Family Booted From JetBlue Flight Over Toddler Tantrum

Where does a plane’s flight crew draw the line between a mere annoyance and someone so distracting they need to be removed from the plane. That’s the question being asked after a family says they were taken off a JetBlue flight because their 2-year-old daughter threw a tantrum while boarding.

The family was boarding the JetBlue flight from the Turks and Caicos to Boston when their youngest child refused to sit in her seat.

But even after the parents managed to get her seated and buckled in, a flight attendant told them the plane was being turned back to the gate and they were being taken off the flight.

“We did what we were asked to do. We weren’t belligerent, drunk, angry or screaming. We were just having a hard time struggling with our children,” said the mom.

Since there were no other flights to Boston that night, the family had to book a hotel room. Between that and rebooking their flight, they say the ordeal cost them an additional $2,000.

JetBlue issued the following statement regarding the situation:

Flight 850… had customers that did not comply with crewmember instructions for a prolonged time period. The Captain elected to remove the customers involved for the safety of all customers and crewmembers on board.

“I don’t know that I could blame JetBlue, to be totally fair,” said the mom. “I just feel like it’s airplane travel today in general. I was certainly upset by the way this flight attendant handled the situation. As a result, yeah, I would probably try to avoid JetBlue in the future.”

Airline grounds family for fussy toddler [WJAR]

Comments

1. milkcake says:

You avoid Jetblue, I get on Jetblue. Thanks!

• StarKillerX says:

Yep, one more reason to love Jetblue!

• Earl Butz says:

I will be booking a flight with them this year (I have to take three) if this is how they handle passengers who won’t keep themselves or their kids under control.

I’m too old and ornery to be dealing with some little “special snowflake” wailing itself into a seizure while the parents stand there beaming over their little charming tot’s ability to express itself. Fuck that. Life’s too short.

• caradrake says:

In this case, I don’t think the parents were “beaming over their little charming tot.” It seemed like they were doing everything they could, including forcefully holding the child down to be belted.

• longfeltwant says:

The one thing they weren’t doing is the one thing I think parents should do in such a situation: volunteer to deboard the plane, lest they ruin several hours of the lives of hundreds of fellow passengers. It sounds to me as though JetBlue made up for the lack of personal ethics on the part of the parents, by demanding that they meet that standard of civility.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

I don’t often agree with you but this time your comment is spot on. JetBlue only did what the parents seemed incapable of doing on their own — not subjecting an entire plane to their kid’s tantrum. No different than being at a restaurant or movie theater. You pick up your child and drag them out until their behavior becomes acceptable. You don’t force other people to endure them.

Parents seem to forget this basic part of human courtesy. Just because you chose to have kids doesn’t mean everyone else should have to put up with them when they misbehave.

• bluline says:

It is different. Leaving a movie or restaurant involves minimal cost. Leaving a plane, especially when you aren’t in your home city, involves not only the loss of the tickets but also a possible additional overnight stay. That’s what happened to this family. It cost them an extra $2,000. I highly doubt you’d pick up your family and voluntarily leave the plane if you knew it would cost you two grand.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

I have five of the little buggers and personally, I agree with JetBlue in this case. If your child is causing enough of a disruption that the pilot feels it’s unsafe to continue, then YOU as the parent are at fault.

Yes, it sucks that it cost them that amount of money and yeah, kids sometimes can’t be controlled but I don’t want someone’s offspring putting me and mine at risk. Good on JetBlue for controlling the situation. If they really wanted to get some good PR outta this, they could’ve assisted the family with a price break on rebooking.

• ugly says:

If you don’t like kids, don’t go out of your house. You have no more right to public spaces as they do.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

I don’t have anything against kids. I love kids. As long a 1.) they’re someone else’s, and 2.) they are well-behaved.

You certainly do not have the right to subject innocent bystanders to your precious little snowflake’s tantrums, nor the right to disrupt our quiet enjoyment of public places, including, but not limited to, restaurants, parks, beaches, movie theaters, musical theater or concerts, shopping malls, supermarkets, or the laundromat.

• ugly says:

Turns out that you’re pretty much wrong about most of your post. There is no such thing as the right to quiet enjoyment of a public place.

Children are allowed to be out in public. In all of the places you list. If the private properties decide to construct rules about those children’s behavior, then they have that right by all means. Short of that, neither you nor anyone else, should expect a specific behavior. I support theatres and restaurants that have those rules, I think it makes it fair and clear for everyone.

What happens when someone starts contending that they have rights that directly infringe on someone else’s rights is a completely different matter. That person ends up looking like a bit of an entitled individual.

• RayanneGraff says:

Exactly. Parents have no right to take ill-behaved children out in public if they can’t behave. Their brat’s “right” to scream ends where my ears begin.

• ugly says:

We agree at some point reasonable people would remove their children. I’m just saying that there’s a spectrum that is what is acceptable. That moves depending on where people are, what they’re doing etc.

Also, it moves quite a bit with the individual, and no individual person should be the one setting it on behalf of the entire public. An establishment should set it’s own bar (private) and society in general is fairly tolerant in places like a public park, shopping mall, and less tolerant in places like a restaurant or a theatre. That’s perfectly normal.

What’s not normal is someone feeling that as soon as the sound hits their ears that they are immediately the jury and executioner, and that the world owes it to them to not produce any sounds they don’t enjoy. THAT kind of person acting equally self entitled and anti socially than parents who wouldn’t under any circumstances take a screaming child from an inappropriate place. THAT kind of person should also stay inside and avoid public places.

• axhandler1 says:

Wow. They certainly do come off that way. Way to make your point by reinforcing it yourself.

• balderdashed says:

Turns out that you’re completely wrong. “Interesting monster” did not claim that there is a “right to quiet enjoyment of a public space.” I’d agree that generally there is no such right — as there is in the case of a tenant or landowner, for example. It is a somewhat different matter to suggest that one does not have the right (legal, moral, or otherwise) to subject others to the kind of outrageous behavior described in the JetBlue incident. For one thing, the poster does not appear to be making an exclusively legal argument here. However, if the poster had made the argument you claim, you would still be wrong in insisting, “There is no such thing as the right to quiet enjoyment of a public place.” In fact, there are public nuisance statutes on the books in many jurisdictions that specifically include such language — one such statute bans the loud playing of radios, musical instruments, etc. “on any public street, highway, building, sidewalk, park…or other public place” that would disturb “the quiet enjoyment” of that place. Obviously, it is unlikely that any such law could be used to silence a child’s tantrum — though a similar law might apply to a barking dog, which I personally find less objectionable than the behavior of some children whose parents apparently consider themselves “entitled” to disturb everyone around them.

• bluline says:

If you’re in a restaurant or someplace where leaving is easy, sure. But I highly doubt you’d voluntarily get off the plane if it was going to cost you $2,000, which is what it cost this family.

Look, I understand the frustration. I also understand what it’s like to be the parent of a two-year-old. Sometimes, despite the best training and efforts of the parents, a two-year-old will have a meltdown in public. It happened to me and my kid once in the middle of a flight and I wanted nothing more at that moment than to be able to open a window and toss the little bugger out. But you know what, he calmed down, the flight continued, and no one was the worse for wear.

• balderdashed says:

How do you know “no one was the worse for wear?” Did you poll every passenger on their reaction to your child’s meltdown, and how it affected their trip? No, you are assuming that because your child eventually calmed down, and you weren’t “the worse for wear,” other passengers who suffered through your child’s tantrum were similarly OK with the situation. That assumption seems naive, selfish — and typical. I can tell you that if I was trying to get some badly needed sleep, and was disturbed in the middle of a flight by a child whose tantrum was severe enough to make the mom want to “toss the little bugger” out the window, I would definitely be “the worse for wear.”

• dreamking says:

I think more parents would do that if they felt in control or had a solid understanding of the consequences of doing so. Volunteering might mean having to buy new tickets, or a ticket change upgrade. Being out potentially several hundreds of dollars, or having to stay

There is the legitimate question of whether or not the child was too young to travel (turks and caicos with a kid might have meant they went to the Beaches resort with a Sesame Street theme), but I think anyone jumping to a conclusion about their motivations, social sensitivity and parenting skills because they’ve had a bad experience…with some parent…somewhere…comes across as being almost as immature as the kid’s likely behavior.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“Special snowflake” only shows your total lack of understanding of the situation, and a complete bias.

• longfeltwant says:

Does it? Huh. It sounds quite spot-on and reasonable to me. What part don’t you like?

• Earl Butz says:

My bias is only against some little apple of some dimwit parent’s eye screeching it’s little lungs out without stopping, while I go slowly deaf on a trans-continental flight.

As far as my understanding of the situation, I understand it all too well: ineffective and stupid parents who have refused since day one to discipline their children properly caused an entire planeload of passengers to be hours late to their destination. When called on their worthlessness and shitty parenting, they went to the media and squalled about how awful and unfair Jet Blue was.

• Chris V says:

Sorry, you sound like some old jackass who never had children telling kids to get off his lawn. Two year olds scream and cry. They all do it, good parenting or not.

