Paypal Bombed

Last night, an explosion rocked Paypal’s network operations center, blasting windows and leaving a haze in its wake.

That’s right, a real boom, involving fire and oxygen and carbon, went off at at one of their brick and mortar facilities, in the physical world.

No one was hurt and there’s no official word on what caused the blast. San Jose Fire Capt. Jose Guerrero was quick to note, “It wasn’t anything radioactive.”

We’re placing long bets on customers disgruntled over Paypal’s take no prisoners stance towards closing accounts and freezing funds.

Blast at PayPal forces evacuation of 26 employees [MercuryNews] (Thanks to Mike!)
Valleywag has got some exclusive IMs with people on the Ebay campus at the time of the bombing.
KRON4’s on-the-scene, live report.

Comments

1. joehowe64 says:

Wouldn’t doubt it!

I’m amazed that they weren’t the worst company in the poll earlier this year!

When will there ever be a challenger for this market?

Come on Google!

2. AcilletaM says:

First rule of Project Mayhem is you don’t talk about Project Mayhem.

3. Pelagius says:

Well, when this website goes down, I guess I’ll know why. Ben, remember to leave the kettle on for the nice FBI men.

4. acambras says:

I know Paypal sucks the big one and all, and I’m glad no one was hurt, but I find this a little scary.

5. pdxguy says:

Not surprised. Probably someone who got burned in a PayPal transaction or had their account frozen etc. While I don’t condone violence, it’s stupid to think that PayPal’s tactics could go on forever without some response.

6. Fire…Check.
    Oxygen…Check.
    Carbon…Check.

Comcast, here I come! (j/k for all those FBI guys reading)

Seriously though, I agree with pdxguy, they shouldn’t at all be surprised by this…legal formalities and corporate veils will not protect you if you piss off enough (or just the wrong) people.

And nice Fight Club reference AcilletaM!

7. Trae says:

Actually Space Monkeys, the first rule of Project Mayhem is you don’t ask questions. :P

8. Anonymously says:

I’ve got to agree with pdxguy here.

9. Havoc says:

Am I alone in that my first thought was “all he did was bust a window???” Whoever it was would have been better off with some bricks! Geese!

10. InfoMofo says:

Yeah… not liking that fourth paragraph… Taking advantage of an act of terrorism to harp on an agenda is tacky at best.

11. Anonymously says:

Duh, it’s only terrorism if people of Middle-Eastern decent do it. You must not pay enough attention to mainstream media. *tsk* *tsk*

12. RulesLawyer says:

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2387086… responds:

FIREFIGHTERS: AAAAAA++++!!! FAST SERVICE!! WOULD DO BUSINESS AGAIN!!

13. Kat says:

Seeing as Paypal just screwed me over last week, I can’t feel sorry for them. (Only since no one got hurt and no major damage was done.) And since I’m in Indiana, I’m not a suspect.

14. simmo says:

As long as no one gets hurt I would be happy to cheer on those wishing the destruction of paypal servers :P
    One bad experience is enough to make me bitter.

15. Mr. Gunn says:

How much account data was stolen during this diversion/covering of tracks?