Double Cheeseburgerless Dollar Menu Spotted At McDonald's

You know it was coming and now it’s happened to reader Joe. Joe says that his local McDonald’s has cruelly taken away both the Double Cheeseburger and the McChicken sandwiches from the cheap-as-hell glory that is the Dollar Menu.

Here’s Joe’s reaction:

I’m a resident of Chicago’s northwest suburbs and have now ran into atleast 2 McDonald’s where the dollar menu no longer includes the Double Cheeseburger or McChicken Sandwich. Both of the items are now priced at $1.19. I was curious if anyone else has had this occur near them.

Personally, I’m mildly glad of it. My lack of self control in eating fast food was strictly for those two items. Now that they’ve raised the price, no way am I going to mentally justify eating that food.

(Photo: Ben Popken )

Comments

1. I like my Spicy Chicken from BK personally.

2. randomangela47 says:

Meh, considering that I’ve eaten maybe 4 double cheeseburgers in the past year, that 20 cent difference isn’t even adding up to $1 per year.

Somehow, I’m not all that optimistic that this development will drive most regular McD’s customers to turn to healthy foods prepared at home…

3. Starfury says:

Our local (one of many) McDonald’s removed the small fries from the dollar menu; I think that the Double Cheeseburger/McChicken (is it really chicken?) will be next.

I’d rather have Jack in the Box. The one’s local to home/work are clean and the food is fresh.

• sodden says:

@Starfury: When you consider that the dollar menu fries used to be the medium fries, the fact that even the small fries are off the menu is just sad.

The small fry bag isn’t even half full!

I wonder if anyone has done a study of the amazing fry shrink ray.

4. CountryJustice says:

I think I eat at McDonald’s maybe once every month or two, so the price increase isn’t going to break my bank or anything. Even still, it sucks that you can’t rely on the old standbys.

5. Anonymous says:

the McDonald’s in Fashion Island in Newport Beach, CA no longer has those 2 items on the dollar menu as well. I think their dollar menu has like 3 times: cookies, salad, 2 apple pies.

6. Scuba Steve says:

I’d rather have Wendy’s. The extra patty hardly makes up for my lust of bacon and lettuce on a sandwich. It’s understandable that they’re changing this though, I did enjoy a dollar double cheese when I was a college student.

• DashTheHand says:

@Scuba Steve: The nearly nutrientless and often nasty tasting iceburg lettuce that Wendy’s slaps on all their generic burger meny is something you savor?

• sodden says:

@Scuba Steve: I’m so disappointed in the Wendy’s hamburger. It used to be 1 quarter lb slab of meat. Now it’s 2 paper thin bits of meat, combined together in the bun, making it dry. Is it even 1/4 lb of meat pre-cooked now?

What’s even better is that they oversalt both sheets of meat. At least when they did that on the single slab, it wasn’t nearly as much salt.

The fries from Wendy’s at least used to be really good, but lately they’ve been old and chewy.

7. ep5760 says:

It’s been $1.19 down here in Atlanta despite the ads on tv about them in the dollar menu. Felt pretty shady but not like any of the minimum wage employees around here would’ve understood.

8. VachelEnyo says:

I’m just north of Seattle (Mill Creek), and the Double Cheeseburgers and McChicken sandwiches here are $1.29. I wasn’t really paying attention to whenever the price hiked. Oh well.
    The Apple Dippers aren’t on the dollar menu here, either.

9. pgh9fan says:

I was at the McDonald’s in Downtown Disney when the lady behind me in line asked if they had the dollar menu. My wife and I just started laughing out loud. We’re talking Disney here. The prices were three to four dollars more for a combo meal than at any other McD’s.

10. xorez says:

I noticed at my local Wendy’s now they took away the Stack Attack Double Cheeseburger and replaced it with some “Double Stack” cheeseburger and it only has 1 slice of cheese instead of two and it’s soo small it’s almost worthless you can hardly taste it. Also they took the 5 piece nuggets off the 99 cent menu and they now cost 1.19

11. snoop-blog says:

@Git Em SteveDave loves this guy–>: Thirded. Can’t beat the spicy chicken, but however my local Wendy’s is selling jr bacon’s for $.99. I wonder if the sale has anything to do with McDonalds removing items off their dollar menu.