• bigTrue says:

If your kid does this, you know it. If you know it and you bring it on a plane, that is a choice made in the thinking that your needs outweigh the comfort of a hundred or more people.

• Chris V says:

No, parents with children need to go places just like everyone else. You hope and plan to avert a major meltdown. But in the end, air travel is often the only reasonable choice when making travel arrangements.

We were all children once. We all threw temper tantrums. Have a little understanding for how bad you were once. And realize that the parents are working hard to minimize your momentary discomfort.

• Peacock (Now In Extra Crispy) says:

As someone who’s all too many front row seats on the Crying Baby Express, I completely agree. It’s bad, lazy parenting to allow your kid to scream and wail and disturb the entire plane and then to shrug your shoulders and say, what can I do, she’s just a child?

I’m a parent and my kids didn’t do this. They’ve been traveling since they were 6 months old. It’s up to the parents to make sure your children are socialized. This includes restaurants, movie theaters, airplanes–all public spaces.

• kella says:

Agree entirely, I don’t pay good money for a plane ticket just so I can hear some screaming kid. If you can’t control your children, don’t bring them. If you can’t find someone to leave them with, don’t go. Parenting is about sacrifice.

• Yomiko says:

Yeah. I love this:

Maybe you weren’t screaming, lady, but your kid was.

• HeatherLynn30 says:

I’m not a parent, but some of my best friends are, and one of the biggest things they stress aside from general good manners is how to behave in public. Seems like it ain’t that hard a lesson to instill, really.

Good for JetBlue.

• bassbeast says:

You’re definitely not a parent.

• berkeleydad says:

I’m a parent (3.5 yr old and 6 yr old) and I agree with kella. Akin to teaching one’s children how to cross the street, eat their vegetables, etal., proper behavior in public places should be stressed. I’m appalled when I see parents basically shrug their shoulders that that “what can you do? they’re children” attitude. Basically, it’s lazy parenting.

2. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Good on the pilot and jetBlue.

3. r-nice says:

“We were holding them down with all of our might, seat belt on. And I said, ‘We have them seated. Can we go now?’ She said the pilot’s made a decision to turn the plane around,” Vieau said.

My question is did the child really calm down or did they just have her in the kung fu grip.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

Instead of a kung fu grip, they should have used a Vulcan nerve pinch instead.

I have been advocating for a Toddler Taser or Toddler Tranq Gun for a while, but I don’t think we will ever get there, not in today’s society!

• fieldy920 says:

Is it really that hard to give your kid some Benadryl before the flight?

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

Oh, the taser and tranq are more for my insane niece, had nothing to do with flights! But yeah, Benadryl would have helped in this situation, most likely!

• VeiledThreats says:

Unless they have a child who reacts the opposite to Benadryl as some do…hyperactivity!

• CharlesFarley says:

One….and the bonus.

• El_Fez says:

Dont you know anything? Just slip ‘em a little NyQuil and we’re good to go!

• SilentAgenger says:

Wow, reminds me of the time I participated in a “submit-your-half-baked-idea-and-maybe-we’ll-develop-it-and-you’ll-get-rich” type meeting and pitched a special ring containing knock-out gas. It was for parents who had no other choice and absolutely needed to calm their out of control child immediately. I assured that the gas would have to be non-chemical and harmless. The pitch was met with stone cold silence and many evil glares. Even when I joke about it now, people react as if I was crazy. Like now!

• HSVhockey says:

Shut up and take my (investment) money.

• longfeltwant says:

That sounds like a good idea, but how the heck would you make the gas “non chemical”? What kind of substance is non-chemical?

• CTrees says:

Vacuum? Remove all the air, and compliance comes swiftly. Now, that’s technically the abscence of a gas, and the mechanism could be difficult, but it meets the “non-chemical” requirement.

• longfeltwant says:

Ha, ha. Okay, a vacuum isn’t a chemical, but neither is it a ‘substance’ nor a ‘gas’. But if you can make it work, then sweet.

• kobresia says:

Added benefit, sound can’t travel in a vacuum. Nobody can hear you scream!

• Jane_Gage says:

The cargo hold is airtight, right? That’s where we put dogs too, so we know it can sustain life.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

Try whiskey. Knocks ‘em out stone cold in no time flat.

• EllenRose says:

The 19th-century treatment for this problem was laudanum. But you wouldn’t want to use it too often or the kid would get hooked.

• delicatedisarray says:

Same, holding your child down with all of your might does not equal your child calming down. I can assure you that I would complain if there was child having a fit on the plane I was on.

4. crispyduck13 says:

“I don’t know that I could blame JetBlue, to be totally fair…”

I was expecting a much more unresonable quote. I officially feel bad for them, but it’s reminding me again how unwise it is to try and fly with a child under 5.

• JKinNYC says:

Unwise for those folks. Not everyone has those issues. I’ve flown to and from Isreal, Paris and Peru with no issue with kids.

• Jevia says:

My kids have generally behaved well on airplanes (flying since they were babies).

I do agree that airtravel has gotten more stressful over the years and no doubt kids react to everybody else’s stress even more so, which certainly doesn’t help the problem.

• El_Fez says:

And yet she follows it up with “I would probably try to avoid JetBlue in the future.”

So she doesn’t blame the company for their actions over her unruly spawn, and yet she boycotts them over their their actions regarding her unruly spawn.

• JennQPublic says:

She specifically says that she would avoid them *as a result* of the flight attendant’s handling of the situation, not because they kicked her off.

5. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

Sounds like a super soft parent, who do not have their kid(s) in check ! It’s all too common now & days. I’m not about hitting your children, but some parents today, also go off the extreme to the other end.

• Captain Spock says:

I’m sorry, but you can be as stern as you want, but a 2 year old sometimes cannot be controlled. My fiance works in a daycare/pre-school and I hear the stories every night.

• foodfeed says:

True that. A 2 year old has not developed adult reasoning skills and is about equivalent to a belligerent elderly drunkard but easier to pick up and tolerate.

• longfeltwant says:

I don’t expect two-year-olds to be reasonable human beings. I don’t think anyone does.

What we expect is that when they are unreasonable, the same standard will be applied to them, as would be any human being: they must be removed from the situation. If you are a child having a tantrum, then it’s time to take you home. If you are a teenager having a tantrum, then it’s time to take you home. If you are an adult having a tantrum, then you get arrested. It’s a consistent standard.

• AtlantaCPA says:

It’s unwise to judge someone’s parenting based on one incident involving a 2 year old. As some others have noted, children are not predictable/consistent, especially at that age. In some ways 2 year olds are really still babies in the way they process emotion, they just have some verbal and physical skills as well.

I think you generally CAN judge a parent on how their child acts over a longer period of time (barring things like developmental disabilities), but since they were taken off the flight immediately we’ll never know what they really are like.

• DarthCoven says:

Seeing as the pilot had to turn the plane around and go back to the gate it seems like this was a little bit longer than “immediately”

• AtlantaCPA says:

Please respond to my point and not a red herring. Perhaps I should have said “after this one incident” instead of immediately but my point is the same. I’m not saying taking them off was the right or wrong thing to do, I’m just saying you can’t judge parenting based on one tantrum. Kids have tantrums no matter what kind of parent you are, the quality and quantity will differ based on parenting but we don’t know quality from the article (very subjective) and we know the quantity was one, so don’t immediately say they are bad parents. There are indications they might be, but it’s a pretty judgmental leap to say they are based on this info.

• NumberSix says:

You sound like a person without a kid. I used to be you…

• chiieddy says:

I don’t have kids and I know melt downs happen even with the best parents. They are completely not logical (I’ve heard a kids screaming about wanting to eat at the end of the table and the table is round). The problem is there’s no real good way to handle it except by letting the tantrum work itself out, which is not pleasant in a small space, obviously. If they’ve already left the gate, the parents can’t easily deplane and what would the FA do if this happened mid-flight?

• Nyxalinth says:

“I used to have a life like you, then I took a child to the lifestyle” :P

• JennQPublic says:

I don’t have to have kids of my own to realize that it can be near-impossible to keep a two-year-old “in check”. It has nothing to do with parental control, a child that young is not capable of controlling their own emotions yet.

Mom said she doesn’t blame the airline for kicking them off the plane, so she sounds pretty reasonable to me.

• LuzioFantazmic says:

You don’t have kids, do you. I have 6.

The first 5, all at the ages of 2 and 3, we were able to go on planes, out to eat and other public things with out the kids causing one single problem. People would actually come up to us and compliment on how well they were behaving.

Now we have the 6th child who now is 2. We cannot go anywhere with her. No place. Not out to eat. Not to the movies. And especially not on a plane, even though the grand mother thinks we should put her on a plane to Disney. Not Happening She throws fits, refuses to sit still, and is a poster child for the terrible twos.

What I am saying, it completely depends on the personality of the child. They are all different, and no amount of parenting can keep a stubborn hyperactive 2 year old “in check” as you put it. 2 year olds have no reasoning power. If they want something, they will scream until they get it if they have that type of personality.

I’m 5 for 6 when it comes to well behaved children and I like that record.

