Ask Tax Dad: Send Us Your Questions For Consumerist’s Tax Columnist

TAXDADSEZIt’s almost time for W-2s and other tax documents to start winging their way from employers to our homes, and for the anxiety-inducing yearly tax season to begin. But taxes don’t have to be scary if your dad is there to help. Or, if your own dad isn’t around or doesn’t know anything about taxes, how about my dad?

Last year, Tax Dad replaced Tax Cat as our yearly columnist on tax return questions. Just who is Tax Dad? He’s John Northrup, dad of Consumerist Assistant Editor Laura Northrup, an accountant since before you were born and an IRS certified tax preparer since 1988.

Tax Dad has accounted in the military, in the corporate sector, and for a not-for-profit health care organization. He retired in 1998 and today does tax preparation and freelance bookkeeping. In his spare time (which is most of his time) he enjoys hunting, hiking, voracious reading, nature photography, and trolling Internet comments sections, including Consumerist.

Have a question for Tax Dad about your federal or state tax returns? Send it to us at with “ASK TAX DAD” in the subject line. We’ll run the answers as soon as we can get him to stop Photoshopping pictures of wild grouse.

Disclaimer: The nature of free advice is that you often pretty much get what you pay for. Questions answered in the “Ask Tax Dad” column should not serve as a substitute for consulting a tax preparer, accountant, attorney, or certified tax cat of your very own. Tax Dad regrets that he cannot offer advice privately over e-mail.

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.