12. morganlh85 says:

The 4 piece chicken nuggets are gone from the dollar menu where I live also.

13. Coder4Life says:

oh stop your yacking.. $1 for a double cheeseburger is an insane deal.. I dont even know how they could keep doing it…

People these days just don’t want to pay for anything…

Start eating healthy anyways, grab yourself some fruits and vegetables…

• ludwigk says:

@Coder4Life: here in SF, the double cheeseburger has never been on the dollar menu. I think it’s like $1.79. Whenever I get a craving for bee patties with gobs of melted American “cheese”, I drag my butt to in n out instead. So much better, and doesn’t make me want to wretch afterwards.

• Etoiles says:

@Coder4Life: Can’t fill up on fruits and veg for $1 in a lot of places. I’ve had a McD’s hamburger more than once for “cheap, available protein that will keep me full for a few hours.”

14. EdwinAnt says:

Going to the U of Minnesota, the McDonald’s on campus would “change” their dollar menu to $1.25 after 10pm. We confronted the manager about it once and he said that the menu prices are only “suggested” by McDonald’s and that each store can price them as they see fit.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@EdwinAnt: wow! changing it in the course of each day and back the next morning sure seems shady though. makes me wonder whether other eating establishments nearby close around ten and they figure they have the only game in town?

• aqtrans says:

@EdwinAnt: Well that’s obvious. They don’t want a bunch of high college students coming in and ordering 5 double cheeseburgers. That .25 really adds up at times like that.

15. Adisharr says:

If your food choice is hanging on a $ 0.19 cost difference, you’ve got serious issues. Seriously, who the hell cares about $ 0.19?

• zigziggityzoo says:

@Adisharr: It adds up.

• LordSkippy says:

@Adisharr: Someone with only $1.18 on them.

• HFC says:

@Adisharr: You’re right, if your gas choice is hanging on a $ 0.19 cost difference, you’ve got serious issues. Seriously, who the hell cares about $ 0.19?

@corbyz: Oh yeah, it adds up. Of course if THAT adds up, then you are using WAY too much gas.

$.19 is $.19, it doesn’t matter what it’s purchasing. The point is, McDonald’s has had this item on the $1 menu (most places) for a long time. Even as it disappears from the $1 menu, they are still advertising it as being there. I saw a commercial for it during Heroes. Sounds like a bait-and-switch scheme to me. I don’t think people are so upset about $.19 as they are about the principle of the increase.

16. bradym80 says:

The picture used in this story is of the McDonalds at the International Arrivals at O’Hare Airport. The prices at McDonalds at Woodfield Mall, Navy Pier and Ohare Airport are always much higher than the other chains.

One thing I noticed this weekend is that McDonalds quietly changed the name of their Dollar menu to the “McValue Menu”.

• Sndtrkman says:

@bradym80: Navy Pier is just ridiculous with their prices. I remember eating at that McD’s last year with my girlfriend and for 2 people, it cost around $20. Now with the new Cook County tax rate as well it’s probably close to $30 now.

Thank goodness I stopped eating at fast food chains like this.

17. Ths s vry slw nws dy fr Cnsmrst.

18. glennski says:

The Mcdonalds I used to go to was pretty shady, they would make sure the single cheeseburger was in plain sight on the menu, but the 99 cent double cheeseburger was located above the menu board itself, making it very easy to miss it with a quick scan of the menu. They got me once those punks!.

19. ThickSkinned says:

The McDonalds at the O’hare oasis hasn’t had the $1 double cheese for awhile. I’ve seen differences between McD’s value menu from location to location. I figured it was up to the franchise owners what is or is not on the menu.

20. Juncti says:

So what’s left on the $1 menu other than a sweet tea?

Pretty soon the space that is the $1 menu is just going to read.

$1 will get you 70% of the way to the following items.

• MissTicklebritches says:

@Juncti: I can just imagine them keeping a full $1 menu, but having an employee run and snatch 70% eaten foods from customers’ hands.

• SabreDC says:

@Juncti: $1 will still get you two apple pies at most McD locations. While they aren’t too good for you, it’s not a bad deal considering that one is $0.95.

