I Want My Trans Fats Back: Consumerist Readers Speak Out About Recipe Changes

Last week, we asked you, the members of the Consumerist Hive Mind, what prepared food items you’ve abandoned or fallen out of love with due to a recipe or ingredient change. What we learned from reading the responses: Consumerist readers love their junk food almost as much as Consumerist editors do.

The two most common complaints: The new recipe of Domino’s pizza, and the sea salt incarnation of Wendy’s french fries. demona667 started things off:

Wendy’s french fries. I’m not sure what they changed besides the salt (now sea salt) but the texture is all wrong.

nugatory:

I don’t eat at Wendy’s anymore due to their fries. Is it even possible for them to put more salt on the fries? I might as well just eat a handful of salt as eat their fries.

You know, they make products like that, but not for humans. Sad.

AtlantaCPA had an astute observation:

I hate them too, and have only ever met people who hate them. Funny thing is their sales of fries have gone way up since making the change so I guess we’re all in the minority?

chatterboxwriter takes the controversial position that trans fats might be terrible for us, but darn it, they’re delicious.

I hate to say it, but cupcakes and crackers taste terrible to me ever since they moved away from using trans fats. I used to love Tastykake peanut butter candy cakes and the chocolate cupcakes with the creme filling, but now they are gross. I also used to [love] Turkey Hill ice cream, but I have noticed a very chemical-like aftertaste after eating their mint chocolate chip flavor lately. I haven’t bought their ice cream since.

madgrigal concurs:

I feel the same way about girl scout cookies. I used to be able to eat a box in one sitting, and now I can barely finish a box before they go stale. This happened after they stopped using trans fats.

Of course, polishing off a box in one sitting isn’t necessarily a good thing.

incident-man stole my avatar has taken to making his or her own trans fat-laden goodies at home.

Oh, my.

Pete the Geek and other commenters rhapsodized about the deep-fried McDonald’s pies of yore.

McDonalds apple pies. They used to be deep fried in real grease and the warning “contents may be hot” was to be taken seriously; if you bit it open to cool it down and accidentally got some of that hot fried apple pie filling on [your] lip, you would have a burnt lip! Now McDonalds apple pies are baked and have enormous vent holes, so they are at best room temperature. I keep trying the new ones, but the are never quite as good as the original ones!

Josh longs for the old Famous Amos recipe, and may need to rethink his priorities in life.

Decades ago they changed the recipe for Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies. My life has never been the same since.

ct_price longs for old-fashioned ice cream that only contains simple, basic ingredients like “ice” and “cream.”

Nearly any ice cream brand that contains guar gum or carrageenan. Haagen-Dazs is the only one that uses a pure ingredient recipe. Even Ben and Jerry’s uses it. Shoot, they carry Graeter’s in Kroger now and they talk about how it’s made the old-fashioned way – you can watch them make it in-store in Ohio and I don’t think the old-fashioned recipe called for drizzling in guar gum. Sad. My love of black raspberry chip has ended.

AtlantaCPA shared a change in one food on this list that was almost healthy. Or used to be.

Purely O’s from Cascadian Farms. It was awesome, it was a less sugar, organic version of Cheerios. Then one day they change the ingredients to have MORE sugar than Cheerios (like twice the sugar IIRC) with nothing like “new recipe” or anything on the box. People just had to notice on their own. Usually once you vet a food you don’t have to worry about going back to recheck the ingredients over and over.

Very shady change and there is huge uproar over it in the groups of people who have noticed.

samandiriel is already looking ahead to Easter:

Cadbury Easter Cream Eggs.
They used to have yummie soft goo in them, and then they switched to some kind of horrible semi-crystalized frosting nastiness.

Ew. It’s true. If you’ve thought of any other disappointing recipe changes since last week, please do share them in the comments.

Comments

1. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

It’s funny you should use this picture for this article. That plate held the most wonderful quiche I’ve ever had in my life. I used to eat at that bakery when I was a child and the recipe has not changed. If it did, I would be so very very sad.