• CTrees says:

“And especially not on a plane”

But see, you’ve realized that kid shouldn’t be on a plane. Some kids can handle it, some can’t. If your little moonpie can’t behave on a flight, DON’T PUT THEM ON A FLIGHT.

Thank you, Luzio. Wish more people were as responsible and respectful of their impact on others.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I had no idea where Turks and Caicos was so I looked it up. I’m pretty sure Jet Blue doesn’t fly direct there and it’s like a 7 hour trip with a layover built in. I’ve had itineraries like that, and I was pretty cranky. A kid wouldn’t have the control and rational thinking to NOT have a meltdown, so I get why the kid might have been freaking out, but I do solely blame the parents for this one. That’s a pretty heavy day of traveling for an adult, let alone a kid.

• JonBoy470 says:

Boston to Aruba is a 5 hour flight on an American Airlines 757. Turk and Caicos isn’t nearly that far. Maybe 3 or 4 hours in an A320?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I just looked up a flight and it was pretty much a 7 hour trip from start to finish, including a layover. A flight leaving Boston at 7:20 am would arrive in Turks and Caicos at 1:51 pm. That’s nearly 6.5 hours including the layover. It’s still a lot of time traveling, even if the flights aren’t more than about 5 hours total.

• Firethorn says:

Sometimes you might not have much of a choice though – Some examples I can think of is: Job move, such as military PCS, family emergency where somebody in the family has to go to a hospital in some other region for treatment. Death in the family, etc…

Drugging the kid can be the best option, plenty of adults drug themselves to fly.

6. Tegan says:

As usual, I’m pretty sure the parents are trying to downplay their kid’s behaviour. This from another source:

In a statement, JetBlue said that the flight “had customers that did not comply with crew member instructions for a prolonged time period. The captain elected to remove the customers involved for the safety of all customers and crew members on board.”

7. Lyn Torden says:

I blame the toddler. Family needs to charter a private jet.

• lihtox says:

No, they should put their kids in suspended animation until they’re adults. Kids are such a hassle.

8. kobresia says:

Good on Jetblue.

Dumb mother for not just accepting full responsibility for her inability to manage her tot & get it to sit still. Just because she can’t control her out-of-control sprog doesn’t mean it’s okay to inflict the tantrum on all the other passengers OR that the flight crew’s safety instructions are optional. The family should’ve turned around and gotten back off the plane voluntarily LONG before they all got the boot.

• Gorbachev says:

You’re a fucking idiot.

There isn’t a thing you can do to a two-year-old short of punching or medicating them unconscious if she decides she’s gonna be trouble. Two-year-olds are too young to really “talk to”. You can distract them, maybe, with a favorite toy, but even that doesn’t really work all the time.

• DoodlestheGreat says:

Then the parents should be aware that she’s going to act this way and stop taking her on flights.

• HSVhockey says:

Cry me a river.

• CartmanPat says:

You’re wrong. There is something you can do about your kid freaking out in public. Leave the little asshole at home.

• mearow says:

That’s what I do. When I have to travel out of state for a funeral, I just leave the tot at home with an open jar of peanut butter and a opened bag of wonder bread.

• DarthCoven says:

That bag is a choking hazard, ya know…

• CartmanPat says:

Good for you! You’re one of the good ones. I mean, we all know that it’s impossible to have anyone look after your child, so the only options are to take them, or leave them home alone.

Obviously.

• r-nice says:

Real mature.

• kobresia says:

Right back atcha.

The answer is simple: “Don’t fly with your sprog if your sprog won’t behave.”

Also see: “Don’t go to the restaurant with your sprog if your sprog won’t behave,” and, “Don’t go to the theater with your sprog if your sprog won’t behave.”

It is wrong to abuse or medicate children into behaving. Having kids is a choice, and it’s extremely selfish and inconsiderate to think it’s okay to subject others to the consequences of your personal choice. That means if your kid won’t behave, YOU miss your flight or sit home, inconvenienced. You don’t inconvenience others, and you most certainly don’t take it out on the kid. You have only yourself to blame, and inconvenience just comes with the territory.

The parents in this story were stupid, selfish, borderline abusive, and utterly incompetent for not realizing within a minute or two that the kid just wasn’t going to sit the fuck still. Wrestling her down for several minutes “with all their strength” is not the appropriate way to handle the situation. Deplaning and coping with the disappointment is the appropriate way to handle it.

• StarKillerX says:

+1000

• Gorbachev says:

You really are an idiot.

Get over yourself.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

Sorry, but he’s 100% right. The answer is yes, you’re stuck at home if your child cannot behave properly in public. Your desire to get out of the house doesn’t supersede everyone else’s right to not have to endure screaming children. You’re also not doing your kids any favors. They learn pretty quickly the consequences of not behaving appropriately when Mommy has to drag them to the car for a time-out.

• longfeltwant says:

“So because I young kids, I should be restricted to my home”

Um… yes? I mean, not really, they way I would phrase it has a couple essential qualifiers:

“Because you are responsible for the behavior of your young children, you are obligated to bodily remove them from situations when their behavior is out of social bounds.” You don’t have to stay home with them, but you do have to stay out of any situation where their presence is unwelcome.

• Earl Butz says:

“So because I young kids, I should be restricted to my home, because some precious little asshole like you can’t stand crying.”

Precisely. Preferably by force of law. We done here?

• kobresia says:

Back atcha a few times over.

You’re not only an idiot, but an entitled asshole.

You don’t have to stay home wallowing in inconvenience all the time, only when your kids misbehave. It’s not that you can’t or shouldn’t take flights anywhere, only that you shouldn’t when your kids are misbehaving. Get over yourself, otherwise you’re setting an example for your kids that rude, selfish, and inconsiderate behavior is perfectly acceptable. And then they’ll probably grow-up to be bad people.

• ugly says:

Actually, you’re clearly the one acting entitled here.

You are claiming a right (i.e. an entitlement) to something that you don’t actually have any real claim to. That’s basically the definition.

Maybe you should look up the words you’re using before posting.

• kobresia says:

What am I acting “entitled” to?

Being able to fly, dine, or watch a movie with a reasonable amount of peace? Not have my flight delayed because someone has to be removed from the plane due to bad behavior? Why yes, yes I am entitled to those things.

Buying the same ticket as everyone else to board a plane, or buying a meal at a restaurant, or a theater ticket does NOT entitle someone to make everyone else miserable and ignore the rules. I think you’ll find that’s why the family got thrown off the flight, as do boorish drunks and other people who are excessively inconsiderate and don’t do what they’re supposed to.

• Supernautus says:

It also doesn’t entitle anyone on the plane to a noise free flight, it just entitles them to a flight from point a, to point b. If you choose to take the child off the plane, you are choosing to give them what they want, this is not a punishment for bad behaviour.

• Dieflatermous says:

Oh the childfree lingo comes out and your true colors show, boo hoo hoo you don’t get to act like a child, how dare kids do so.

• longfeltwant says:

Whoa. What? Of course there is something you can do: physically pick up your two-year-old, and physically transport them back to your home. You have now acted as an ethical human being in a human society: you are no longer inflicting the bad behavior of your children onto others. Once the plane is in the air, there is less you can do, but about 30 seconds after the child’s tantrum started, the child should have been slung over mommy’s or daddy’s shoulder, being removed from the situation.

• katarzyna says:

Father isn’t responsible for his kids in your world?

• kobresia says:

He wasn’t whining to the media. If he was and they just didn’t report on it, then he’s dumb too.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Normally, I’d jump on that bandwagon, but the article only quotes the mom. She’s obviously the spokesperson for that family in this instance, so the onus is on her to explain her actions.

9. Brontide says:

2 kids would not sit still without parents holding them down? I agree with captain and crew, this was asking for trouble. I would presume that JetBlue would have acted differently if the children did not have be restrained by both parents to stay in their seats.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I tried to think what my parents would have done if this were me, and I can’t imagine it, as I was taught from a very early age to behave and there were consequences if I started tossing fits.

I’m sure these kids were given a 2 minute time out when they got home.

• Conformist138 says:

No kidding. I could fly with minimal fussing at that age. My niece is in a stage where she hates to leave anywhere – doesn’t matter where it is, she is just anti-leaving, so she would probably have a small fit getting on a plane right now, but I can’t imagine her not calming down within a few minutes. Someone just has to say “Do you need me to find a corner?” “N-n-nooo” “Ok, then you have to sit down and be quiet right now. Understand?” “Y-y-yes-s” And she sits. I have NEVER seen her so out of control she needed to be physically restrained and forced like that.

10. kaptainkk says:

All you DINKs and SINKs shut the hell up. I can see it coming! You all hate kids that’s why you don’t have any and feel kids should be banned from planes. I feel for the family because I know how difficult it is to control children sometimes but anyone that flyies from Turks and Caicos on a whim can afford the $2k additional spent.

• HSVhockey says:

Yep, and I you(OP/other parents) get no sympathy from me. Unless of course your kid has some sort of mental problem, which is sad and I truly feel bad. Other than that your kids are not my problem. /SINK

• DoodlestheGreat says:

If you can’t control your kids, you don’t take them where their lack of discipline effects the lives of others in such a negative way. Simple as that. My family operated in this manner, and damned if we didn’t turn out more polite than most.