Through the DC area, I’ve noticed that the dollar menu has not changed at all yet. We still have McChickens and double cheeseburgers and everything. Why don’t they just get over it already and rename it the value menu? Put crap on there that is $1.25, I don’t think people really care that much.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

@SabreDC: i am waiting for the follow up article: “mcdonald’s shrink ray – apple pies become apple nuggets – 2 for $1′

• Juncti says:

@SabreDC: Actually I think people still do care. The menu here in New Orleans still has all the items on there.

And just recently, like a few weeks ago, Wendy’s brought back the $.99 Doublestack. They used to have that, then raised it to $1.50, then gone. Now it’s back at .99

Guess they know the economy is tight and they want to keep us fat.

• AllenK says:

@Juncti:

I don’t care much for McD’s at all,but the $1 sweet tea is awesome! That’s quite a value,and it’s good tea also.
      It’s not the best thing to drink when traveling though. That’s a big old drink.

21. buckfutt says:

The $1 menu in the ATL suburbs has had a Double Hamburger instead of Cheeseburger for the last couple of weeks.

22. Saboth says:

So the guy from the commercial walks in with his little hula dancer from the travel agency, the dot of spray-on tan on his face, and asks what he gets for a dollar, and the clerk says “well not the double cheeseburger, if that is what you were thinking”.

23. RichardSS says:

I’d count myself lucky to pay $1.19. I live in the San Joaquin Valley in California and in Kings and Tulare county the same company owns all the McDonalds. The $1 Double Cheeseburger or McChicken has been gone for years. If you want a Double cheeseburger or McChicken be prepared to pay a whooping $1.49! And don’t even think about the 2 for $3 Big Macs.

24. AriellaFaerie says:

I live in DC, and the McDonalds by my building still has the menu, for how much longer, I do not know. But the dollar menu items are really popular here. Also, the McDonalds i am referring to has lots of homeless folks hanging around it and can be sketchy at times. I wonder if they are going to freak over a price increase.

25. SwapnaliMerope says:

The fact that people still spend their money at places like McDonalds, Walmart, and AppleBee’s only shows me that people deserve the poor customer service they receive. Why go to a place like this if you expect the best? I’ve never understood this and probably never will.

26. Darklighter says:

0 * $1.00 = 0 * $1.19, so I guess my answer is yes.

27. I’ve not been back since they did away with the Cajun McChicken.

28. corbyz says:

I voted yes, I will eat the same amount of double cheeseburgers at the new price as the old price. Of course that amount is exactly ZERO, but whatever.

I don’t understand how anyone can eat this crap… whether we’re talking McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, or whatever.

Pretty much the only genuine fast food I will eat is a veggie works burrito from Del Taco. The next closest thing to fast food I eat is stuff like Chipotle or Pei Wei.

• ludwigk says:

@corbyz: Del Taco is good. I am a sucker for terrible Mexican food, so I get occassional taco bell cravings. I always felt terrble after eating there.

But now that I found a del taco net by, I can grab some macho tacos and a churro and feel dandy post consumption. I found that after some age, maybe 26 or so, my body established this dining barometer which divides foods into two categories: foods that make me feel like death after eating them, and everything else, which is fair game to eat .

• corbyz says:

@ludwigk: One good thing also about Del Taco is that, unlike Taco Bell, their sour cream does not contain gelatin.

If I order the 7 layer burrito from Del Taco, I need to ask them for no sour cream.

Del Taco, aside from the veggie works burrito, also has nice bean tacos, and the spicy jack quesadilla isn’t bad either with lots of el scorcho sauce.

29. The Great Aussie Evil says:

Bad job market means I can’t eat out, period.

30. valtr0n says:

The Double Cheeseburger disappeared from the dollar menu here (in Eastern Kentucky) around the time that the “Any Size Drink for $1″ deal started. Recently, when the “Any Size Drink for $1″ deal ended, the Double Cheeseburger reappeared on the dollar menu. We asked the cashier, and her reply was that they could only do one or the other, not both. If they wanted the Double Cheeseburger on the dollar menu, they could no longer do Any Size Drink for $1.

Just what my local McDonalds says. Take it with a grain of salt.

31. JPinCLE says:

Still the best deal in fast food. Not sure why I like the way they taste, but I do. Mmmm….