It’s home-made by the bakery in question though… so I think the only reason it may change would be if the ownership changed to an idiot, or if they went out of business all together.

Dammit Laura, now I want quiche.

2. MrPersonMan says:

The problem is they took the fat out and replaced it with cheaper trans-fat. Now they’re taking all the fat out. No fat, no flavor.

• Willow16 says:

Exactly! They should use butter and lard again in baked/fried goods. Lard in pie crusts was amazing.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

And some wonder why groups are trying to force people into better eating – even with a product as unequivocally bad for you as trans fats people are still willing to kill themselves over food.

(Blah blah free will, blah blah freedom, blah blah nanny states. Yeah, I know.)

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

But are there not some people who live a healthy, balanced life, eat healthful foods, exercise, and once in a while want to splurge, in moderation, on something that tastes good? It’s not an all-or-nothing proposition.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I believe that percentage of people is far outweighed, literally, but the rest of us.

• msbaskx2 says:

I agree with you wholeheartedly, really I do.

But it’s hard to make that argument when people themselves say things like, “I used to be able to eat a box in one sitting, and now I can barely finish a box before they go stale.”

So……. this trans-fat ban is working, right?

• nbs2 says:

Unfortunately, hyperbole is still legal.

While I could finish off a container of good ice crem (Talenti, B&J, Hagen Daaz, Perry’s, Blue Bell) in one sitting, I don’t. Compare that with Edy’s, where I’d rather just not eat it.

• StarKillerX says:

Yeah but they were talking about GS cookies so “a whole box” is really only about 8 cookies.

• JJFIII says:

Actually, there is no level of trans fat that is considered moderation. There is no nanny state on this issue. The COMPANIES decided to abandon trans fat because the VAST majority of people do not want them in their diet because it KILLS. The government only tells these companies they must make us AWARE of what is in our food.
        Your moderation could be used for users of cocaine, heroin or crystal meth as well.

• dangermike says:

Actually, all three of those are available in clinical preparations. Cocaine is a decent topical antisthetic, methamphetamine is prescribed as Desoxyn for ADHD and narcoelpsy, and diacetylmorphine is preferred over morphine as a treatment for severe pain due to a lessened side-effect profile (at least in the UK. US and Canadian law make widespread prescription use impractical)

• kung fu lola says:

Yep. I work for a pharma company and we sell cocaine, heroin and opium every day to your friendly neighbourhood pharmacy.

• Applekid says:

You forgot the smattering of local and county laws banning transfats. They could either A) stop selling in that list of areas, an ever-changing living thing, B) run two batches of the same product and complicate the distribution systems in place, or C) switch to an all-location legal item.

That’s also why California consumer laws affect the rest of the country, too, because it’s such a burden to adhere to California laws that it’s cheaper to comply with them for everything going out the door.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

And some wonder why groups are trying to force people into better eating

“Groups” LOL.

Let’s call them what they are, please.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

What are they?

I said groups because it’s both public and private institutions.

• dcatz says:

My body is my own and what I chose to put in or not to put in it is not your business.

• MrPersonMan says:

The problem is you aren’t truly getting a choice. There’s a huge misunderstanding of natural fats and people think they are bad for you. It’s government mandated to be low so they used trans-fats. Put the natural fat back in!

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

To play devil’s advocate, it’s my business when what you put i your body affects me. Such as higher premiums on insurance.

• PBallRaven says:

Horse hockey.

• nbs2 says:

To play devil’s advocate, it’s my business when what you take abort out of your body affects me. Such as higher premiums on insurance.

• wombats lives in [redacted] says:

Not when you look at the preventative costs saved.

• RayanneGraff says:

Right… cause an abortion(which isn’t even covered by most insurance plans) costs SO much more than 9 months of prenatal care, a hospital birth, and decades of medical care for the child after its born. Tool.

