Toddler Receives Alcoholic Margarita Mix Instead Of Apple Juice At Applebee's

Big mistake. Huge. Police are investigating a Detroit-area Applebee’s after a toddler was mistakenly given margarita mix in the place of the apple juice his mother ordered along with his kid’s meal.

The 15-month-old’s mom ordered the apple juice for her son, but began to get suspicious when she says they took the drink from him after he’d ingested some of it, got tired and refused to eat.

“We took it from him and he kind of laid his head on the table,” Taylor Dill-Reese told local news WDIV 4. “He dozed off a little bit and woke up and got real happy.”

Dill-Reese sampled what her son had been sipping before they left, and detected the alcoholic mix right away.

“The manager came up to me and he smelled it and he was like, ‘I am so sorry ma’am, I just don’t know what to do,'” she said. The police were called and the boy was taken to the hospital. Doctors said he could’ve been in danger of dying if he’d had the entire cup, but that he would likely be okay.

Applebee’s corporate office emailed Local 4 a statement reading “Obviously any situation like this is unacceptable and we take it very seriously. We are working with local authorities and conduction our own investigation so we can assess exactly what happened.”

Toddler Mistakenly Given Alcohol at Applebee’s [WDIV Detroit]

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.