Lazy, fat, inbred, black, pathetic, stupid, liar, thief, nigger. Those are some of the defamatory words Merchants Retail Credit Association (MRCA) used on Dolores Madduxes’ family when they tried to collect on a debt Dolores Maddux, who is dead, owed CitiFinancial. For these violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Madduxes sued MRCA and won $854,389.81. Even delinquent debtors have rights and it’s important to know them and call an attorney if they’re being violated.
Family Sues Racist Debt Collector For $854,389.81, Wins
By consumerist.com December 18, 2007
- lawsuits Supreme Court OKs Private Debt Collectors’ Use Of Prosecutors’ Letterhead To Make People Pay
- time to pay JPMorgan To Pay $100M To Settle Unlawful Debt-Collection Allegations In California
- Protecting Those Who Protect Us Servicemembers Twice As Likely To Submit Complaints About Unsavory Debt Collection Practices
- cfpb New Rules Would Require Debt Collectors Have Proof You Actually Owe Money
- robocalls What You Need To Know About New Rules Allowing Debt Collection Robocalls From Feds