We asked for it and you sent them in, a smorgasbord of drugs with extremely disturbing side effects. Here’s nine of the most disturbing we found. Jeez! Sometimes the cure really can be worse than the disease…
MIRAPEX – for “Restless Leg Syndrome”
“…hallucinations may occur…”
“…increased gambling, sexual, or other overpowering urges…”
ABILIFY – bipolar disorder, schizophrenia
“coma or death…And trouble swallowing.”
FLOMAX – decreases symptoms from having an enlarged prostate (mainly frequent urination)
* runny nose
* decrease in semen
ALLI – weight loss aid
“These changes may include gas with oily discharge, an increased number of bowel movements, an urgent need to have them, and an inability to control them.”
VERAMYSYT – “treats allergy symptoms with a gentle fine mist that is scent-free.”
“nasal sores, glaucoma, cataracts and nasal fungal infection”
More disturbingly, ads for Veramyst used to say, “The way VERAMYST works is not entirely understood.”
ORTHO-NOVUM – birth control pill
“…benign but dangerous liver tumors. These benign liver tumors can rupture and cause fatal internal bleeding. In addition, some studies report an increased risk of developing liver cancer.”
ADVAIR – asthma treatment
“asthma related death”
CHANTIX – anti-smoking aid
“Nausea, sleep disturbance, constipation, flatulence, and vomiting.”
That doesn’t sound so bad, except “sleep disturbance” is more like psychotic nightmares that persist even after you stop taking the pill. To wit:
By night four, my dreams began to take on characteristics of a David Cronenberg movie. Every time I’d drift off, I’d dream that an invisible, malevolent entity was emanating from my air conditioner, which seemed to be rattling even more than usual. I’d nap for twenty minutes or so before bolting awake with an involuntary gasp. I had the uneasy sense that I wasn’t alone.
Did we mention the killing of yourslef? Another side effect is, “suicide ideation”
Like a spoiled teenager, I’d suddenly uproot drawers from the bureau, push all the belongings off shelves with a sudden swat of the arm, smash a glass against the wall, and then the crying would take over yet again. Meanwhile, the room seemed to be pulsing and reverberating around me, and my eye would keep zeroing in on objects-the television, the AC, a pair of shoes-and feel as though they were somehow buzzing with life and gleefully watching me endure the biggest meltdown I’d ever had. I had somehow ruined myself, and suicide seemed like a good way to avoid the embarrassment of this fact’s being exposed.
This Is My Brain on Chantix [NY Mag]
ACCUTANE – acne
* depressed mood, trouble concentrating, sleep problems, crying spells, aggression or agitation, changes in behavior, hallucinations, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
* sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
* blurred vision, sudden and severe headache or pain behind your eyes, sometimes with vomiting;
* hearing problems, hearing loss, or ringing in your ears;
* seizure (convulsions);
* severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
* loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
* severe diarrhea, rectal bleeding, black, bloody, or tarry stools;
* fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, purple spots under your skin, easy bruising or bleeding; or
* joint stiffness, bone pain or fracture.
But hey, at least you don’t have pimples!
Undoubtedly we’ve missed some deservingly disturbing drugs. Rectify our omissions in the comments.
(Photo: Maddest Hatter)