It's Tax Day! Here Are Some Post Offices That Are Open Late…

Today is the day, folks. You’ll need to finish up your taxes and send them on their way to the IRS.

Here are some post offices that are open late in various metropolitan areas.

New York City: James Farley Post Office 421 Eighth Avenue and 31st Street Open 24 hours.

Chicago: Cardiss Collins Postal Store 433 W Harrison ST FL Lbby Open 24 hours.
Los Angeles: Airport Station, 9029 Airport Blvd.;
Los Angeles Processing & Distribution Center, 7101 S. Central Ave.;
Long Beach Processing & Distribution Center, 2300 Redondo Ave.;
City of Industry Processing & Distribution Center, 15421 Gale Ave.;
Pasadena Main Post Office, 600 Lincoln Ave.;
Van Nuys Main Post Office, 15701 Sherman Way;
Santa Ana Processing & Distribution Center, 3101 W. Sunflower Ave; and
Santa Ana Main Post Office, 2201 N. Grand Ave (all open until Midnight)

San Francisco: Main Branch 1300 Evans St (Open Until Midnight)
Airport Branch (660 W. Field Road) (Open Until Midnight)

Dallas: Dallas Main Post Office, 401 DFW Turnpike – (Open Until Midnight)

Atlanta: Atlanta Main Post Office 3900 Crown Road SW (Open Until Midnight)
Boggs Road Postal Store 1605 Boggs Road (Open Until Midnight)
Athens Main Post Office 575 Olympic Drive (Open Until Midnight)
Decatur Main Post Office 502 W. Ponce de Leon Avenue (Open Until Midnight)
Sandy Springs Postal Store 227 Sandy Springs Place NE (Open Until Midnight)
Marietta Main Post Office 257 Lawrence Street (Open Until Midnight)

Cincinnati: 1591 Dalton Ave (Open Until Midnight)

Orlando: Orlando Post Office 10401 Post Office Blvd. (Open Until Midnight)

Richmond: 1801 Brook Road – (Open Until Midnight)

Pittsburgh: (North Side) 1001 California Ave. – Window open until 9 p.m. Final mail pickup at midnight.
(Downtown) 700 Grant St. – Window open until 6 p.m. Final mail pickup at midnight.

Massachusetts: (only one post office in Massachusetts will be staying open.) Fort Point post office in Dorchester near South Station (24 Hours).

Philadelphia: 2970 Market ST RM 134c (Open Until Midnight)

Seattle: Seattle, Riverton Station, 15250 32nd Ave S. (Open Until Midnight)

Tucson: 1501 S. Cherrybell Stravenue (Drop-off Until Midnight)

Add your own late night post offices in the comments and help your neighbors get their taxes in on time. Thanks!

(Photo:jenna_belle)

Comments

1. chiieddy says:

Boston: Fort Point, 25 Dorchester Ave, Boston, MA 02205 (Open 24 hours, year round – Parking available, follow the instructions of the nice police officer on duty)

2. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

According to Click2Houston.com:

The following post offices in the Houston area will be open late Monday:

Albert Thomas, 14910 El Camino Real, 77059, Until 7 p.m.
    De Moss Station, 6500 De Moss Drive, 77036, Until 6 p.m.
    Granville Elder, 550 Maxey Road, 77013, Until 7 p.m.
    Julius Melcher, 2802 Timmons Lane, 77027, Until 7 p.m.
    Memorial Park, 10506 Town & Country Way, 77024, Until 6 p.m.
    Westfield, 17119 Red Oak Drive, 77090, Until 8 p.m.

In addition, the post offices below will offer full retail service until midnight:

Houston Main Post Office, 401 Franklin, 77251
    Air Mail Center, 19175 Lee Road, Humble, 77338

3. Wimpkins says:

Richmond VA – open until midnight

Main Post Office

1801 Brook Rd

Richmond VA 23232

4. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

@speedwell: please someone close my bold tag if it causes problems… kthxbai

5. nequam says:

@chiieddy: Man, I LOVE that Post Office. Not only is it open 24hrs year-round, but it’s even open on holidays!

6. gqcarrick says:

Buffalo NY – Open until Midnight

Main Post Office

1200 William St.

Buffalo, NY 14240

7. I love tax cat so much. I’ll miss him/her/it.

8. SHUDUPAHYOFACE says:

The post office at South Station in Boston, MA is open 24 hrs. I was told this by an employee at the office around the corner from me. The lines are crazy!!!

9. dry-roasted-peanuts says:

For the last three years, I’ve wound up having to go to the post office to pick up a package on Tax Day. Soooooooooooo happy I don’t have to do that this year.

10. ptkdude says:

For taxpayers who live in Bartow, Burke, De Kalb, Floyd, Fulton, Jefferson or Polk Counties, Georgia, the deadline is May 19th due to the federal disaster area declaration.

