Wrong Order Kills Customer At Ruby Tuesday

UPDATE: Ruby Tuesday Says Man Ordered Fatal Crab Dish
The AJC reports that a 35-year-old man who was allergic to shellfish has died from eating the wrong entree at a Ruby Tuesday restaurant in Lovejoy, GA. Rodney Hawkins, a local rapper, went into anaphylactic shock after he ate crabmeat contained in a chicken dish. He had ordered the Chicken Fresco, but the Chicken Oscar was brought to him by mistake. He collapsed inside the restaurant. Details, inside…

The article says,

Emergency personnel arrived at Ruby Tuesday around 9:45 p.m., and Hawkins was pronounced dead at Southern Regional Hospital less than 30 minutes later.

No charges will be filed, Bankhead said. A call to the Lovejoy Ruby Tuesday was referred to company headquarters. Attempts at reaching a spokesperson were unsuccessful.

Anaphylaxis occurs when a trigger activates immune cells, which then release large amounts of multiple substances, including histamine, into the bloodstream, according to UpToDate.com, an online community for physicians.

It’s estimated anywhere from 500 to 1,000 people die annually from severe anaphylaxis.

Call us crazy, but we think people deserve the right to get the food that they ordered and not have to worry about dying when the restaurant gets it wrong. Our condolences to the victim.

Wrong dish blamed in Hampton man’s death [AJC] (Thanks to fmfats!)

Want more consumer news? Visit our parent organization, Consumer Reports, for the latest on scams, recalls, and other consumer issues.