• cspschofield says:

No, it isn’t. It may LOOK like it’s your business, but unless you want some busybody you may not agree with dictating all they details of YOUR life, you need to back the heck off.

I believe that there are peer reviewed studies that claim to show that being active in a Protestant Church has a strong correlation with good health. Want to mess with them pickles? There is simply no end to what self-appointed Guardians of the Public Good could decide should become mandatory.

It. Ain’t. Their. Godsdamned. Business.

• RayanneGraff says:

I’ll mess with them “pickles”- It’s been shown that being active in a COMMUNITY(not just a church!) where you feel loved and supported by the other community members is good for your health, and it has nothing to do with what kind of community it is. Care to cite your sources about this study? I’d sure like to read where it says that scientists have confirmed that CHURCH attendance, specifically protestant church attendance, is good for you.

And yes, it IS his business and MY business when some glutton’s self-inflicted health problems cause OUR premiums to go up. When I have to pay more for my own care because some selfish lardass enjoys sucking down trans fats all day long, I have the right to tell him to put the fucking fork down.

• Rhinoguy says:

Stop worrying about your premiums going up because of fat people eating wrong. They went up decades ago and nothing has changed in that department. Premiums are going up for the same reason everything else goes up. Management wants more money for itself and the investors. The workers be damned.

• cspschofield says:

OK, be advised. If you ever take that attitude with me in person, I will beat you like a redheaded step-child. You are no different from the swine who tried to force people to convert during the 30 years war or the idiots who want to ‘cure’ homosexuals. You are an obnoxious little busy-britches, and the sooner your karma catches up with you the better.

• Applekid says:

Hey, wanna go for some drinks later to discuss your choosing to put things in your body?

• HalOfBorg says:

Just remember – eating healthy, exercising and all that – it’s just the slowest possible way to die.

• cspschofield says:

For me,. it’s more a case of “OK, that’s The Word now, but is it going to be The Word in three years?” It used to be The Word that a high salt diet was unequivocally BAD. Now there is research that calls that into question, serious question, but Nanny Bloomberg is still obsessing about salt. I would be completely unsurprised, given the current “We the experts know best” atmosphere, to discover that the research on trans-fat was not simply mistaken but actively fraudulent.

Or, to look at it another way, the more authority the State takes on to itself, the more opportunities it has to prove that it is an ass.

4. Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

You know, diet and eating healthy isn’t everything. Both my grandparents lived to be almost 100 years old and ate lard, crisco icing, nitrate laden everything with extra salt. My father is almost 90 and does the same and he’s one of the healthiest people you’d ever see with a rock solid low cholesterol and can still do more physical labor than people less than a third of his age. It’s more about lifestyle than food intake.

Oh, and go to Popeye’s, they still fry their apple pies. Yum.

• AtlantaCPA says:

Some people are blessed with the ability to eat bad stuff and still have low cholesterol and such. More research is pointing toward an interplay between genes, lifestyle and diet rather than diet and lifestyle alone.

That said, a deep fried apple pie sounds awesome – I may have to try Popeye’s just for that.

• chizu says:

I know this doesn’t help anyone on here — but McD still fries their apple pies oversea. However, I never eat their apple pies, it’s because I’m too busy trying the other stuff. They had a taro, red bean, and a dark orange chocolate filling pie before in HK. Let’s just say they are all amazing.

• ninabi says:

The Haupia Pie McDonalds makes for Hawaii (coconut cream with coconut chunks) was probably one of the unhealthiest, yet cheap and tasty things I’ve ever eaten when I had the chance to travel there.

• milk says:

Mmm…red bean…Now I’m tempted to stop at an Asian supermarket for some red bean ice cream.