• corbyz says:

@JPinCLE: You like the way they taste because they spent millions of dollars to chemically engineer them to be appealing to the most people. Then they do market research focus groups to find out which chemical additives make people want to buy them the most. Did you never see Fast Food Nation and the scene where Greg Kinnear’s character is in the lab sniffing/tasting different chemical flavorings?

32. Mr.SithNinja says:

There are some McDs around here (Northern Caliifornia) that have them at as much as $1.50. There are also some that still have the Sweet Tea at .99 while others have it at more than $2.00. Prices and participation may vary indeed…..

33. csdiego says:

Personally I’d be more inclined to eat a cheeseburger if it costs more than a dollar. I’m scared to eat a cheeseburger that’s that cheap.

Not that I foresee ramping up my McDonald’s consumption anytime soon. I only eat McDonald’s when I’m on the road, and then 80% of the time only if it’s breakfast.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

@csdiego: Gosh, cheap cheeseburgers are amazing. This summer all the local McDonalds were offering cheeseburgers for .59 each.

They’ve brought much belly-filling happiness to me, and putting-the-kids-through-college for my cardiologist.

34. chrisexv6 says:

I prefer Wendys, but even recently they’ve been increasing their value meal prices. 5 piece nugget now 1.19 instead of 99. The fries were over 99 cents a while ago.

Also disappointing is that I can no longer get a really cheap dinner at Taco Bell. Their value menu now has mostly stuff I dont like, before I could had a lot more choices that were their normal products, now its stuff specially made to be cheap.

Oh well. Eating at home is cheaper anyway.

35. Ajh says:

I will be eating just as many as I have before.

None.

36. pixiegirl1 says:

I really don’t think this will affect much business to be honest it’s still a lot cheaper than other fast food out there. I probably eat there maybe 3-4 times a year and every time I do I’m really disapointed by how bad the food tastes. I used to love Mc D’s when I was in highschool I used to eat it all the time. But now the fries taste awful which sucks because I LOVE fries! I usually get a cheese burger and then the $1 menu salad and take all the lettuce and cut up the tomato and put it on my burger so it can have a somewhat of a fresh taste to it.

37. BumpinUgglas says:

Mitch Hedberg said it best -

“I want to open my own McDonald’s and not participate in anything. I want to be a stubborn McDonald’s owner. ‘Cheeseburgers? Nope! We got spaghetti! And blankets! But we are not affiliated with that clown. He attracts too many children.”

38. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

Just make the Double Hamburger a dollar & charge more for cheese.
    How complicated is that.
    The same for the Quarter-Pounder.
    I never order that as I won’t pay for cheese I don’t want or eat.

39. SukanyaKollina says:

Actual adults eat at McDonalds?

40. Burgandy says:

Before the price change = 0/year
    After the price change = 0/year

Yup, the price doesn’t matter to me on this one.

41. VanceCodrus says:

“What do you think? Will an extra few cents make a difference in your consumption of fast food?”

To quote another: “Short answer: No. Long answer “Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.”

42. SudhamayiKabong says:

Ever since I got a batch of fries from BK that were so greasy they left a greasy film in my mouth, I’ve been no fan of the King. That wasn’t actually the deal-breaker, believe it or not. No, the deal-breaker was the piss-poor service. I’m not going to get into it, but yeah, the grease was just the icing on the cake, so to speak.

43. SuperiorInky says:

$0.19 isn’t enough of a difference to me, since I eat at McDonald’s maybe once every two months.

In Missouri, McDonald’s still has the $1 Double Cheeseburger at some of it’s locations. Oddly enough, some of these locations didn’t even have it back when the event started.

44. snoop-blog says:

@SudhamayiKabong: Ah, after a while, you actually start to crave the film…

45. DashTheHand says:

The problem with fast food is that you have to mix n match (for the big names at least).

McDonalds: Fries / Fish Samich
    Burger King or Carl’s Jr/Hardee’s: Burgers
    Wendy’s: Frosty

But there are better places to go if they are available in your area, though for a more expensive price. My recent favorite is Five Guys Burgers n Fries.

46. TheFuzz53 says:

Will they still be showing those stupid commercials of that idiot walking around trying to see what he can get for a dollar that they play about 15 times during a football game?

