Where Do I Turn For Help With My Mortgage?

Reader Mike is in a “challenging mortgage situation” and wants to know where he should turn for help.

Mike asks:

What’s the typical mortgagee’s point of contact to find out how all this bailout stuff affects them? If I have a challenging mortgage situation and want to see if I qualify for relief, what do I do? Call my mortgager? Write my congressman?

It sounds like you need some professional guidance. The FTC recommends contacting a housing counseling agency. Here is how they recommend finding one:

Call the local office of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (www.hud.gov) or the housing authority in your state, city, or county for help in finding a legitimate housing counseling agency nearby. Or consider contacting the NeighborWorks® Center for Foreclosure Solutions at 888-995-HOPE or http://www.nw.org. The Center is an initiative of NeighborWorks America.

Here’s NeighborWorks America’s Foreclosure Resource page, and here’s a Guide to Avoiding Foreclosure from HUD.

We hope that helps you, Mike. Good luck.

Mortgage Payments Sending You Reeling? Here’s What to Do
Foreclosure Resources [NeighborWorks America]
Guide To Avoiding Foreclosure [HUD]
(Photo: Groovnick )

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.