• dks64 says:

Both of my Dad’s parents had parents who lived into their 90’s, one to 103. I think genetics play the biggest role. Plus, they worked VERY hard their whole lives and didn’t sit in front of the TV with twinkies. Both of my Grandparents on his side are in their late 80’s. My Grandpa had open heart surgery already and has Type 2 diabetes. My Grandma is losing her hearing and her knees are pretty much shot. Both have high blood pressure. They were raised on farms and both don’t have the greatest diets (although when my Grandpa was able to work in the garden, they ate a lot of fresh veggies). I think genetics are the reason both are almost 90. On my Mom’s side, people die before 60. Everyone had cancer or died from a poor lifestyle (1 was liver failure from drinking, one was heart failure following surgery, cigarette use weakened his heart).

• who? says:

The difference between our grandparents’ generation and our own isn’t about whether or not they ate “bad” stuff, because they did. The difference was more about the frequency. Our grandparents didn’t go out to McDonalds (or the equivalent) several times a week. They cooked for themselves, starting from the raw ingredients, and the mix of what they ate was skewed more towards eating real food instead of Cokes and french fries. A lot of it has to do with how easy it is to get junk now. An example is french fries. French fries are a pain in the butt to make, certainly harder than mashed potatoes. If you had to cook them for yourself, you’d have french fries about twice a year, instead of twice a week. By the same token, if you had to make your own candy, candy would be a treat at Christmastime, not something you ate every day. In 1700, we ate an average of 4 pounds of sugar per year. Now, we eat 1/2 pound of sugar per *day*.

• Draw2much says:

Hm… I think you’re taking an optimistic view of the “grandparent generation”. (Though maybe it depends on how old the grandparents are in question…) My parents were born in the 1950s. My Dad lived primarily on canned and boxed goods. He didn’t know how to properly butter a bread roll until collage because all his family ever ate was pre-sliced white bread.

My Mom’s parents worked all the time so there was never any time to have fresh home cooked meals. (Pizza for breakfast? YES PLEASE.) Apparently the closest they had to a “home cooked meal” came from my Great Grandma. And all she ever made was fried chicken when they came over (which is weird because she was an Italian immigrant and a really excellent cook).

From my perspective, my grandparents generation was not some sort of haven for healthy eating. They were the people who embraced preservative laden boxed and canned goods. They’re the ones that made places like McDonalds popular. They paved the way for how we’re eating now.

• cspschofield says:

The difference between our gandparents’ generation and ours is that 60% of our grandparents smoked.

Put THAT in you statistics.

• RayanneGraff says:

Yeah, and they smoked much purer tobacco than the shit that’s in the cigarettes of today. Big difference. It’s all the additives & chemicals that are in modern cigs that are bad for you, not so much the tobacco itself.

• JJFIII says:

Well if it happened to YOU, it must be for EVERYBODY. Facts, sales for all the items mentioned have gone up. McDonalds stopped using trans fat and look at sales int he corp. Dominos pizza sales and profits have increased. Wendy’s is selling more fries.
      BTW, maybe if your grandparents had eaten healthy they could have added 10-15 years on to their lives.

• Tenacity says:

Oh, I wish you hadn’t told me that…..

5. Lukecadet says:

Steakumms. They used to have 17 grams of fat per flattened steak. Now they only have 11 grams and they taste bad.

• Kuri says:

Taste is definitely a factor if someone eats something.

It’s why most diets fail. You have to force yourself to eat what you don’t like or think tastes bad. People care more about taste than nutrition

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Which is ironic because if you start eating different foods, your body starts to crave those instead.

But it doesn’t work if you eat the same bad foods only less of it, or with carbs replacing fat (or vice versa) etc. If you cut out the sweets and carbs. and start eating fruit and veggies and non-processed foods, your body actually begins to crave those healthy foods. In addition, cutting out all that sugar makes foods TASTE more sweet. The fact you eats high-sugar foods dulls your taste buds to sugar.

That’s why many “diet plans” are preaching that whatever you do, it’s not a diet it’s a lifestyle change. Because if you don’t change what you’re eating, you will just go back to old habits anyway.

