1 Dead, 4 Sick In Hotel Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A carbon monoxide poisoning has been blamed for the death of one hotel guest and the sickness of four others. The disaster unfolded at a West Virginia Holiday Inn Express, at which firefighters discovered high levels of the gas on several floors. They found that the source of the leak was a water heater.

The AP reports the hotel was evacuated. Colleagues discovered the man was dead after he didn’t appear at a meeting. Four guests who showed up to his room to check up on him reported feeling sick.

Dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, an invisible, odorless gas, are tough to identify, which is why safety experts recommend installing detectors in your home.

W.Va. hotel evacuated after guest dies, 4 sickened [AP via MSN]

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.