Government Program Replaces Mutilated Cash

Just because your dog mistakes a $100 bill for a chew toy, it doesn’t mean you’re out the cash. You can just take what’s left of your mangled paper and send it to the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing’s Mutilated Currency Division, which will issue you a check for the amount you otherwise would have lost.

The Baltimore Sun profiles the little-known government organization, revealing it comes to the aid of those who unwisely try to dry wet money in the microwave or buried cash underground in 1999, fearful of a Y2K apocalypse.

Don’t expect a quick turnaround, though. It can take as long as 20 months for an examiner to complete its investigation of your mutilated money.

The article tells how to go about getting your cash replaced:

Mail the remains of paper money along with a letter on how it was destroyed to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing at MCD/OFM, BEPA, Room 344A, P.O. Box 37048, Washington, D.C. 20013. Send it via registered mail, return receipt requested. Make sure it’s packaged in a way to prevent further deterioration.

Coins that have been damaged can be sent to the Superintendent, U.S. Mint, P.O. Box 400, Philadelphia, Pa. 19105.

Dog ate your C-note? Uncle Sam might be able to help [The Baltimore Sun]

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.