If You Filed A Tax Extension You Have 10 Days To Get Your Crap Together

If you are one of the 10.2 million taxpayers who requested an automatic six-month extension, your time is almost up.

You have 10 days. The deadline is October 15.

Don’t forget, if your income is below $52,000 you can Free File.

(Photo: The Jaundiced Eye)


Edit Your Comment

  1. azntg says:

    I think there should be an asterisk besides the term: “Free File.”

    Once upon a time, free file meant file all your taxes for free. Now, it’s more like one of the two (whichever it may be) is free online and the other will cost you a lot more than the cost of paper, printing and postage. Wanna mail it in? Sure, we have a charge for that too!

  2. astrochimp says:

    How can it be an automatic extension if you have to request it?

  3. Jeff_McAwesome says:

    Thank god I took the jump. There was so much content after the jump that it totally makes it worth the inconvince of having to click to read a full article.

  4. Trai_Dep says:

    File your late taxes, slacker, or the anxious-looking kittie dies…

  5. marsneedsrabbits says:

    I have a friend who hasn’t filed her taxes and hasn’t filed an extension either because she “knows” that she’ll be getting money back, so it’s all okay somehow. I don’t think this is right, but since they aren’t my taxes or my substantial penalties, I haven’t looked.
    Offhand, does anyone know if what she says is true?
    Do you still have to file if you will be getting money back?

  6. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

    Awesome photo.

  7. Trai_Dep says:

    @marsneedsrabbits: If you are owed money, you can file past 4/15 w/o a penalty. However the IRS will look at your gross income vs your withholding and NOT count the standard deduction.

    So either you’re owed so woefully much that you’re an idiot not to collect your money. Or you owe money, or appear to owe money as the IRS sees things, and they’ll assess penalties until you prove them wrong. Either of these two lead to undue complications.

    That’s how a tax guy explained it to me, at any rate.

    Bottom line, tell your friend to put down the freaken bong and file. Soon.

  8. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

    @trai_dep: Also, if you don’t owe, you can file at any time without penalty.

  9. STrRedWolf says:

    Must be my turn now to say: YAY! CATURDAY!!! :)

  10. thegcore says:

    i am actually owed money, but i am studying abroad in the uk, and forgot to file my taxes. how screwed am i if i dont do it by years end?

  11. Rusted says:

    That cat looks ready to do damage.

  12. Trai_Dep says:

    @ceejeemcbeegee: Kewl. Good to know.

  13. IRSistherootofallevil says:

    You should be able to charge them interest and penalties for losing people’s refund checks. I’d say….300% APR is reasonable and $50,000 per lost check is reasonable.

  14. disavow says:

    If you’re owed a refund, you have three years to request it by filing. So like if you haven’t filed for 2006, you have until 4/15/10 (or whatever the actual filing date is that year) to do so.

    The IRS says so.

  15. keepitsocial says:

    I am a CPA in MA. Its an automatic 6 months because it used to be split into two separate extensions. One for 4 months and then you had to request another 2.