Yet Another “Hoverboard” Catches Fire While Charging, Singes Carpet In New Jersey Home

As expected, so-called “hoverboards” – that don’t actually hover at all – were a hot commodity under the Christmas tree. But for one New Jersey family, the holiday gift quickly turned from exciting new device to dangerous fire-starter after it burst into flames while charging. 

PIX11 TV reports that the latest instance of a hoverboard catching fire and damaging a home occurred late Sunday evening while the device was plugged in to charge.

Local fire officials posted on Facebook that the family was at home when the incident occurred, but that no one was injured. The fire singed the home’s carpet.

The incident renewed calls from fire officials that the devices should never be left charging unattended.

Safety concerns related to the gadgets began popping up last month when a Louisiana family says the not-actually-a-hoverboard caused a fire that burned down their home.

Shortly after that episode, retailers, including Amazon and Target, began pulling the self-balancing scooters until manufacturers could provide proof of safety standard requirements.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission also announced this month that it would increase its scrutiny of the devices, noting that the agency was working “non-stop” to find the root cause for the fire hazards linked to the scooters.

Hoverboard bursts into flames in New Jersey home [PIX11 TV]

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.