Taco Bell Has Sold 200 Million Doritos Loco Tacos, Plans More Flavors

Americans really, really love Doritos. We also love fast-food tacos. Therefore, it’s only logical that we should love Taco Bell’s nacho cheese-ish Doritos Loco tacos. After a $75 million advertising barrage, the chain has now sold 200 million of these spectacularly popular tacos. That’s, what, one million hungry stoners fed?

We at Consumerist have been fascinated and horrified at this marriage of addictive snacks as their relationship developed. Now word on the street is that more Doritos Loco flavors are coming soon: possibly Cool Ranch and Flamas. Both are currently in certain test markets. Surely we must have some readers who live in those test markets and enjoy the occasional fast-food taco. Are they any good?

No, cynics, Taco Bell hasn’t paid us cash or even offered us a single free taco. We couldn’t accept it even if they did: we don’t take any freebies or accept outside advertising from companies. We just find fast food very compelling, like that singular feat of American ingenuity, the Double Down.

Besides, we’re not the only people with opinions and smartphones who find the Doritos Loco compelling. Check out this new ad that features what purport to be actual Instagram snapshots of tacos before and during consumption. Tasty.

Taco Bell sells 200 million Doritos tacos [Orange County Register]

PREVIOUSLY:
Doritos Locos Tacos Are Apparently The Most Successful Thing Ever
Doritos Shells Arrive At Taco Bell Restaurants Nationwide Tonight At Midnight

Comments

1. Scrutinizer says:

Consumerist would never take a dollar menu item as a bribe. Anyone who thinks differently is just paranoid.

In unrelated news Consumerist will be doing car reviews next month, wink wink

2. cactus jack says:

I’m sitting at work starving this morning due to waking up late, and the taco bell picture killed my appetite. Thanks Consumerist! I think I can survive until lunch now.

3. Smiley Massacre says:

If you haven’t had the chance to try it out, I would recommend doing so. I am one for not eating Doritos, but this bit of delicious treasure is a great treat. Just try not to over do it.

…baaaah, who am I kidding? Eat a million of them. You deserve it.

4. Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

I tried one and just don’t like it. Too salty and overpowering. Although, if you hate tacos and love doritos and don’t want to taste anything else, they work wonderfully.

• Laura Northrup says:

See, I love Doritos, but not the nacho flavor. If I could get a large, Cool Ranch-covered surface that also comes with some protein, this might work for me.

• NewsMuncher says:

I wish I could find Munchies in Cool Ranch. Most stores only carry the Flaming and the Nacho Cheesy. I keep hurting myself on the Nacho Cheesy, but not before the cheese starts to annoy me. Cool Ranch has a happier taste-annoyance to tummy-ache ratio.

That said, Cool Ranch tacos? Cool on the outside, warm taco goodness on the inside— What’s not to love?!

5. dulcinea47 says:

If they do Cool Ranch I just might be moved to try one. (I don’t eat fast food anymore, pretty much ever, but when I did Taco Bell was a regular stop.)

• fatediesel says:

Taco Bell currently has 2 new flavors in test markets with Cool Ranch and Flamas, and at least 1 of those should get a national launch in the not-too-distant future.

6. 4Real says:

I thought they would be nasty but the are actually very tasty just messy..lol

7. alana0j says:

Oh my gosh if they made one from the Enchilada Supreme Doritos…oh man I would have to start frequenting Taco Bell again! Either that or Spicier Nacho! Do they still even make those? I dunno but I demand something SPICY!

• Extended-Warranty says:

They are testing Flamas :)

• alana0j says:

I’ve not tried those ones. Are they actually spicy? Or more like the spicy nachos where you wouldn’t give them to a small child but they don’t have much of a kick?

8. elangomatt says:

I wonder how many of those 200 million sales are from people trying it for the first time and then not getting it again. Personally, I think I have 2 of them and they are ok. I wouldn’t throw it out if it was all I had to eat, but I’d pretty much take any other taco even from the TB menu over the doritos loco version. The Doritos flavor just overpowered the other ingredients.

• Caddyshack says:

I am one of them. The shells are tasteless and are not even close to tasting like a Dorito chip. The only thing I get out of eating them are red fingers.