47. Jamezspot says:

We actually had the Big ‘N Nasty on our dollar menu for the longest time. Earlier this month we were granted the Double Cheeseburger.

48. sleepydumbdude says:

My local wendys has jr bacon burgers for 1.29 but all the commercials say 99 cents. All of them at 1.29 around here.

49. Branan says:

I’ve seen differences in dollar menus between McDonalds before. I’ve made the trip from Portland, OR to eastern WA a few times, and the McDonalds along the highway have a much more limited dollar menu. Part of that is supply and demand, but part of it is that it costs more to get food to the middle of nowhere, even right along a highway.

At the airport, though? That’s just plain gouging. Or supply/demand. But I’d be willing to bet they could come up with more burgers.

50. Shinzou says:

A few weeks ago I went to get two double cheeseburgers at a McDonald’s I usually don’t go to. I thought the total was high but that it was because we ordered other things. When I looked at the receipt, the double cheeseburger was $2.19 for each. I’m in Missouri and it never made sense as every other McDonald’s in the area sells them for a dollar.

51. Ben_Q2 says:

I really no longer eat out. Not that I do not like it. It cost way to much. I mean really I can make a Pizza for less then $1, I can make a hotdog for less then .25, the list goes on. As for a what was taking off. If I want it, and I feel it worth the money at the time. I will buy it.

52. Sytrus says:

That’s still cheap. They are $1.50 here in Bozeman, MT.

It’s straight B.S.

53. Megladon says:

Whats sad is they’re still running that ad for “what can i got for this?” And at the end the guy runs off some script about a double cheese burger.

54. TuxRug says:

The Double Cheeseburger was taken off the dollar menu in my town a couple months ago.

55. Anjow says:

Changing from $1 to $1.19?

It’s been £1.19 for years in the UK.

56. Dilbitz says:

I live on the IL/WI border, and we too have to suffer with $1.19 double cheeseburgers. They replaced it with double hamburgers. The patties are SO thin! So they take off the best thing -cheese- and replace it w/ a regular hamburger w/ paper thin patties…this is so wrong. I wanted a double cheeseburger and got crap. It didn’t even make me feel better after eating it. I felt dirty and bad.

McChicken so far is $1..but we’ll see just how long that lasts…bastards.

57. MalcolmHaele says:

Here in doodah (ie. Wichita, KS) the double cheeseburger has been off the dollar menu for years. The regular cheeseburger is $1.29 and the double is $2-something. Even in L.A. when I was out there in May the double was on the dollar menu and in Dallas where I lived a couple years ago. Typical Kansas. Although I always found it odd that a cheeseburger was $0.99 and the double was $1…. why anyone other than a kid got a regular cheeseburger at that price was beyond me.

58. BeeBoo says:

Never had the $1 double cheeseburger here, just the regular cheeseburger. You can still get a small fry, small drink, or 2 apple pies for $1.00.

59. AbbottScrofa says:

I was once at a highway rest area, and they didn’t have a dollar menu. A man with a thick southern accent ordered several cheeseburgers and small fries and the total came to $20 instead of the $6 or $7 it would have cost if they had a dollar menu. He made a huge stink and demanded to talk to the manager. The manager did a great job explaining that participation in the dollar menu varies by location. He also added that there is a McDonalds about 5 miles down the road off the next exit with a dollar menu. At the rest area you are paying for easy on easy off access, which also explains why their prices are usually higher than the ones further from the highway. In the end the man didn’t purchase his food, but I don’t know if he wound up driving the 10 mile 20 – 30 minute round trip to save 13 bucks.

60. ironchef says:

it will be just like the airports. Dollar menu gone. gone. gone.

61. WolfDemon says:

Double cheeseburgers here have always been either 1.25 or 1.50

62. ojzitro says:

My wife just cheered the cheer of the victorious. She been on my case about kicking my dollar menu freebasing for the last year. A nineteen percent price increase is enough to do it(I only ate double cheese’s and McChicken.)

Jesus I’m cheap. Live long and frugal.

63. TVGenius says:

I don’t know if ours has gone up yet, but I know for a while the ones here in Yuma, AZ have been charging a fee if you ask for any additional condiments beyond what they give you. Big signs everywhere warning you too.