• BennieHannah says:

Tastes change with age as well. Although I’ve always craved salty foods over sweet foods, I still liked my candy and baked goods to be very sweet. At around age 30 or so, I found that I absolutely could not eat an entire candy bar and that most cakes and pies were just far too sweet to eat more than a bite. I had to rework all of my family’s recipes to reduce the sugar.

Or I think it’s age? I have noticed that more people are preferring to taste the flavor of ingredients rather than just an overpowering sense of sweetness, and I could never even get my children to eat some of the sweet treats I enjoyed as a child. I’d swear to them that a Little Debbie Star Crunch was AWESOME, and they’d take one bite and look at me like I was crazy.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Around 26 my ability to eat large quantities of food diminished drastically. Now doing so causes a lot of gastrointestinal issues. My own discomfort has gotten me into being more judicial on what I eat and how much.

But my eyes keep telling me to eat more!

• RayanneGraff says:

I’ve had the same experience. I can’t eat the same things I used to. I used to be able to eat snack cakes, donuts, and cake all day long but I can’t even get through a standard piece of birthday cake anymore if the frosting is too rich. I can handle the cake part just fine, but too much frosting just makes me sick.

• milk says:

Habits are funny like that. Once I went a couple months without eating fast food, but after a week or two my desire had already dropped. When I finally did go to McDonald’s for the first time in months, it made me feel…weird. I went back to no fast food.

I did a similar ban on candy, and lately I’ve been replacing sweets with nectarines because they are the best food on earrrrth. Now sometimes I find myself going crazy wishing I had one instead of wishing for candy.

• Kuri says:

I doubt it works the exact same way for everyone.

• Jenny8675309 says:

Steakumms were NEVER tasty!

6. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

“I don’t know what gluten is, but apparently its delicious.” – John Pinette

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Gluten is the stretchy protein in wheat that allows bread to rise, and pizza dough to be chewy.

In very basic terms, anyway.

• George4478 says:

That was a great routine.

I have to avoid wheat? No problem. I don’t plan on helping some farmer bring in the harvest.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

John Pinette / gluten:

7. kathygnome says:

“Trans-fats! Dammit I miss my trans-fats in everything! Life is going to kill you so you at least get to enjoy it!… I now make my own Oreo’s at home…. Crisco and powedered sugar for the white stuff.. yum!”

You mean Crisco, which has no trans fats?

• incident-man stole my avatar says:

truthfully it’s been years since I made some Oreo’s so I have no idea if crisco has trans-fat anymore…

• Willow16 says:

“As of 2010, Crisco consists of a blend of soybean oil, fully hydrogenated cottonseed oil, and partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils. According to the product information label, one 12 g serving of Crisco contains 3 g of saturated fat, 0 g of trans fat, 6 g of polyunsaturated fat, and 2.5 g of monounsaturated fat.[4] It is claimed that this reformulated Crisco has the same cooking properties and flavor as the original version of the product.
      According to the FDA, “Food manufacturers are allowed to list amounts of trans fat with less than 0.5 gram (1/2 g) per serving as 0 (zero) on the Nutrition Facts panel.” ”

I wouldn’t touch Crisco ever because of the soybean oil. Why manufacturers have had to replace almost every oil with soybean oil or soy protein. I have to read labels very carefully to avoid it.

8. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I think the problem is not so much that things might have trans fats in them, but with how much we eat.

I’ve been trying to cut back and eat real serving sizes, not just what I feel like putting on my plate or in my cereal bowl. I’m using measuring cups, and plastic containers that hold 1/2 cup, 1 cup, or whatever, and digital scales. What an eye opening experience.

Take Oreo cookies – they’ve taken the trans fats out of them, and I don’t think they taste as good. But trans fats or not, 2 double stuff Oreo cookies = Calories: 140, Fat: 7g, Carbs: 21g. Not so bad as an occasional treat, but if you eat 6 or 8 of them, not so good.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Me too, portion-wise. Since I acquired a hiatal hernia, the amount of food I eat has had to change. I can’t eat like I did even two or three years ago. If I do, I’m miserable for hours, or can’t sleep due to the reflux or flat-out pain. Yay hernia….I guess.