11. DeepFriar says:

That’s no Tax Cat! You can tell by the lack of glasses.

12. Diet-Orange-Soda says:

@DeepFriar: Tax Cat doesn’t procrastinate.

13. AD8BC says:

One thing to remember that is never talked about (from the IRS website [www.irs.gov]
    “Penalties and interest do not apply in years in which a taxpayer is entitled to a refund. About a third of those who file returns for past years discover they have a refund coming.”

In other words, if you are damn sure you don’t owe anything, you don’t have to finish today. Do it tomorrow, do it any time in the next 3 years, no penalties.

14. sir_eccles says:

Homer Simpson: “Would you look at those morons… I paid my taxes over a year ago!”

15. Coelacanth says:

Have fun hibernating, Tax Cat!

16. DeliBoy says:

What, no one cares about beautiful Detroit? Typical.

1401 W Fort ST Detroit 48233-9998
    12245 Beech Daly Redford 48239-9998
    1005 E 13 Mile RD Madison Heights 48071-1599

17. econobiker says:

Nashville- Royal Oaks main post office open M-Sat 24 hours. They already had the drive through tent set up for tax drop off by 12 midnight central time.

See it later on the news “Live at 11.”

18. vindiconotitia says:

This one’s open 24-hours a day, 7 days a week! It’s on the Will Rogers World Airport campus!

6500 Air Cargo Rd
    Oklahoma City, OK 73195

Just FYI! Most map services will tell you to get off on 59th, but it’s closed. Take Airport road to Meridian, then take that to Amelia Earhart LN, then take a right there on Air Cargo Rd.

Farewell Tax Cat!

19. Islandkiwi says:

Anyone have a story about filing a day late and facing penalties? Because I sure as Hell haven’t, and I seriously doubt the IRS is as nit-picky as to check postmarks.

I suspect that, as with so many bills, there’s an unmentioned grace period of a few days.

Why people wait until the last day to file eludes me anyway.

20. brandyfelix says:

post office in merrifield, va is open til midnight, i think.

21. Underpants Gnome says:

The daily herald has a list of chicago suburbs area offices that at least have drop boxes or automated machines to postmark your return by midnight:

[www.dailyherald.com]

22. ConsumptionJunkie says:

I love you, Tax Cat!

23. trujunglist says:

@wrongneighborhood:

Oh, it’ll be back when the fun starts again next year…

24. @DeepFriar: tax cat got lasik in anticipation of his stimilus check.

25. chiieddy says:

@nequam: We went there to file last night. It took 15 minutes using the Automated Postage Station and the friendly employee there who did all the work. If we waited for a window, it’d be 40 minutes. The Auto-Station weighs your envelope and allows for extras such as certified and return receipt.

26. nightshadowon says:

@brandyfelix: The one in Merrifield, VA is always open late (I didn’t know until I just checked). Even though I don’t care cause I filed a week ago and an amendment yesterday (yes for the first time I missed something in my taxes LOL).

8409 Lee Hwy
    Merrifield, VA 22081-9998

Business Hours
    MO 08:00-11:59PM
    TU 08:00-11:59PM
    WE 08:00-11:59PM
    TH 08:00-11:59PM
    FR 08:00-11:59PM
    SA 08:00-08:00PM
    SU 09:00-05:00PM

27. Benny Gesserit says:

While I’d be concerned as to how they breath in the box, I wouldn’t mind getting that parcel.

Cats by mail – cat of the month club?

28. GStelz says:

I’ll second chiieddy…The Fort Point post office is on Dorchester Ave in Boston, not actually in Dot itself.

29. FearlessUser says:

YAY!! Stupid video all night on the news showing lines at the post office!!! Can’t wait for that. Almost as bad as the news pointing cameras at the snow when it falls. In Wisconsin. EVERY DAMN SNOW STORM. I hate the news…

30. @Diet-Orange-Soda: It’s Tax Cat’s deadbeat brother, who’s calling Tax Cat tonight in a panic. Too bad Tax Cat is out drinking.

I had to mail on tax day for the first time this year, and the correct answer is definitely “as soon as the post office opens.” Usually I can’t get parking at my post office on a NORMAL day, but at 7:30 a.m. it was empty and I was in and out in five minutes having watched the postal lady do the postmark.

I suppose if you’ve put off filing this long, you’re likely to put it off until after work!

31. compuguy1088 says:

@DeepFriar: Its not Tax Cat. It’s MAIL CAT!!!!

32. djtripp says:

The Anchorage airport post office is open until midnight. If you are in the door by midnight, you are safe. Otherwise, you are screwed. I would love to see people turned away who drove up at 12:00am to see a bevy of people inside, and be turned away to pay (more) another day.