64. SmilingB says:

They must be running some test market studies to see what they can get away with to alter their menu. They want to see if it annoys their core market. I bet if people avoid the stores with the new menu and the traffic drops, they will not drop the double cheesburger from the dollar menu at other stores. Only a thought.

65. komodork says:

I will still eat it because of the value. The McD’s here in Canada have the $1.39 menu. When comparing it to a normal say Big Mac sandwich priced at around $4.19 I think, the only difference here is another bun, some Big Mac sauce and lettuce. You are paying about $3 extra just for another half of a bun, lettuce and sauce! The patties are the same in both the double cheese burgers and the big macs.

66. usa_gatekeeper says:

If everyone rationalizes that the price move from $1 to ~$1.20 is trivial (a 20% price increase!) and goes along with it, then that’ll be the beginning of the end for $1 fast food chain menus.

We notice the $1 Jr Whopper/no cheese at BK is a great burger and is still $1, at least around here.

Sure, they all want to discreetly get away from the $1 menus, but I say shop from the $1 menu where it’s still available. Keep the $1 option on the menu!!

67. GiovannaRodeo says:

Here in Brooklyn the dollar menu is basically non-existent. Last summer the one nearest me still had the McChicken and Double Cheeseburger for .99 but now there is basically nothing on the dollar menu’s save a mini parfait and apple pie, which both suck

68. weakdome says:

Wendys, here in MA, just released a double-cheeseburger-supreme (or something like that) for $1. Comes to, I think, $1.09 or $1.13 after tax.
    Wendys has better burgers anyway, IMO. Plus, they don’t look like they’ve been dropped and stepped on.

69. The double cheeseburger has been at 1.39 here in Canada for quite some time now, so feel lu…no, feel sorry for us. :(

70. These have been $1.69 around me for over a year! Something smells fishy when I’m paying that much and others are just seeing $1.19. It’s not like I’m in Manhattan or anything =(

71. HaukCachai says:

I am a manager at a McDonald’s near Cincinnati. I will explain 100% the reason behind this going chainwide. While the double cheeseburger was a relatively efficient way to make some money in between orders of big macs and happy meals, it is killllllling the business now that every order is nothing but doubles and other $1 menu items. The profit margins aren’t high enough, people order more items, which require more labor to make, but are basically useless (3 double cheeseburgers cost less than a big mac).

and i have seen like $2.50 doubles in st. louis on tour in my old band. everything varies (in new mexico they have green chili double cheeseburgers!)

the reason for not allowing the dollar menu in late shifts is because if you are some drunk asshat coming through and ordering 15 doubles at 2am, when 2-3 people are working in the whole store, it backs the drivethru out to the street.

/insight
    //anon because, while my job sucks, i still need it

72. huginn says:

it’s kinda laughible. You can still get the 4 piece chicken nuggets for a buck at my mcd’s. by the 10 piece one cost you 4 bucks.

As for the double cheese.. It’s kind of a loss. It means my former tradition of 4.20 on 4.20 4 doublecheese burgers is alas… dead

73. DinahPeafowl says:

I attend Purdue University, I can verify that all the McDonalds around campus have pulled the doublecheeseburger from the dollar menu. I went to one two days ago to grab something quick before an exam, and was disappointed that it was gone. I assumed that they had pulled the item off the menu all together, apparently I wasn’t looking hard enough.

74. Charmander says:

I haven’t been in a McDonald’s for over 25 years. Seriously.

But, compared to the $7 burger I had last night at a restaurant, $1.19 seems like a pretty good deal to me….

75. WaggonerOrthrus says:

I worked at a McDonalds while I was in high school. The double Cheeseburgers where sold at a loss then, even 3 years ago. About $0.17 loss per burger. The main reason they kept it up for so long was that when someone got it, they’d usually get a drink and maybe fries. Fries and fountain drinks at a McDonalds are a cash cow. (heh, cow. beef. made myself smile). Whereas they lost money on the sandwich, it was a draw to get people in the place to buy other things that where highly profitable. And it worked at the time. Right now, with things as shot as they are, they’re just trying to make the same kind of profit they where before.