9. SmokeyBacon says:

ReadyWhip changed their recipe a while back and it is not even close to as good as it used to be. And I haven’t been able to find any other brand that comes close. Even my cat who liked it in the past doesn’t want it now (I used to give him a super tiny bit if I had it and he went crazy – it was the only people food he was ever interested in – now he hears the can noise and comes running all excited, but no, it just isn’t tasty to him any more. And before anyone says anything about it not being good for cats he is and always has been his ideal weight, if not a bit under weight and I didn’t give him a lot, just a very tiny bit and it wasn’t often, and because he is super picky he never really has liked any cat treats, so this was his one tiny treat once in a while). It was such a drastic change that the first time I tried it I actually wrote to them to tell them how disapointed I was.

• milk says:

Ooh, I bet my cats would love whipped cream.The only people food they consistently love are dairy products. Yogurt, milk (makes ‘em barf), ice cream, cheese, and butter. They’re like me in that regard. ;) Their ability to smell these items from another room is truly impressive. I can only occasionally get them to eat turkey or chicken.

• Willow16 says:

The only thing left to do is make your own with heavy or whipping cream.

10. Worstdaysinceyesterday says:

I am not sure on this (and do not feel like looking it up) so please correct me if I am wrong…Aren’t trans fats supposed to help food retain a creamy and/or moist texture while increasing the shelf stability? I thought it took the place of butter, lard, etc to reduce spoilage in transit and while on store shelves or storage.

If so, can we just go all the way back to butter and lard? I would rather pay a little more for a less shelf stable product and I bet it tastes ‘even better’ than we remember trans fat stuff tasting like. At least, it does for the items I make at home…

• MrPersonMan says:

Yes! That is the important part. I don’t care if the food can last 5 years on a shelf. If it can last that long, why would I want to eat it!

• BennieHannah says:

You are correct. I replace butter for shortening is almost every recipe, even my pie crusts. It’s a myth that you need shortening in order to make a great, flaky crust — although I’ll admit that a shortening-based crust is a little easier to work with because it’s not as sensitive to temperature as an all-butter crust.

I have a personal rule that I don’t eat sweets that aren’t homemade (that helps to reduce unhealthy calorie intake substantially!) and once you stop eating commercial sweets, the taste and texture of products that contain shortening/chemicals/etc. quickly becomes unpalatable.

• nugatory says:

homemade candy.

I went that approach but it back fired. Its so easy to whip up a batch of candy, that if I get a craving, in 30 min I’ll have what I want. Same problem with homemade ice cream.

Guess I’ll just have to stick to self restraint (for some reason its not as much fun).

• Not Given says:

I tried to use butter instead of shortening in a pie crust, the thing stuck to the pie pan like concrete. I can only get the shelf stable lard and it tastes funny if you use it for the whole recipe. The best I could do was half lard and half butter.

• Worstdaysinceyesterday says:

We instituted that same rule. SOOOO much better and better for you. I can control the ingredients and know exactly what is going into my bakery. As an aside, I often reduce the sugar by 1/4-1/2 and everything has so far been very tasty.

As for portions we also 1/4 – 1/2 those as well. There are only two of us. A standard recipe is waaaay too much and can be way to tempting as well.

My next step (albeit a long shot) is to walk to the grocery store and not drive.

• Hi_Hello says:

This!! I don’t think the trans fat generations know how thing taste before trans fat.

when i started cooking with butter, cream, and lard. holly crap.

Deep frying chicken wings in bacon fat is awesome.

Of course i bike and exercise and I don’t eat like this everyday.

the only low fat thing I drink is low fat milk. skim, 1-2%. that’s because I like the taste.

• JJFIII says:

What is positive about all that is that nothing you mention has any trans fat. Trans fat is worse than the saturated fats you are ingesting.

