Meijer Accidentally Marks Everything 50% Off, Doesn't Want The Money Back

Midwest grocery giant Meijer experienced a computer glitch that marked nearly everything in their 179 stores (including their gas stations) 50% off for about 60 minutes. From the Palladium-Item:

“It happened at the end of the night,” [Meijer Manager Sandi Wagenknecht] said. “So we weren’t very busy. We caught it early and just rang things up differently to accommodate it.”

A 50 percent discount intended for a style of oriental rug ended up being accidentally applied to nearly everything sold by the retailer, she said.

“We became aware of it pretty quickly,” Behler [spokesperson] told The Grand Rapids Press for a story published Wednesday. “We had lots of folks working on the problem, and within the hour it was fixed.”

Several customers noticed the glitch when they got home, and offered to come back and pay the proper price. Meijer refused. “

It was our error, and there’s nothing that we would require or expect back from our customers,” Behler said.

Aww, Meijer. —MEGHANN MARCO

Local Meijer skirts 50% price glitch [Palladium-Item] (Thanks, Sarah!)
(Photo: merfam)

Comments

1. juri squared says:

Aww, I missed it!

Meijer is the place I go so I can feel all self-righteous for not shopping at Wal-Mart.

2. Schlarg says:

Meijer has some interesting issues with pricing…all of the ones I’ve encountered have been in my favor. I recently bought a watch at Meijer that was labled 59.99 but it rang up as 34.99. I told the cashier I thought it was wrong (stupid, I know) and she said that it happens all the time. About a year ago I bought a pair of slip on shoes that was marked 19.99 and they rang up at 12.99. I always look for “On Sale” tags and none of this stuff was on sale. Either Meijer is overpricing out of the gate or they’re merchandise tagging is out of whack. Was a boon for me either way.

3. catnapped says:

I just wanted to add that I HATE you people with a Meijer around…seems like every other week they’re having 10-20% off sales on everything.

4. joemono says:

I miss Meijer. Fred Meyer is a decent enough substitute, but you can’t buy rodents.

Wasn’t their slogan “Why Pay More?” Kudos to those in this situation who answered “Because you only charged me half of what I owe you!”

5. SeattleGuy says:

I think the kind of calm commentary on the part of Behler with regards to not wanting the money back is what you should get from a retailer. Well done Meijer, too bad you’re not out here in the Pacific Northwest. I would be a loyal customer.

6. bedofnails says:

“Several customers noticed the glich when they got home, and offered to come back and pay the proper price.”

For all that is holy; either these people were Buddhist, retarded, or communists.

7. flyover says:

I MISS Meijer! No 24 hour stores on the west coast can compare. Actually, NO stores on the west coast can compare.

Late night Meijer runs were a must in undergrad, and doing $10 spending contests a great creative shopping outlet (spending no more than $10, find the coolest product/combination of products in the store.

8. existential says:

This is exactly why I shop at Meijer. They just…do the right thing, even when no one is looking. Yeah, it’s a tad more expensive than Walmart, but it’s worth it.

9. Jabes says:

@bedofnails: Or honest.

10. kerry says:

@bedofnails: They’ve probably had enough good experiences with Meijer that they don’t want to get something for nothing from them.

11. CumaeanSibyl says:

Man, I love Meijer. It’s got everything and the stores are always clean. Plus they treat their workers pretty well, and they’re always involved in local charity work.

I think they were founded by a Dutch anarcho-syndicalist, which is also awesome. :)

12. bedofnails says:

@Jabes:

There’s no room for honesty in capitalism.

13. ScramDiggyBooBoo says:

As much as i bitch and moan on this site, i figured i’d actually say something nice for once. Props to Meijer for doing the right thing. It’s nice to see that in todays corporate giants, one (hopefully more) of them are still honest.

14. Secularsage says:

I used to work for Meijer — met my wife there, in fact (we worked on the cashiering lanes together in a college town). It wasn’t the very best company I’ve ever worked for (that would be EB Games pre-Gamestop buyout), but it was definitely up there. I love their profit-sharing program and the way the family that owns the chain will come in and help out on the cashiering lanes if things got busy during a visit. That ROCKED.

My only gripe? Meijer is open on Thanksgiving, and they do whatever they can to get people in pre-black Friday. They also expect their associates to work part of the day. That was one of the reasons I was glad to leave; I resent any retail store that requires its staff to come even for even half a day on Thanksgiving or Christmas. The holiday season is bad enough with two holidays at the beginning and end — no reason to take that away from the staff just to make a few more bucks.

15. umonster says:

@bedofnails: Actually, capitalism needs honesty for it to work. Dishonest people and companies eventually get found out. It’s the centralized economies that don’t get broad oversight.

16. @flyover: “Late night Meijer runs were a must in undergrad”

I’m so with you. We used to go after the bars closed, with the non-designated-driver part of our party fairly drunk, and we’d get there just when the Amish were coming in from their farms to do a little 3:30 a.m. shopping before the farm work started for the day.

Meijer: Brining people together.

(Or — inflicting raucous drunks on the Amish?)

17. jgkelley says:

For as many times as some friends and I went into meijer after 12am just to have something to do, I would probably pay 200% on my groceries every once in a while to have one in the south, where i live now. Kudos indeed.

18. quail says:

I love stopping by a Meijer when I’m traveling through the midwest. Clean stores. Nice prices. Cheap breakfast (at those that serve breakfast). And a decent place to wonder aimlessly when you have nothing better to do.