• Earl Butz says:

I don’t hate kids. Just yours. And ones like the vile squalling spawn mentioned in the OP.

• kaptainkk says:

Too bad your parents didn’t believe in abortion. You don’t know anything about my kids and you don’t know how well mannered they are, I just happen to be a parent and can relate to other parents that have difficulties with their children.

• Earl Butz says:

Ahhh, yes, the time-honored “I just happen to be a parent ” cross. Would you like some help getting up? Pounding in that last nail is always hard, I can help with that if you like.

And then you can just continue your bawling about how special you and your little snowflake family are. I expect your kids will turn out just as good as you have.

• mramos says:

I don’t hate kids but I’m 25, unmarried, still going to school, and live in a small apartment. Having kids would be grossly irresponsible at the current time. Another thing that’s grossly irresponsible is putting uncontrollable kids in a situation where they ruin the enjoyment of an activity for everyone else. You seem to think people should have to put up with your brats because raising kids is so hard. You should have the decent and respect for other people to not ruin their experience purely for your own selfishness.

• belanos says:

I have kids and we would have never even considered taking them as toddlers on a flight for a vacation..and they were even well-mannered. I don’t understand why parents do this.

• adamwade says:

Same reason they take them to nice restaurants, or movies (I have seen babies and toddlers in R-rated films), or any other place: because they feel entitled to continue living their lives as if they do not have children. They do not feel like their lives should change one bit just because they have kids, they are just another accessory to lug around as they go about their normal lives. These parents don’t know what parenting is – they simply try to “manage” their children as they live their lives just like before.

• farker22 says:

dont feed this troll…

• Nyxalinth says:

I don’t hate them at all. If I did, I’d ignore the fact that I didn’t come equipped with a mommy gene and have them anyway and go on living like I never had them. Happens every day, it’s called abuse and neglect.

But I’m not a kid person, and I respect that in myself, and am not afraid of people like you to the point where I make a wrong choice for fear of being called a horrible person.

• theconversationalist says:

Parents these days are so helpless…

We have two kids 3 years apart and we flew with them numerous times from a young age. They knew what was expected of them and would never have thrown a tantrum like this.

We also hedged our bets when they were under 5 with NyQuil before leaving for the airport and making sure they had whatever huggable item made them feel safe and comfortable.

• Jules Noctambule says:

Back when I was a nanny, people like you paid me good money to teach their children how to behave properly in the adult world.

• ugly says:

There’s clearly a lot of people here who feel entitled to treating public places as their living rooms. Both parents with unruly children, and the other end of the spectrum who can’t stand to hear a single cry.

These are public places, there should be reasonable accommodation on both sides. If you can’t stand to hear children, stay in your house and order takeout. If your children simply cannot ever be quiet, try and teach them.

What the “snowflake” crowd (and by that I mean those that use ‘precious snowflake’ whether in the anti, or pro-children side) fail to realize is that 90% of the population is in the the middle of the spectrum. They realize that kids will sometimes make noise. Reasonable parents will work to keep their kids well behaved, reasonable non-parents will understand that it’s not a lock, and there will be crying.

Over entitled opinions on both sides are simply the product of selfish individuals. You can look up at 50% of the comments here and tell who can’t stand their fellow humans. To them I feel a great deal of pity because they’re obviously the ones that didn’t have good parents that showed them variety and tolerance. They feel that the world revolves around them, and they can’t even understand that it might not in all cases.

• Das G says:

Ironically, the ones that hate humans typically have cat avatars. I picture an old cat lady sitting around w/20 cats bitching about kids annoying them.

• adamwade says:

LOL. Someone is resentful of their children.

11. TubbysHut says:

It would suck to be on that flight but at some point the parents are doing all they can. I’ve avoided flights with my toddler for fear he’d freak out and we’d get booted.

12. keith4298 says:

Parent of a 2 year old here – if the kid had remained quiet for another 2 minutes and had the tantrum in the air, there would be no issue of turning around.

If you allow kids 2 and under to fly, they are going to have a tantrum every now and then. If you can’t handle that, don’t accept their money in advance. Kids have tantrums….news at 11.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

If you have kids under 2, you’re going to have to miss out on things and they’re going to cost you money every now and then because of their behavior. If you can’t handle that, don’t take them anywhere.

• SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

such as trips to the hospital via airlines for cancer treatment, or other special family events. I don’t feel right judging when I don’t have all the facts but in this case the blatant ignorance above is worth a comment or two. commenters, try considering the parent’s point of view. This is really the system we all have to deal with.

Chargeback for non-service.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

Yeah, you’re right. When a kid is ruining my dinner that I paid for in a restaurant because the parent won’t take them out, I should just consider their point of view. They paid for that meal and they should get to enjoy it (since they’re used to ignoring the screaming) and I should not get the same consideration because, hey, it’s the system we have to deal with. And since they might be there for cancer treatments or a special family event, it’s doubly important my meal get ruined.

• mramos says:

Perhaps you should learn how to control your kids better?

• kaptainkk says:

I can’t stand you people that have no kids and think you know what it is like to raise children. You have the “how hard can it be” attitude which equates to how ignorant you are.

• HSVhockey says:

Yeah because none of us “DINKs and SINKs” have younger siblings or friends we see often with kids who never act like little hell-spawn. We are all completely clueless.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Sometimes it’s a “how hard can it be?” attitude, and sometimes there’s the awareness that people are doing something that adversely affects others. I don’t have kids, and I am equally as frustrated by individuals who smoke in confined spaces, crowd around exits and make it hard for others to get out, people who to walk shoulder to shoulder and take up a sidewalk, and parents who can’t travel with their kids in a considerate and efficient manner.

In general, I’m just flat out tired of people who are unaware of their effect on others, and that can apply to all kinds of people, not just parents. I have just started to err on the side of caution. When I see a child on my train, I just kind of assume he or she is going to be loud and I don’t wait until it starts screaming to switch trains. When I get to a restaurant and I see we might be seated near kids, I ask for a different table. Similarly, I avoid places where I know people smoke outside. I can’t avoid tourists on my daily commute, but I try to be zen about it and help them understand the problem with what they’re doing.

• kaptainkk says:

Your attitude is another example, maybe it was a Freudian slip that caused you to type your thoughts in such a way….”When I see a child on my train” Your train?! Really? I assume you don‚Äôt allow smokers or Chinese people (they have no regards for spatial alignment, right) on it OR “I don’t wait until ‚Äúit‚Äù starts screaming to switch trains.” “It”?! You do realize a child is human being, maybe ‚Äúhe/she‚Äù would have been more appropriate and finally when you go to a restaurant and you see kids near, you ask for a different table. Tsk, tsk, your narcissism is so blatant. Jesus H. Christ on a crutch!! I sure hope you find that Utopia that you’re looking for.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think you’re getting supremely nitpicky about the words I used. Yes, I said “my train.” Not that I own the train, no, but that I am riding on that train, it is the same route and time schedule I take every day, and actually smoking is NOT allowed on THE train so if you’re smoking, you should be kicked off. As for Chinese people…well, that’s kind of funny since I’m Chinese. As for “it” – I used he or she before that, so get off your high horse. And what exactly is so wrong about wanting to enjoy a meal without being around children? I said in my post that I have begun to err on the side of caution because I have had too many bad experiences. By now, it’s just easier to assume kids might be loud and avoid the situation altogether. Just like I avoid places where people tend to smoke outside.

• The_IT_Crone says:

Um. Wow. You had to dig REALLY deep to find issue with what they said.

• RayanneGraff says:

Wow… you have some serious issues.

You’re seriously equating not wanting to sit by loud kids to being RACIST? You must have a problem with Chinese people, cause I’m pretty sure nobody here has any issue with sitting next to Asians, unless those Asians are behaving obnoxiously & bothering everyone around them.

And I know I’d definitely request to move if seated by a smoker. They STINK & I don’t wanna have to smell them.

• El_Fez says:

On the other hand, how hard can it be not to take your spawn on a plane? Pretty damn easy, actually.. If your unruly brat cant be mannered and well behaved in public, then don’t go out in public. Problem solved.

• Dallas_shopper says:

I don’t have children, but I know from experience that once a toddler is in full-blown meltdown, you often have no choice but to simply wait them out. It’s unfortunate that toddler meltdown time coincided with plane boarding time, but it can’t be helped.

Since I wasn’t there, I can’t judge whether the parents or flight crew acted appropriately or not.

However, you can’t keep up a kung-fu grip on a squirming toddler forever and if you let go and that kid starts running around the cabin, they become a danger to themselves and others. So I can see how the flight crew would remove children that they felt weren’t under control.

On the other hand, a meltdown usually doesn’t last that long because the kids will spend their energy pretty quickly, 10-15 minutes top…then they’ll sleep like the dead. I’m all for businesses banning screaming and/or unruly children but in this instance I’m willing to accept at least the possibility that the airline crew overreacted.

