How the heck do they figure out your FICO credit score? The five different factors, in order of decreasing importance are: 1) payment history 2) amounts owed 3) length of credit history 4) new credit 5) types of credit used. For a bit more detailed explanation on how each of these plays out, the “What’s in your FICO score” at myFico.com is a good place to start.
What Goes Into Your FICO?
By Ben Popken November 18, 2008
- Helping Or Hurting Consumers? Potential FICO Credit Score Changes Could Hurt, Rather Than Help Some Consumers’ Creditworthiness
- making the switch Will Costco’s Switch From American Express To Visa Affect My Credit?
- you always hurt the ones you love 3 Ways You Could Be Hurting Your Credit Score Even If You Pay Your Bills On Time
- The Debt of Education As Many As 1-in-3 Student Loans May Be Delinquent
- behind the numbers 3 Things We’ve Learned About How Demographics, Credit Scores & Marital Status Affect Your Car Insurance Rates