19. calacak says:

I worked for Meijer for 7 years and I must say I enjoyed working for the company. It has a family owned mentality of running things and for the most part the employees are nice and helpful (yes, I’m being bias :) It had it’s share of problems, but it was far better than working for Kroger.

Meijer use to never dick around with the customer and allowed returns for almost everything. I cannot count the number of times a customer returned products that were branded from Kroger, Walmart or the now-dead Big Bear. My favorite was when someone returned 10 pounds of Kroger ground beef and we excepted it!

The other reason why I will support Meijer is because they will not force shoppers to use those stupid “Club cards” and when I left in ’01, management said they never would. As long as they never introduce these, they’ll always get my money.

20. lostsynapse says:

@bedofnails: The overly nice Christians portrayed by Garrison Keiller have some foundation in reality.

21. ahwannabe says:

I never heard of this place. How do you pronounce it?

22. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

@ahwannabe:
    It’s pronounced just the same as “Meyer”, it’s a Dutch name, hence the unusual spelling.
    I love the one in Michigan City. I’ve never seen so much bread anywhere, an entire aisle of bread!
    The Meijer brand chips are great & a terrific price, almost always on sale.
    Their entire weekly ad is online early Sunday.

23. @ahwannabe: It’s like a Target crossed with a gigantic grocery store crossed with a farm supply store crossed with a Hobby Lobby. With a little liquor store appened to it, just for good measure. THEY ARE INSANE.

In college you could go and come home with locally-made mead, underwear, scented candles, a chainsaw, and a goldfish. Because that’s just the kind of store Meijer is.

24. Buran says:

@bedofnails: So you’re retarded now for doing the right thing?

You disgust me.

25. flyover says:

ooo ooo – don’t know if anyone else was around for Meijer Kids Days too (with spokesman Ed Venture ™). THOSE were the best, treats & games for kids in addition to freebies for a week – ice cream cones, goldfish, etc. We had Meijer goldfish that lasted 3-5 years!

Meijer has some of the best produce selection/prices in areas that may not afford a higher end grocery.

26. hop says:

open one here on the eastern shore of md…., please……

27. Youthier says:

@flyover: Oh hell yes! Meijer Kids Days were awesome! They gave some quality freebies.

I love Meijer. I have to get on the highway to get there but even with gas prices what they are now, my grocery savings still make up for it over the local stores and other regional chains.

28. jlrolin says:

I worked for both Meijer and Wal-mart while I was in college, and I can say Meijer was by far the better store as far as service, and treatment of their employees to an extent.

Meijer also has some very good deals because they use great buying techniques. I noticed many weekends that they would massively load up on paper towels, toilet paper, dairy products, and have very hard to pass up sales on them. This would really bring the influx of people into the store, and as any good retailer does, tempts you to just shop for all your groceries there. Granted, some items were definitely more, but $3.50 for a 8 pack of Brawny was a steal.

They are also a much more stable company, traded privately, and have a much more streamlined workforce. I remember I worked at the Champaign, IL Meijer and we literally destroyed Wal-mart in competition until they opened up a Supercenter across town. Once that happened, they streamlined the workforce since they found a lot of workers were on drugs, or weren’t doing anything on the job. And after the layoffs, the same standard of service was delivered. It was amazing.

Although when I left, I hated half the managers because of the money-grubbing mentality, it was sometimes nice to say the customer was wrong. But in this case, Meijer did the right thing. You can’t recall a computer glitch. It screwed you over a bit, but it sure didn’t bring the company down.

Hats off to Meijer.

29. strathmeyer says:

@Buran: No, you’re retarded because you think the “right thing” for you to do is the same as the “right thing” for me to do.

30. Schlarg says:

@Schlarg: THEIR, THEIR, THEIR – not they’re. My first post and already I look like an idiot.

31. G-Dog says:

I’ve worked for Meijer several times in the past. They are a great company.

32. coconino says:

Meijer reminds me of HEB except it’s 24 hours and its cleaner, bigger, and give you bigger grocer bags!! I like supporting the local smaller chain retailers even though their broccoli is 20cents more than Walmart. Go my fellow Michigan!!!!

33. IC18 says:

Didnt expect to see Meijers here. I’ve always enjoyed shopping at their stores ecspecially the one down the block from a WalMart I pass and flicker everytime. So makes me feel all fuzzy I was shopping at an honest place. The only thing I dont buy there though is the fruit, no flavor what so ever, better at the farmers market.

34. karmaghost says:

@bedofnails: I work part-time for a grocery store and you’d be surprised how often we have honest customers come back because they wheeled their cart out and something inside wasn’t paid for, point out that there are items on the bottom of the cart that we’ve missed, and even come back days later with a receipt saying they were under charged and wanted to make up the difference.

Of course, for every one of these people there are a hundred of the angry, vengeful types.

35. tcabeen says:

I worked at Meijer for a while, and shopped there almost exclusively when I lived in the midwest. I drop by every time I return to visit family. Love that place. In fact, “my” Meijer is near a large Amish community, and provides a hitching post for horses. The last time I was there, they had replaced it with a small steel barn to keep waiting horses shaded and dry. That’s service.

Also, they sell mice.
    And liquor.
    And pretty much anything else you’d want.

Another bit of trivia for everyone is that they don’t build stores on credit. Buying only what they can afford makes for slow expansion, sure, but it’s expansion they can manage.