However…like I said…wasn’t there.

And yes, your job is hard. That’s why I didn’t volunteer for it.

• longfeltwant says:

But it can be helped. Parents have physical, bodily control over toddlers. You don’t have to stop the tantrum, you simply have to stop the tantrum HERE. Pick up your child with your two hands and walk away… keep walking until you get to a place where the tantrum is appropriate, which might be as far away as your home.

• axhandler1 says:

Lol, I wholeheartedly agree with you, but I think we can both agree it might be a little difficult to walk back to the states from Turks and Caicos.

• mramos says:

Millions of people fly every day with small children and don’t get kicked off. If you can’t control your child for a couple hours you shouldn’t take them on a small confined plane where they will disturb other passengers. It’s downright rude and selfish. Some issues are genetic or biological but many are just parental. Everyone paid for their seat, you don’t have the right to ruin their flight because it’s so hard raising your little hellspawn.

• Jules Noctambule says:

I hope you get stuck beside the obnoxious drunk guy on your next flight so you learn what spoiled kids turn into when they grow up

• CartmanPat says:

I’m sure it’s hard, I just don’t care. They’re your responsibility. You deal with it and leave me out of it. Why is that hard to grasp?

• orion70 says:

You’ve never offered your opinion on anything you’ve never personally experienced? Because honestly, some of the people I’ve heard utter the little gem about how the childfree should shut up about anything relating to children, are equally as opinionated on matters that they know dick all about.

• DoodlestheGreat says:

Responsible parents don’t take toddlers on long trips. News at 11:01.

• Gorbachev says:

Coddled little assholes can’t stand children crying. News at 11:02.

• longfeltwant says:

I love how you are advocating for the position that people should be forced to listen to your children cry. Good luck pushing that agenda. I don’t think you’ll get very far with either parents or non-parents. Nobody but you thinks that planes full of respectful quiet customers should be subjected to your brat’s wailing. But, I respect that you are advocating your position consistently — I simply disagree.

• RayanneGraff says:

I’m gonna hunt you down & follow you around, screaming in your ear all day long & see how much you like it. I’m an adult & I shouldn’t behave that way, you say? Oh… but I’m autistic >:) I have a nice case of Asperger’s. I don’t know any better & I can’t control my emotions sometimes. Sometimes I just GOTTA have a meltdown, and I might just do it right in your face.

Get ready to know how everyone else feels whenever you take your screaming shits out in public with zero consideration for anyone but yourself, jerk.

• belanos says:

Amen!

• CartmanPat says:

Cnt prnt trlls ppl wh dn’t lk t lstn t lttl kd scrm bcs th md th ws chc t rmn chldlss nd hpp, flm t :.

• j2.718ff says:

I like this. Many people make the point that responsible parents shouldn’t fly with children. I’m not going to argue whether that’s valid or not.

But airlines DO allow children to fly. Thus, airlines should understand that sometimes kids will act like kids.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

But there’s a reasonable limit to how much airlines tolerate. If it becomes a safety issue, or the potential for it to be an issue of safety and consideration for other passengers. it’s fair for airlines to weigh that before allowing children to proceed on a flight. There’s kids acting like kids, and then there’s the point where it might cause difficulties if a kid who was misbehaving a ton were to be unbuckled from a seat belt.

• longfeltwant says:

Airlines let anyone buy tickets, and reject any passenger who gets on a plane and doesn’t follow the rules.

Flying toddler? No problem. Tantrum toddler? Get off the plane.

Flying adult? No problem. Drunk or belligerent adult? Get off the plane.

The thing is, to me this standard is so plain and obvious that it’s hard to imagine that people disagree.

• kobresia says:

Yes, this is a perfect summary. It’s not a difficult concept, except maybe to people are so blinded by their sense of self-importance that they don’t think the rules apply to them and others should just silently endure them and/or their kids’ bad behavior.

I really, really like short & simple rules. Easy to understand, easy to recognize when they’re being broken, and easy remedy when they are broken.

• chucklebuck says:

I’m not sure the tantrum was the problem. It seems like it was more the fact that the parents couldn’t get the child to stay in his seat when required by the flight crew. From their point of view, that poses a real safety concern if the child can’t be reseated during turbulence, beverage service, etc. If it had just been that the child was screaming and throwing a fit in his seat, it would have been annoying for the other passengers, but probably would not have warranted removing them from the flight.

13. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Good for Jet Blue!

I wondered how the kids flew to the Turks and Caicos in the first place, how they acted when they were there, and why they were allowed to throw such a fit on the return flight to begin with.

I don’t think I would have taken small children on a trip like that in the first place. I would have either stayed home, or paid a relative to watch them while I went away. I doubt they’ll even remember they ever traveled there.

14. AustinTXProgrammer says:

The kids should have been seated before they left the gate. If unable to get the children to comply Jetblue should have offered to move them to a later (even next day flight). Making them pay for the flight at last minute fares seems a bit extreme.

• r-nice says:

That would’ve been nice of them but JetBlue had no obligation here.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

People do things that are the right thing without obligation all the time. JetBlue generally seems pretty customer focused so I’m surprised they didn’t here.

I wonder how much more to this story there is.

15. Hi_Hello says:

she need to learn the stare….

I thought all female are born with the ability to use the stare. I even seen female cats and dogs use the stare on their youngin.

• JKinNYC says:

I actually have perfected a better version of the stare than my wife. The one that says “Sit the F down and shut it or I’m going to go home and melt all your toys in the oven while singing Black Sabbath.” It works pretty well.

• Such an Interesting Monster says:

Yeah, my father had that look that said “if you don’t stop, and stop right now, I’m gonna fuck you up in ways your tiny little mind can’t even imagine once I get you home”.

My mother, instead of the look, had the “biting the hand” maneuver, which essentially said “and once your father is through with you it’ll be MY turn…”

Needless to say we were exceptionally well-behaved children despite my being somewhat hyperactive.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

The stare and the sharp Mom elbow jab. Deadly combination.

• scoosdad says:

It was mom’s sharp fingernails into the wrist, for us. Stopped us cold every time.

• hmburgers says:

The first time it happened it was a left eye bulge, hand over my mouth, other hand around my throat squeezing gently…

Apparently that was my mom’s “be silent or I WILL silence you” pose…

Eventually we got it down to a science… If I just saw the left eye bulge even slightly and I became like one of those fainting goats… whatever activity was going on ceased immediately, I stopped everything and flopped down, completely silent.

• Jules Noctambule says:

My mom used to be a teacher. She can freeze an adult in their tracks with a single glare.

• lettucefactory says:

That is true enough for older children, but a 2 year old just isn’t there yet between connecting The Glare with Serious Consequences and I’d Better Behave. At that age, they’re a ball of emotion and don’t have a great grasp on logic, especially in stressful situations. This is a frustrating thing about how these posts tend to go – folks remember how things were with mom and dad when they were 6 and assume the OP could just do the same with a toddler.

16. HowardRoarksTSquare says:

This is good, going forward I will try to purchase flights with this company.

I respect a company that values its customers and doesn’t pander to the whims of special and unique snowflakes that can’t keep quiet for more than 5 minutes in a given period of time. The only thing worse than some screaming bag of flesh ruining a meal is being trapped in a metal tube with a screaming bag of flesh for 5 hours on a flight from SFO to PHL

17. Pastry Minion says:

I feel bad for the family, but I can see why it’s a safety issue. Yes, they got the children restrained for the takeoff, but if at any point they needed to unbelt the kids (restroom visit) and the plane hit turbulence or another emergency situation where all passengers need to quickly fasten their belts, the kids or parents could be injured if they couldn’t get everyone secured fast enough.

My niece is two, and believe me- when she doesn’t want to get in the car seat, it can be a wrestling match. It’s easy to say that you’re bigger and stronger, but little kids are squirmy and surprisingly strong when they’re in the middle of a meltdown. I’ll eventually win, but if I had five seconds to do something while she was flailing and screaming, I don’t know that I could react that fast.

18. chucklebuck says:

My guess is that the flight crew figured that even if the kids were successfully restrained by the parents, the odds of them not getting up again when not allowed were pretty low, and once the plane is in the air the there’s not much to be done about it.

It’s a judgment call for the crew, and the only evidence they had to go on tipped the decision in favor of removal.

19. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

“I just feel like it’s airplane travel today in general.”

So – the fact that your child was throwing so terrible a tantrum that you had to hold them down with all your force is the fault of air travel how?

Kids throw tantrums, but that doesn’t mean the rest of society should have to deal with your child’s outbursts.

20. dolemite says:

I’m going to take the opposite stance on this incident from my usual. That poor family. I hope the snowflake didn’t receive any kind of long term mental harm from the ordeal. Jet Blue should be ashamed of themselves. Sometimes you can’t control your children. You just have to let them scream it out of their system for a few hours and they fall asleep, no matter if you are on a plane, in a restaurant, bus or opera.

