When insurers don’t pay the full amount of the bill, health-care providers are going after patients to make up the difference. It’s known as “balance billing,” and it’s often illegal, BusinessWeek reports. Under state and federal laws, doctors and hospitals generally need to be dealing with the insurers, instead of pressuring vulnerable patients. Have you had any success with fighting balance billing? Leave your story in the comments.
Beware Balance Billing
By Ben Popken September 8, 2008
- get well... pay more Why Emergency Rooms Are A Hotbed For Surprise Medical Bills
- the bad kind of surprise Insurance Loopholes & Master Pricing: How Surprise Medical Bills Knock Consumers Down
- Only Good Surprises Welcome Florida Implements Law Protecting Consumers From Surprise Medical Bills
- get well... pay more $164 Per Mile: Surprise Ambulance Bills Are A Growing Problem & Difficult To Avoid
- The Worst Kind of Surprise Nearly 1-In-3 Privately Insured Americans Received A Surprise Medical Bill In Last Two Years