76. HaukCachai says:

They didn’t lose on it. The double cheese, from bun, to meat, to cheese, condiments, et al. costs about 60 cents to make. Labor adds 10-15 cents depending on how brain-dead the crew people involved are. There is a profit, but the margin isn’t as high.

This is why McD is going to the coffee thing and other high-end strategies like angus burgers and bottled drinks. Same or less labor, but higher prices.

$$$

77. mobilene says:

When I saw that headline, for a second there I thought I was reading The Onion.

78. SiddhimaBia says:

This isn’t a decision that McD corporate made to raise the price. It’s the discretion of the individual franchise owner to raise the price for various reasons. The local McD’s where I live in the rural SE are still offering the .99 option, however, in the nearest major city, I’ve seen the menu change to $1.19.

Fact is, they can do what they want and you can either buy it or not. If they all of the sudden see their sales drop, you’ll see them bring back the old prices. However, you also have a choice to simply buy some ground beef, make it into patties and cook them. you can then do what McD’s does anyway which is to freeze them and reheat them, slap a cheap piece of cheese along with mustard, ketchup and pickles on a bun and you’re good to go for about $.40 per sammich.

79. jodark says:

Game Over. The terrorists have won.

80. FilmmakingFiasco says:

I live in the North Chicago ‘burbs as well. This seems to be a local test to see what the response is. They’ve taken new stickers and slapped them over the $1.00 Double Cheese burger signs that are by the entrance.

If you order a double hamburger, with cheese, it is on the $1 menu. It comes in a silver foil wrapper. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the $.19 difference is between the two.

81. UbadahPolyxena says:

I sent the editors this same tip a couple weeks ago – it happened in the McDonalds at 30th Street Station, Philadelphia. This is a HUGE transit hub, one of the biggest in the Northeast, and they’ve had both the McChicken and Double Cheeseburger on their dollar menu for quite some time. When I visited a couple weeks ago they had raised the price to about $1.34 each.

82. SaramaCheeky says:

It’s so sad that in this horrible economy, with people losing jobs left and right, that you’re comfortable looking down your nose at “minimum wage” employees and put “understanding” past their abilities. I’m lucky to be in an industry that’s still doing well, but many former high earners are willing to take any position to be able to continue to pay bills. 3,000 lost jobs just yesterday here in GA when a dealership closed. I hope your position is safe – if not you might be a minimum wage earner yourself.

83. xipander says:

One by my house in Jacksonville, FL. Still had them on there as of 7:15pm on 9/23.

84. JoelAphareus says:

I live outside the Atlanta area, and just last night I stopped at McSucks for a quick bite before going grocery shopping (never do on an empty stomach!). They no longer had either, just a “double burger” and some other items I barely glanced at. The caveat to this was then I talked myself into buying over price value meals because I was starving. Maybe they have research that shows suckers like me are worth the price hike…

85. kthxbai says:

In NYC the double cheese burger is like 3 dollars

86. stanner says:

Just heard a McDs ad on the radio specifically pointing out the double cheeseburger on the dollar menu – at least here in Alabama where cows are cheaper.

• BlazerUnit says:

@stanner: I know our local Burger King in Monroeville is now offering a $1 double cheeser…the McDonald’s version has been $1.29 for some time now.

I defect!

87. juiceboxonfire says:

The McDonalds I went to the other week didn’t have double cheeseburgers or the McChicken on the Dollar Menu but I asked and they were still $1. Sneaky little move.

88. Demonbird says:

Well, at least Taco bell still has an awesome sub dollar menu.

89. BlazerUnit says:

Maybe now the regular cheesburger will get some love. Two regulars aren’t much more damaging together than ONE double burger, while being more filling. And if many folks are like me, you’re not just going to settle for one double cheeser at the [dying] $1 price point.

Thing is, for the longest time a double cheeseburger was $1, and a regular cheesburger could be $1.09 or higher. I fully expect the regular hamburger and regular cheeseburger to represent future Dollar Menunaires.

90. MichelleOyster says:

Here in Northern NJ they have been $1.59 at our 2 local McD’s for at least the past 6 months. In fact, neither place will let you order a Double Cheeseburger meal (used to be a number 9, I think). While I understand the profit margin argument, it doens’t seem right that they would do this now, especially now when people rely on cheap food to stretch their budgets.