No, Really, WaMu Gave Out Counterfeit $100s

Despite the horde of commenters asserting he got slipped fake $100s by an African Safari company, reader BC persists in laying the blame on WaMu.

After posting on The Consumerist, BC’s wife reminds him that the tour operator only handed them back *two* of the three counterfeit $100s. The other Franklin was outside at the time, in a bag, in a Land Rover.

In the original comment, Papadopoulos said that having worked as a WaMu teller and ATM custodian, the ATMs are sometimes loaded with cash from the street.

Kustoo, also a former WaMu employee, agrees. After all, he got slipped fake $100s from WaMu. He says, “The truth is that unless you notice that the money is fake before you actually leave the bank, no bank is going to take responsibility.”

BC writes, “I totally trusted the safari company… they were awesome, and it was just before the prime season, so it was a deeply discounted safari too. I mean, even if he had actually been who robbed me, it still would have been cheap.”

He adds, “I’ll go back to Africa, but I’ll never step in a WaMu again.”

Previously: “WaMu Gives Out Counterfeits, Doesn’t Care

Comments

1. Trai_Dep says:

Hey, we’re AMERICAN. Blaming damned foreigners for our problems is our birthright, isn’t it?

2. Falconfire says:

No I will admit, the way it read it seemed like it was the safari where the 100’s came from, but if one of them was on your the entire time then yeah it was most likely wamu’s fault which like I said could have come from a ton of sources. I am amazed that it was 100s though.. those where thought to be difficult to counterfit. I suspect that it could quite possibly have been the teller themselves who snuck them in, pocketing the real 100s.

3. Jtkiefer says:

That’s the downside to the upside of cash. It’s not really accountable like checks so Wamu can deny all knowledge as soon as you walk out with it. The only way to combat this would be if banks put identifying markers on currency they distribute but that would screw it up for everyone else and make cash a one time use commodity. Sucks that Wamu was passing out fakes in the first place though.

4. Mike_ says:

We’re sorry for doubting you. Come give us a hug.

Hey, has anyone checked in with Beth, the National City customer who can’t balance her checkbook and tried to float debit card transactions? Is she still blaming the bank?

5. Skeptic says:

It’s a fine tale: Poster claims to have been slipped counterfeits by WaMu in US. Poster goes to Africa and gives bills to some guy who leaves the room with them and comes back to inform Poster that 3 are counterfit. Poster’s story shot down. Poster suddenly remembers face-saving detail which contradicts earlier story.

Did WaMu pass bad cash? It is possible. But given that the Poster has supposedly complained up and down to WaMu about the counterfeits and relayed the story countless times, it seems rather convenient to **only now**, after people have pointed out a gaping flaw in his reasoning, to remember that one of the counterfeits was in his bag all along and never left the room. Seems like the he kind of critical detail that would stick in ones mind…

I can see why WaMu didn’t just hand him $300 cash weeks later on his say so. He can’t even keep his story straight. True or not, the tale is less than convincing.

BTW, the OP stated he got the cash from a WaMu ATM. I don’t visit a lot of WaMus. Do their ATMs actually give out $100s? Or is he referring to the cash dispensing system at the patented WaMu kiosk teller branches?

6. gypsychk says:

Once you’ve been passed phunnie munnie, what’s your best chance of getting the situation resolved? Particularly if you’re up against a bank. Anyone know? Someone mentioned the Secret Service, but … really? I’m supposed to call the Secret Service and hope they give a shit that I’ve been taken for $100?

7. jwissick says:

Have you checked the rest of the money you got from wamu? Might shed some light on the subject.

8. DeeJayQueue says:

It’s not WaMu’s fault overall. Any bank would react the same way. If you walked into a bank and said “i came in here and took out money but some of it was counterfeit, here it is now give me real money back.” Would you really expect a teller to go through with that? I mean, what a tailor-made scam! I’d be doing that all the time. Print out a bunch of fake money, take it to the bank, tell the teller you got it at the bank and let them change it for real money. Go to a different bank every time, you can make some serious dosh doing that sort of thing. No wonder they put the brakes on it, true or false.

9. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Skeptic has a good point I’ve taken out $400 from my ATM several times and it’s always given me it in 20 dollar bills. I’ve never seen an ATM give out hundreds.

10. Ben Popken says:

Clarification: Bryan’s wife got the money from the teller dispenser inside the bank.

He writes, “She went to a teller, who processed her withdrawal from checking, and also a check deposit, and they gave her a receipt with a code or something to punch into the cash dispenser, and that’s what gave her the cash.”

11. TVarmy says:

Hmm. There may be a connection to the knife point robbery from the same chain of banks. A quote from that post:

“During Sanchez’s transaction that day, the teller held $100 one at a time up to the light, then walked away to speak with a manager.”

Maybe they’re having a bank-wide problem with counterfeit bills?