Help! My W-2 Is Late And I Want Justice!

Tax Cat here. Reader Jason wants to know what to do when your lazy former employer doesn’t send your W-2 on time.

Jason says:

Hoping you can help answer a question that I think a lot of your readers will find useful: What do I do if I don’t get my W-2 on time?

My girlfriend was laid off last spring, and has not yet received her W-2 from her former employer. I know they have two more days to get it here, but this company has repeatedly demonstrated its ineptitude and we don’t anticipate the form arriving.

Short of calling the employer and complaining, is there any recourse when you don’t get a W-2 by the January 31 deadline?

Oddly, our own Ben Popken had this problem back in 2007. The solution? Tattle to the IRS. The employer will get a nasty letter and maybe a fine.

Ben even got an apology letter.

Here’s who to call:

IRS Telephone Assistance for Individuals:
Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Tell ’em Tax Cat sent ya.

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.