president told 1010 WINS radio in NYC. Thanks for speaking for all of us there, Pres.

32. JosephFinn says:

Bugger off. If it’s not during school time or on school grounds, it’s none of your business.

33. Jonwain says:

Schools are VERY much able to dictate what happens outsides of the school hours. The Minnesota State High School League (governs all HS sports in MN) will not allow for any sport participant to smoke cigarettes, even if of legal age in the state of MN (18 years old). I knew of several people that were 18 years old in high school that were kicked off of teams for smoking tobacco, a legal substance to smoke for people their age. This is no different. Facebook is technically allowed for any person over the age of 13 (re: Facebook’s TOS). The school is simply using it’s right as a private institution to control the members of the group. You don’t have to agree with it…in fact, if you don’t, you should not send your kids to their school. It really is as simple as that! These kids can leave and go to any other school if they want!

34. thomwithanh says:

If you’re under 18, you should not be on Facebook. Period.

35. RayanneGraff says:

Ah, the internet… full of knowledge, which is the biggest threat to religion. Of course they don’t want kids having access to it, they might start to THINK & possibly leave the church(or temple, in this case).

36. JonBoy470 says:

The school, as a private, religious institution, has every legal right to enact such a policy. Furthermore, the students are (presumably) all minors, so their parents are legally able to agree to such policies on their behalf.

That said, this policy is retarded, as it is completely unenforceable. And I’m intentionally ignoring the hypocrisy inherent in this policy in that the only way to potentially enforce it would be by having and using a Facebook account that has permission to view details of the target’s account. And that the target could counter any such attempt with total effectiveness via proper selection of privacy settings.

Practically by design, Facebook takes no steps to authenticate its users or the information they post on the site. Facebook takes no steps to establish that an account-holder’s provided information is genuine (or, for most information, even present, let alone accurate). Sure they ask for that information, but don’t force you to give it, or authenticate what you have given. This extends even to photos of oneself. Creating an account (or modifying an existing account) with an assumed name and contact info is trivial. One can create a Facebook account for another person without their knowledge. Creating a completely contrived Facebook account, depicting an entirely fictitious individual, is similarly trivial.

In short, it is impossible for anyone to authoritatively prove that they do not have a Facebook account.

37. 2 Replies says:

Being against Facebook for religious reasons is just plain ridiculous.
    But then,,, it IS perfectly on par with religious logic.

IMO, the school needs to fuck off.
    The school has all the right to enforce rules that apply during SCHOOL HOURS, but after hours and off campus the school has rights to enforce JACK SQUAT.

38. No Fat Chicks says:

Educators should NEVER be administrators. PERIOD!

39. Admiral_John says:

It’s a private religious school and if Facebook goes against what the school and its associate religion believe then they have every right to do this.

If the parents disagree, they can pull their kids out and send them somewhere else.

40. aleck says:

I don’t know why everybody is up in arms. Amish have restrictions about the use of technology that we all know about. These are not imposed by the school administration, but the community religious practices, which the school teaches and enforces. It does seem unsual that a community in the middle of New York City rejects internet, but that’s just their beliefs.

41. BigDragon says:

Yes, people with Facebook aren’t allowed to have accounts and must give over their passwords or shut the account down. People with Google+, XTube, DeviantArt, Blogspot, Photobucket, and other social sites can keep their accounts and operate normally.

Does anyone else see how silly this is? Facebook isn’t the only social solution. I’m so glad better services get the pass.

42. Sajanas says:

These people have a fairly nicely laid out website for people that don’t believe in children (and presumably anyone) using the internet.

43. J.Heck says:

All this rule is going to do is force these girls to create (more) fake profiles on Facebook. That’s already a big enough problem as it is. And how can Facebook break personal modesty? There’s no rule saying you have to make a sexy, drunken photo as your primary picture. One of my best friends is Pentecostal and she’s managed to keep her modesty online. Jeez.

And that’s such crap that they were only asking parents to make FB profiles for the Kohl’s giveaway. Everybody involved in that contest were practically virtually-scrabling over each other to win. It was disgusting to log on every day to check where our school stood and see students from other schools leaving horrible comments about our school and our students when we were in it because our school was destroyed by an EF4 tornado.

44. Travtastic says:

Gosh darn it, it’s a private school. If parents don’t like it, they can pull their kids out. If parents do like it, it’s totally okay to raise children pretending that there is no internet.

45. MECmouse says:

I went to public school and we had rules there too. They were called ethics regulations or something or other. You could be barred from participating in sports or other school activities if caught doing something the school decided was unethical (drinking, smoking, etc.) off school grounds and after school hours.

The only argument that really gets tossed around is when children are caught doing something they’re not supposed to be doing, who was supposed to tell them about it/enforce it or suddenly get indignant about it.

I know I’m not supposed to speed while driving but I do it. If I get caught, I get a ticket. I don’t act like I didn’t know about it or like I’m being persecuted. The parents put them in this school (PAID for them to go to this school) and should stand behind the school’s decision or pull their kids out.