21. JKinNYC says:

I’m a parent of 3 kids all under 8, and all of them have been travelling frequently since their birth. Never had a tantrum that sounds as bad as this, and it really sounds like these parents either a) can’t generally control their kids, or b)their kid had an exceptional meltdown. Either way, they should think twice before bringing them on a plane without better preparation.

Air travel, like most things, is something you need to prepare your kids for and it sounds like these parents didn’t do a good job. Also, travelling with kids requires some flexibility, so if your kid is going nuclear, sometimes, you just have to step out.

In defense of some kids on planes, my oldest is the best possible person to have sitting next to you on a plane. He’s skinny, quiet, and will sit cross-legged in his seat for 8 hours reading and watching movies. You won’t even know he’s there. So don’t look at him funny when I sit him next to you.

Here’s an old piece this reminded me of:

22. mramos says:

This kind of reminds me of my last flight on Jet Blue. We were taxiing for like an hour waiting for takeoff and this price 2 rows over wouldn’t shut off his iPhone. Finally were next in line for the runway and they decide to return to the gate. As soon as the guy heard that he decided to put the phone away and pleaded with the crew to just take off. Everyone clapped as the police escorted him back to the terminal.

The moral of the story is if you “had customers that did not comply with crewmember instructions for a prolonged time period” while on the ground they most certainly cannot be trusted to comply with instructions in the air or in the case of an emergency. It appears that they had already caused enough of a situation that the captain felt uncomfortable with them on the plane even though they eventually complied.

• snarkymarcy says:

Nope, in my other comment, you’ll see that it often is a very fast situation with little or no warning. We had been comfortably settled for probably 10 minutes with the flight attendants walking by several times, then it because SERIOUS BUSINESS in a short amount of time. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the case, given my experience with another Boston based JetBlue crew.

23. wildbill says:

“As a result, yeah, I would probably try to avoid JetBlue in the future.”

And Jet Blue goes YAH!

24. hyper6 says:

This is why my last flight was 11 years ago. My older son turns 10 this year, and my younger is 5. They can fly places when they can afford to pay for it by themselves.

25. Free Legal Advice! says:

This is why I will drug my four-year-old when we fly this summer. I can’t trust her not to throw a tantrum even though she is usually well behaved. I also can’t afford to miss the flight. Better living through chemistry.

26. InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

I feel like I’m missing part of the story here. How long did this kid go on for before JetBlue decided that they were better off removing the family? I mean, kids sometimes have tantrums. And a two-year-old can’t really be reasoned with, so it’s not like you could just order her to quiet down. And holding her down is more difficult that you might think, because you don’t want to actually bruise or injure her, but she has no compunction about using all of her strength. So, you need to allow at least a little time for the kid to calm down.

On the other hand, there reaches a point where it becomes unfair to everyone to make the entire plane wait to see *if* you can calm down your child. It sounds like, from JetBlue’s statement, they gave the family a reasonable amount of time to get the kid to chill, and the family couldn’t manage that.

• AtlantaCPA says:

I agree with you – we just don’t know enough details to pass judgement on this situation. People yelling in their comments about how this is obviously a bad parent are making some big assumptions.

I think it’s possible that the kid was going on for some time and truly was uncontrolled, but it’s also possible the flight attendant is one of the people on this website who think no kid should fly period and just turned the plane around at the first opportunity. Or somewhere in the middle, it’s just hard to say based on the story. (and I do think there are times when it would be appropriate to kick people off the plane but I also understand sometimes a 2 year old just needs 90 seconds to get over the tantrum and the rest of the flight might have been smooth sailing)

• BennieHannah says:

Oh there you go being all reasonable and stuff. I prefer comments about how children are vile and should be left at home unless they are comatose and I really love “Well, back in MY day…”

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Oh, sorry, let’s see if I can help you out…

Seeing small children on long-distance transit definitely makes me a rabbit of negative euphoria (or, if you prefer, not a happy bunny). If the little pests misbehave, it’s not like you can dump them out the window. They should be left at home to be raised by rabid weasels, since the parents are obviously not able to do the job. *My* parents didn’t take me out in public until I was old enough to understand proper behaviour, and look how well-adjusted I turned out to be.

(feel free to insert an appropriate level of sarcasm)

Was that more to your taste? ;)

27. gabrewer says:

Oh boy. I know I’m going to get all kinds of virtual sticks and stones throw at me for this, but here goes.

To me, the opening sentences of the story just say it all — a flight back from the Turks and Caicos — with a two-year old. To me this is all too indicative of two types of mentalities I often observe among young parents today.

The first is that having a child is another life achievement that can they check off their list, but it in no way is going to disrupt the lifestye they have come to expect — such as taking vacations to distant tropical destinations. Secondly, there is another pereception among some parents that their little darlings are the center of universe that they are entitled to take anywhere they want — nice restaurants, movies, plays, church services, etc. — any time they want, and the rest of the world just needs to accomodate them.

I guess I’m getting old, but my parents’ generation seemed to have more of a prudent approach about this type of thing. I was old enough that I still remember the first times they took me to a sit-down restaurant, a movie, and an amusement park. And I knew I better behave or else. And hell would have frozen over before my dad would have ever spent all day pushing me or my sisters around some place like Disney world in a stroller, but those a whole other rant I could write pages about.

Signed,
    A cantankerous old fart.

• eturowski says:

+1. And I am neither cantankerous nor an old fart – I am 27.

• snarkymarcy says:

I’m not supposed to take my kids to church?

• gabrewer says:

In mine, as I think in most, there are nursery rooms for toddlers and younger.

• snarkymarcy says:

There are, but you complained that people bring kids to church, omg!

• gabrewer says:

Well I in fact said “church services” — my intent being to mean actual worship services, and perhaps that was not explicit enough to be understood. My issue is those parents who insist upon bring their little one’s into the worship service — often knowing full wel they are going to act up at some point — when, at least in my church, there is a full-service, professionally staffed nursery available. And that’s all the time I’m going to devote this very tedious sign issue.

• axhandler1 says:

Of course you can, parents bring their little children to my church all the time. And, if the kid starts crying, shouting, or otherwise disrupting the service, the parents will be responsible and take the kid out of the building, where their screaming cannot disrupt the service that everyone else came to be a part of. Is that really so hard to do?

28. mingtae says:

There are 3 sides to every story. I would love to hear from other people on this flight who would either say everything was cool or the parents could not control their kid.

29. daynight says:

Families travel together. Children at all ages, including infants, travel. It is absurd to say “you must never fly on an airplane until you are 10 years old” or some such. No one has arbitrary rules like that.
    Whose safety was being threatened? Would a tantrum by a two-year-old bring the plane crashing to the ground? No! Were people being put at risk for having their eyes gouged out? No!
    The kid probably had a bad trip out to the islands and did not want to repeat it. Once airborne and without any other recourse I expect the kid would have been fine.
    Perhaps the kid was being overly disruptive and perhaps it was reasonable to remove them until the child could compose himself until the plane was at least aloft. If the decision to kick them off was to be made, make it honestly. Don’t pretend ‘safety of our only concern!’ That is another politically correct lie. It should not be about CYA. No one should depend on the fact that all real Americans are cowed by the very mention of safety concerns.

• kobresia says:

Failure to follow flight crew instructions is a safety issue. “Take your seats” isn’t a suggestion, it’s part of the takeoff safety protocol, probably because there’s an increased chance of folks getting thrown around the cabin & injured if they’re not seatbelted in.

• snarkymarcy says:

They do need to be buckled in, as they can be a projectile risk if not buckled. However, a few weeks before when she wasn’t two yet, the FAA deems it an acceptable risk. (I’ve never claimed it was acceptable, and I always bought seats for my infants and used their car seats.)

• Blow a fuse? I can fix that... says:

Yes, their safety and the safety of other passengers were threatened. The pilot and crew are responsible for the safety of all passengers, and if a kid isn’t properly seated and strapped in, that poses a lethal danger to not only the kid itself, but other passengers as well.

Think “small meat and bone projectile” in the case the plane needs to make a sudden stop.

So, unless you are able to securely fasten the kids seatbelt AND ensure that they do not wriggle out of it as soon as you let go of them, then they have no other choice but to remove the kid from the plane. Simple as that.

And since returning to gate and deplaning a passenger is both expensive and impact the airlines on-schedule ratings, that is not a decision taken lightly or out of spite. I can assure you that the pilot and crew would much rather avoid that, but what can they do if the parents clearly are unable to comply with the safety protocols? Should anything happen to the kid, or any other passenger, the pilot/crew and the airline are liable, and we’re not just talking civil charges, but criminal as well.

30. alpha says:

My family traveled to far east asia when my two kids are age 1 yr and 3 yrs old. I can say its hard and yes they cried when the plane was landing (owing to pressure decompression). Even after giving the bigger one gums to chew to relieve ear pressure. During the almost 20-hour flight when both will get restless and fussy, I would bring them to the rear of the plane so as not to disturb the rest of the passengers. Its hard work, and I’m quite sure, despite our best efforts, there were people disturbed when I can’t bring the youngest to the rear when the seatbelt light is on. That’s when my wife and I resolve never again to travel in a plane until the kids have at least turn 5, save those serious family emergency that cannot be avoided. We kind of redeemed our selves when there was a passenger in medical distress and they were looking for a doctor on board. I nudged my wife to go help and she stabilized the patient. Surprisingly my kids cooperated and kept silent. Or probably just tired.