9. BilliamJ says:

“Check out this new ad that features what purport to be actual Instagram snapshots of tacos before and during consumption. Tasty.”

I first read that as before and after and thought EWWWW!!!

10. Ouze says:

I don’t like nacho cheese Doritos, I don’t like Taco Bell, but when you put them together, inexplicably I find them delicious. You can’t explain that.

11. shepd says:

BRING BACK KETCHUP DORITOS!

That is all. :)

12. Extended-Warranty says:

If anyone gets a chance, try the supreme version. Instead of sour cream, get the volcano sauce. Increcible.

13. theblackdog says:

I wonder if Taco bell would let me order one but with chicken instead of beef.

• alana0j says:

Yeah you just have to sub chicken and it’s like 60 cents to a buck more or so, depending on where you live and if you’re at a franchise or a corporate store.

14. Applekid says:

Double down? HA HA, that’s right!

4/12
    DOUBLE DOWN EVERY DAY

15. AttackCat says:

But where are the Instagram shots taken AFTER consumption?

16. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Taco Bell is win.

Doritos are gross. At the very least, the regular nacho cheese ones…I have never understood how/why they became popular.

I can eat the ranch ones, but that’s about it. But I’m not sure that making a taco out of the ranch flavor stuff makes any sense…

17. frankrizzo:You're locked up in here with me. says:

I’ve never eaten at Taco Bell and don’t ever plan to.

18. samonela says:

Cool Ranch or GFTO!

19. tinyhands says:

Disappointing that Taco Bell has chosen to go this route, rather than offering healthier options like baked taco shells or lean ground turkey instead of ground beef. Baked chips, including Doritos brand, have been on the market for years and are, in my opinion, perfectly acceptable. And as for the beef, have you ever seen the orange oil that comes off of this stuff? Even SLIGHTLY healthier would be an improvement. No, let’s add a kilogram of sodium and who knows what else on top of what is already junk food.

[Disclaimer: My first job as a teen roughly 25 years ago was at Taco Bell, so I'm aware of what goes on in their "kitchens." I am no longer associated with them, but as far as I can tell, nothing has changed. I choose to spend my calorie/fat/sodium "budget" elsewhere.]

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

They’ve tried. I remember eating some if it a long time ago…low/no fat sour cream, lower carb/calorie tortillas, etc.

No one wanted it. So it went away.

• shepd says:

Will you become a Taco Bell regular, along with millions like you should they offer these options?

So many other fast food places heard the complaints and offered such options, and then it turns out most people that eat like that refuse to eat fast food even if it is what they want. They prefer it to be made at home. They want free range eggs. They want grain fed cattle. They want organic vegetables. They want skin on the fries. They want less salt in everything. They want whole wheat buns (or, I guess in this case, tacos). Those last three affecting the taste of the product putting off their already-regular customers.

The list of excuses goes on when the real answer is that most people eating such as yourself recognize you make a better meal at home and just wouldn’t eat at Taco Bell. And that’s fine, but don’t waste time trying to change them–it just makes things suck. :)

20. pyster says:

I cant understand the hate for this product some people have.

Questions about the taco meat were answered when some lying lawyers made claims they couldnt back up. The vegetable matter is fresh. The taco shell is a taco shell with Doritos powder dusting. Exactly where the hell does this hate or ew factor come in?

Reality, they taste good. Havent had one? Really, just stfu.

• BorkBorkBork says:

You addressed complaints that haven’t been brought up on this comment thread. Who are you arguing with?

Really, stop rambling. You sound insane.

21. do-it-myself says:

As much as I absolutely love the fact there will be Cool Ranch flavored tacos….I will NOT be satisfied until we get the Doritos Taco Flavored….Taco. Only then will the universe have made sense and have gone full circle.

BTW, I take offense that those who love these tacos are all stoners. I’ve never consumed weed in any voluntary fashion.

22. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I hope they try Spicy Sweet Chili – I love those!

23. CrackedLCD says:

I’ve always felt a certain amount of shame for enjoying Taco Bell, but I have nothing but revulsion over Doritos of any kind. The two together are an amalgamation of sadness, wrapped in despair.

24. acatchyscreenname says:

Can I get Taco Flavored Doritos Locos Tacos?