Urban Outfitters Rips Designer’s Panda T-Shirt

The Urban Outfitters design theft accusations just don’t stop. Molly Roth writes:

For the past year, I’ve been struggling to get my e-tee shop off the ground. Madapollam.com has 4 original t-shirt designs that I made myself. I’ve been using Myspace.com and Livejournal as avenues to advertise my site.

Just this evening, my friends told me that they saw a t-shirt on Urban Outfitters that looked eerily like one of mine.

I checked it out. I can’t imagine that they didn’t rip their idea from me.

It’s too bad that my original artwork is not going to reach the thousands of people who may end up buying that Urban Outfitters shirt – just some lame-o immitation.

Molly’s shirt is on the left, UO’s on the right.

Comments

1. People Paula says:

Next you’re gonna tell me all their crap shrinks and/or falls apart when you wash it!

2. derek says:

sorry, it’s a panda eating, besides that I don’t see how it’s ripped off.

3. nweaver says:

Yeah. Pandas eat bamboo…

It’s not like “Bomber dropping cupcakes” which is weird and unique enough on its own.

4. Carlos Rodriguez says:

what nweaver said

5. airship says:

I’m sorry, but it’s the SIDEWAYS aspect of this design that is a dead giveaway that it was stolen. That and the fact that, once again, the Urban Outfitters design is crappy compared to the original. Note that they are also on a roll as to (a) turning the designs they steal 180 degrees, and (b) making them look faded. It’s obvious that Urban Outfitters’ designers are no-talent hacks who have to steal their designs from others, and then copy them badly, to boot.

6. tinfoil says:

There certainly is a common thread between the two, and given UO’s previous attempts at creating something new by copying a design from someone else, it’s certainly suspect.

Perhaps UO needs to hire a new design department?

7. snikrepkire says:

I’m sorry but that is not even close to design theft. The concept is similar, the actual design is less similar. A stylized panda with bamboo is not exactly an original concept. If you think it is, then perhaps you stole my company’s panda tee shirts from 15, 8 and 2 years ago.