31. brinks says:

The only vacations we went on when we were a family of 5 kids under age 12 were camping. No planes, no enclosed spaces, and few people around for us to annoy the sh*t out of.

I know people with kids don’t want to give up their entire life, but kids just don’t travel well. You really need to base your travel plans around what your kids can handle.

Oh, and a high five to Jet Blue.

32. eezy-peezy says:

Ah, the good old days when paregoric was legal and available. Kept them quiet for a while.

33. snarkymarcy says:

All of the airlines, JetBlue included, have had issues with their almighty power in a post 9/11 world.

We have traveled with our kids since they were infants. (Large family funerals, weddings, etc when there is the expectation that the entire family shows up) It is my full time job to stay on top of their behavior. I have way more entertainment and snack options with me than could possibly ever be utilized in flight, but still, I’ve been lucky.

JetBlue almost kicked me off of a plane. We always bought a seat for them. We get more room, plus, we would strap them in with their car seat-it is safer. It also sets the expectation that we HAVE to buckle. However, in this instance, the baby was about 8 months old. We were on the return trip from Boston. (Maybe it is the Boston based crew? It is the only time I ever had and issue with JetBlue.) As she was 8 months old, I put the seat in rear facing, as is the instruction from the manufacturer, the APA (they should be rear facing for AT LEAST a year due to large heads and weak necks. It prevents spinal cord injuries.) We were all buckled in, and everyone was calm and cool. Well fed and happy. Just as they are about to close the door, the flight attendant, who had walked past us with the seat in this configuration at least three times, told me I had to turn it around. That what I was doing was illegal.

I calmly told her that I had the FAA regulations printed (cause I always cover my bases and knew that flight crews are not always up to date) and I had the manual for the car seat. She refused to look at any of it. She just kept telling me that I had to turn it around. The seat had all of the stickers on it for installation guidelines. One side had the rear facing install instructions, and the other had the front facing install instructions. Unfortunately, the side with the front facing was what was turned toward the aisle, so she pointed at that and said, “That seat says forward facing. If you argue any further, you are being taken off of the flight for refusing to comply with a crew member’s instructions,” (and at this point, the gate agents were standing up by the cockpit, walkie talkies in hand, glaring at us.) I had no choice but to reverse it. I was calm the whole time, talking evenly and stating that I knew what the FAA rules were, if she’d just look at them. She ignored me, full stop.

Ultimately, when we arrived home, we filed a complaint with JetBlue. To their credit, when supplied with all information and documentation, they apologized and agreed that the flight crew was in the wrong and that they would be retraining them.

Now that our kids are older, we have a CARES restraint that makes a 5 point harness along with the seatbelt. This would have probably been a good solution for this family. However, as most people aren’t using them, I start off the minute we get on the plane by showing the attendant the device, the manual, and the most recent FAA statement on its use to ensure that we won’t have a problem.

The parents admit that it was a bad situation, and it could have been handled differently. But, honestly Consumerists who fly regularly, who here hasn’t dealt with the flight attendant with a really bad attitude? Also, just the general tone by the time you get through security and all of the waiting in line and everyone’s generally unpleasant attitude, by the time we all settle in to buckle, most of us are not at our best. Having someone standing there telling you “MAKE THEM STOP NOW,” is not likely to help calm down a toddler.

OTOH, the next time a flight is stuck on the tarmac for hours due to the stories we’ve read here (weather diversions and no staff to deplane passengers, etc) an unruly toddler making an “unsafe situation” could be your golden ticket to get off of the plane!

We no longer fly with them. I won’t have them scanned, and I can’t reconcile how I am supposed to tell my six year old that there are places that people aren’t supposed to touch them, but it is okay if the person with a badge and uniform does it. So, now we drive (statistically far less safe than flying,) or we just don’t go.

• AtlantaCPA says:

I appreciate you telling this story. Reading all the people on here who are attacking the mom, they are pretending that it’s impossible that the flight attendant overreacted – as if that’s never happened before in the history of flying. Ultimately I don’t think we have enough info from this story to say who is right (lots of subjective info on both sides), but at least let’s all recognize that there is some possibility that the flight attendant is a kid-hater and/or power-drunk and/or just was having a bad day meanie. Honestly the majority reaction here is shocking me (and I’m not one who smiles at the precocious child who is crying, I don’t like it either but I know you can’t make them stop on a dime).

• snarkymarcy says:

The flight attendant would be the bad guy/gal except there is a child involved, so the smuggery comes out in full force.

NO ONE likes a screaming kid. As someone posted, without eyewitness third parties, it is hard to know where this line was. Were they actively trying? Were they just doing the irritating parent “oh, they’re just being kids!” thing?

34. kataisa says:

Good for JetBlue. We see again that it’s overly permissive parents who refuse to discipline their children that is the root cause of child misbehavior and temper tantrums in public places.

My parents raised five children. None of us dared to act out in public. Children having temper tantrums in public was extremely rare back then but today it’s almost commonplace and considered acceptable behavior because “she’s just a child and doesn’t know any better” ~eye roll~

35. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The harshest critics of parents on Consumerist always seem to be the people without children.

• snarkymarcy says:

Oh yeah, I have a bingo card that is already filled.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I admit that I should not be nearly so harsh…but to me, a lot of these parents really come off poorly because the very vocal ones make it seem as if ALL of them feel entitled to special treatment. And on some level, it’s the fact that I have to field questions almost every month about when I’m going to have kids, and I have run out of ways to say “don’t know, maybe never.” Being around parents just seems to emphasize for certain family members that I lack children, and that there’s has to be something wrong with me.

• orion70 says:

I wasn’t aware that people without children were excluded from being allowed an opinion. As I said upthread, some of the strongest opinions I’ve heard on other issues have come from parents who say the same thing you’ve said. And the issues are rarely anything they’ve personally experienced.

36. tacitus59 says:

I was wondering when the consumerist would pick this up. I did a lot of travelling a few years ago and generally most kids even toddlers were well behaved; there was the occassional piercing cry but for the most part it was fine. But I suspect that in this case the decision to turn around was made and the plane already rerouted on the ground by the time the child(ren) calmed down. Once ground control got involved and the plane got turned back, there was no way they were going to risk a repeat. Instead of going on vacation the parents needed to practice their parenting skills; maybe a $2000 penalty will cause them to improve them. I have seen far too many cases were young children have been trained that obeying ones parents is an option.

37. Judah says:

Good for Jetblue. I’ve been stuck on so many flights with badly raised children been disruptive. Seriously, if you can’t control your children, you shouldn’t travel.

38. Jerem43 says:

Fark got this yesterday and about 80% of the commentators were of the opinion that the child should be removed – She was obviously not under control of the parents and a risk to herself and the other passengers.

39. shibotu says:

to top it off, mother Colette Vieau is a pediatrician

40. RecoveringFarmGirl says:

Jeebus. Even the most lovely two-year-old (is there such a thing?) can have a bad day. There are not nearly enough details here to pass judgement on either side, but the “unruly brat” comments are a bit heavy-handed.

And by the way, Benedryl can have the opposite effect on some children, so that could have backfired mightily, for all those advocating medicating children…

• Sparkstalker says:

Of course you can judge a responsible parent from a 30-second news clip. Everyone knows that toddlers sit on command and that the parents were just trying to annoy everyone else for their own jollies.

My daughter’s two, and for the most part, she’s incredibly well behaved. But there are those occasional times where she’s tired or scared, and she has a meltdown. There’s no stopping it – toddlers are not rational creatures.

• kobresia says:

It’s kind of clear that the kid was being an unruly brat when the plane was preparing to take off. That much isn’t in dispute.

It doesn’t matter if the kid usually isn’t unruly. All that matters is that the kid was being unruly, the parents weren’t able to calm her down, and then the mother started acting like a spoiled brat and whined to the TV station after they got booted from the plane.

I really wouldn’t be too harsh on the kid, she was just doing what kids do. It’s really the mother who’s out-of-line. There’s an appropriate way to work through a kid having a bad day, and telling everyone else to suck it up and then whining publicly is not remotely appropriate.

41. shufflemoomin says:

“…customers that did not comply with crewmember instructions for a prolonged time period. ” I had a feeling that was the real story and not the sob story the parents are giving. Airlines don’t return to the gate for nothing. Why go to the media when you KNOW you were in the wrong? Trying to get something for free?

42. chiieddy says:

I don’t know that I could blame JetBlue, but I total am anyway

43. azgirl says:

Pregnant lady here- I take benadryl to fly. I give benadryl to my dog for long drives, and I certainly would give my kid a safe dose of benadryl to fly…Why chance it? If I get sick, maybe they will too- and if it makes them sleepy and more manageable, all the better.

I was not an ill behaved child, and will not subject others in an enclosed space to my ill behaved child, should I have one. I would be embarrassed. Why set yourself up for failure?

