The chemical, which police haven’t yet identified, ruined the machine enough to make it unusable, but didn’t ruin it enough to get the man access to its sweet, cash-filled center. Police report that he checked back on the machine twice, presumably to find out whether the acid had dissolved the machine sufficiently. It never did, but it did also bleach the concrete below the machine.
Since it’s the off-season on college campuses, no one noticed the chemical contamination for almost a week. Six days later, a student went to use the ATM and sustained a chemical burn. Fortunately, he wasn’t injured badly enough to need medical attention. However, the machine needs to be replaced. Police say that a new ATM will cost about $50,000.