• AtlantaCPA says:

That’s a risky proposition, benedryl can make kids hyper. I don’t think the people on this blog today will have any sympathy for you if you give your kids hyper drugs before getting on the plane (even if you thought it would knock them out).

44. belanos says:

Parents…don’t take toddlers or babies on planes!!! STOP IT!

45. Danielle74 says:

Like so many of these stories, I feel like there are some facts missing.

I do a fair amount of air travel and see a lot of people being generally disrespectful of other passengers and flight attendants. Even if this was an overreaction, I find it hard to blame the airline.

46. Burzmali says:

I feel bad for the parents. I was on a flight where a 4 year old was throwing a pretty insane tantrum. He wouldn’t sit down. He was screaming at the top of his lungs. It lasted for probably 20 minutes. Magically, no one on the plane seemed to be upset about it and we ultimately ended up taking off with the family on board once the kid was strapped in. He kept screaming until the plane accelerated for take-off. After that he was fine. I guess my point is that Frontier was cool about it. So maybe this family should fly Frontier next time.

47. frankrizzo:You're locked up in here with me. says:

Where’s the booming voice of James Earl Jones when you need it?

48. red says:

Please let this become a jet blue policy.

49. pythonspam says:

Can we have adult-only flights yet?
    Also, still waiting for restaurant hosts/hostesses to ask whether I want to sit in Crying/Non-Crying.

50. Nyxalinth says:

One of the many reasons I chose to not have children. World’s overpopulated, anyway.

51. rdclark says:

Airlines should be required to offer a certain percentage of their flights as “child-free.” The problem, of course, is that everyone would take them, leaving other flights half empty except for people traveling with kids. Demonstrating that *nobody* wants to be forced into company with other people’s children.

Got kids? Drive. Leave them with the relatives. Don’t plan trips that require them to fly. Have their pediatricians prescribe sedatives. DO… WHATEVER… IT… TAKES! Their behavior is your responsibility.

52. Bog says:

I kind of think (assume) that the parents likely never controlled their child very much to begin with.

Not all small children are bad. I sat next to a 3 year old boy on a 13 hour flight to Hong Kong and he was quiet and considerate the entire flight, he was flying with a single parent who had also had good verbal control. I don’t know if it was because they were Chinese, if the parent was strict or the kid was simply well behaved; he was however bright and intelligent. They didn’t talk much either, as they didn’t speak English and I don’t speak Chinese. I had the window seat, the boy in the middle and the mother in the isle. It was almost like having an empty seat next to me.

With that said… I have no problem with drugging people on flights. I‚Äôve seen many people, especially children melt down and be horrible, if they were drugged then they and everyone would be happy. And before you say anything‚Ķ I like to make sure I am well medicated on any flight over six hours too.

So, for the $2,000. Consider that the extra cost of raising a child. They are expensive. If they don’t behave and you don’t control your children, then expect to pay, and pay, and pay.

53. hmburgers says:

Apparently that was my mom’s “be silent or I WILL silence you” pose…

Eventually we got it down to a science me just seeing the left eye bulge and I became like one of those fainting goats…

54. I'm new here says:

Oooh-wee! Lots of intolerant people in the world, man. Parents don’t “control” their kids. Children have their own ideas and a 2 year old is incapable of controling his/her impulses for very long. I’ve travelled with my daughter from ORD to PHL since she was 2 months old (not a long flight, true). So far, she’s been a dream. I schedule our flights around her nap time but she’s 2 1/2 now and is quite the loud-mouth, so who knows if she’ll cooperate next time.

But should I not take her to see my family once a year because she may have a 10 minute freak-out? There are worse things to tolerate, IMHO. Like not being able to afford a flight.

A little goodwill now and then goes a long way b/c every single one of us will be “that guy” one day: the guy who drinks too much, they guy who is too loud on the phone, the guy who takes up too much room, etc.

• orion70 says:

People could stand to be a bit more tolerant, yes, but in equal measure, people could also stand to be a bit more humble about their disruptive behaviors. An apology to nearby passengers often goes a long way towards deflating these situations.

I was in a similar situation on a flight last year, two kids seated behind me, one kicked my seat for a long time, and his sibling refused to stay buckled in and screamed bloody murder during our descent. The parents laughed it off upon landing and never so much as said sorry for the noise to their seatmates.

55. Geekybiker says:

So the news story says the kid wouldn’t sit down, and (by law) couldn’t be held for take off. Sounds like a pretty normal “we aren’t allowed by law to take off like this” sort of thing. The decision probably had already been made by the time the kid calmed down. This exact thing happened a year or two ago. Kid didn’t want to wear the seat belt and got the family booted.

While I feel for the family, if you’re having that much trouble controlling your child, perhaps its not the right time to fly? This is a legal issue for the airline and not just them being a bully on a judgement call.

56. JonBoy470 says:

To these parents: It’s called Dramamine. They call it a motion sickness pill, but it also puts you to sleep, for the win! I have an 8 year old, a 5 year old, and a 2 year old, I’ve flown on an airplane with them, and think it’s insane to fly with a kid that age without drugging her up first…

As for all those who get worked up over screaming kids on a flight: You’re doing it wrong! They’re called Bose QuietComfort headphones. You’re not a true frequent flier without a pair! Besides, it’s not like the airliner is quiet even when there’s not screaming kids on-board.

As for “safety” as much as I am amused by the security theater in the terminal, I am also amused by the safety theater in the aircraft. If the airplane crashes at 500 mph, I’m frakked. My seatbelt won’t save me, or anyone else. If the plane goes down in the water, and “Sully” Sullenberger isn’t at the controls, I’m frakked.

57. comedian says:

Not the first time he talked about it, but here’s an early Letterman “Screaming Baby Express”, on an airline whose initials happen to be TWA.

58. dandadan says:

Finally someone kicked a screaming kid off a plane! I plan to book on Jetblue. Why should 150 people be disturbed on a flight because people fly with children too small to behave or unable to? Fly with the brats late at night to keep them quiet. I can’t tell you how many flights I have had to put up with screaming little urchins that parents won’t quiet down.

• snarkymarcy says:

That assumes that they will sleep on the plane. Then, you’ll be squealing “who brings a baby on a plane at niiiiight?”

59. orion70 says:

I’m sure this situation sucks for everyone involved but if the result was the captain turning around an entire flight full of people, this was more than just having a little trouble controlling a child. And if a child is not only refusing to be seated, but also making enough noise that people can’t hear the safety announcements, it sucks, but this is justified.

As an aside, this woman’s credentials don’t really have much to do with this. I don’t know her or her parenting style, but poor parenting is not the exclusive territory of the “untrained”. And I have known a couple of child psychologists whose children are completely messed up, so that child-oriented degree holds no guarantees.

60. RocheCoach says:

This kind of thing is one of the reasons I fly almost exclusively JetBlue.

61. mcgurt says:

So what if kids cry on a flight? For heaven’s sake, have a little empathy for the families who are in fact more miserable than you are with their crying infants, as they have to deal with not just all the noise but all the judgy entitled people around them. Wear headphones. Wear earplugs. I swear, you will be okay, even if you are inconvenienced, you will survive. Sounds like YOU are the special snowflakes in this situation.

I don’t have kids, but if I had the option I would happily sit next to the families traveling with infants just to be a friendly face to them amidst a plane full of grouches. Life is inconvenient. It’s much easier to be nice and empathetic than to waste your whole plane trip stewing and angry about babies being babies. It’s like being angry at water for being wet. What a waste of emotional energy.

I promise you, feeling a little empathy and a little kindness greatly cuts down on the inconvenience in that situation because you can still smile and you have the satisfaction of knowing that you were a kind face in a miserable situation.

To any parents traveling with children, please know that there are some childless people on the flight who feel only empathy for you and who would happily sit next to you if that were an option to help buffer you from glaring grumpy people who would rather complain and suffer then put on some headphones. If there was a checkbox when you bought your flight asking if you’d be willing to sit in a row with an infant, I’d check it, it’s no skin off my nose.

• Minnie says:

“If there was a checkbox when you bought your flight asking if you’d be willing to sit in a row with an infant, I’d check it, it’s no skin off my nose.”

Excellent idea! Then I would be able to avoid the parents who expect me to help them with their kids who are trying to crawl all over me. And, yes, that happened the last time I flew because the mother couldn’t keep her toddler on her lap.

62. bwcbwc says:

Good on the pilot getting the kid off the flight. But JetBlue should have waived re-booking fees.

63. Minnie says:

Did anyone see this family on the “Today” show on Monday? The whole family was there. The two year old was out of control again, shouting, squirming, jumping around and wouldn’t stay on her father’s lap when he tried to pin her down. During the whole time, the mother had the quieter younger kid on her lap while she was being interviewed saying how wrong the airline was.

The dad never once reprimanded the two year old for not behaving. All he did was silently try to make her sit still. She knew who had the upper hand and it wasn’t him.

If you are going to bring your kid on TV to talk about your kid’s good behavior, don’t bring the kid.

64. XStylus says:

JetBlue will be the ONLY jet I fly on now. Epic kudos.