• Worstdaysinceyesterday says:

We just made some hash-browns using duck fat. HEAVEN!

• who? says:

When animal fats (butter, lard) were declared evil, trans fats were concocted in a chemistry lab to replace the evil animal fats. Sometime later, scientists realized that any fat that’s solid at room temperature probably isn’t good for you.

• Not Given says:

When animal fats were declared evil it was on the basis of a study using coconut oil that had been partially hydrogenated and fed to rabbits (herbivores.) So don’t feed rabbits anything but grasses and leaves and don’t feed artificial trans fats to anyone. Saturated fat is not really evil and never was.

11. Darth Maubs says:

Remember what pizza used to taste like before they switched all the cheese to part-skim? Like in the early 80’s at Pizza Hut when they’d dish out the pizza at the table and the cheese strings would stretch from that piece back to the pie?

12. madrigal says:

Can you at least spell my username correctly?

13. rslitman says:

Just about every place that serves mashed/whipped potatos these days puts the peels in them. YUCK! UGH! Kudos to Boston Market for still doing it right, at least as of my most recent visit a couple of months ago.

14. Grodoro says:

Interesting. At all the Wendy’s I’ve been to, I’ve had to ask for extra salt. Otherwise, they would give me sodium-free fried potato sticks.

Also, on the Ice cream front, my family has switched to two types of ice cream: Homemade (yum!) and Blue Bunny All-Natural Vanilla. Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Sugar, Skim Milk, Grade A Nonfat Dry Milk, Egg Yolks, Natural Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Beans.

• Draw2much says:

What people don’t realize about fast food places is the quality varies from area to area. It’s all about management and who’s cooking and assembling the food.

Where I live now has really excellent McDonalds. But where I grew up, McDonalds was nasty. My sister still lives in my home town and when she tasted the McDonalds in our area she was amazed at the quality difference.

Wendy’s fries are the same way. The first time I had them, they were cooked and salted correctly; they tasted surprisingly good. However, the Wendy’s in my area just aren’t consistent. I’d say only 1 out of 5 times do they manage to make them right, most of the time they’re nasty. :(

• Grodoro says:

Because of my work, I actually eat at a number of different fast food chains and locations. When Wendy’s switched to their new fries, I was in one location for about a week, and I thought that it was just that franchise being weird. Over the last year, though, I have eaten at over a dozen Wendy’s locations in at least four states, and I have only gotten well-salted fries a couple of times.

15. dks64 says:

I think Wendy’s fries taste even better now. You can always ask for no salt or easy salt.

16. JEDIDIAH says:

The headline of this article is a bit ironic considering that trans fat is nothing more than a side effect of trying to avoid lard.

Make it the old fashioned way. You won’t have to worry about trans fats.

17. axolotl says:

I thought Breyer’s ice cream was all natural ingredients. Is that not true?

• Applekid says:

Carrageenan and guar gum are natural. The former comes from seaweed and the second comes from guar beans.

18. tz says:

It’s not new, but MexiCoke and KosherCoke still taste a lot better than CornyCoke. Still they’re bad for you.

Trans-Fats aren’t bad for you – that is more pseudo-science. Because arteries clog up (usually because excess sugars or fructose) cause sharp-edged HDLs into your bloodstream, they assume if you don’t eat X, X will diminish in your bloodstream. Trans Fats are digested into simpler things and burned or reassembled. Starch turns to sugar and sugar is converted to fat and tells your body to store fat instead of burning fat.

It depends on WHAT THE FOOD IS METABOLIZED INTO and how your body reacts. Insulin tells your body to get fatter, and you get insulin when you eat a lot of glucose. Fructose is metabolized into toxins and fat. Fat is metabolized into fat. But there isn’t a scientifically shown causal connection between eating fat and getting fat (eat fat, your leptin level says you aren’t hungry very quickly so you don’t overeat). There’s lots of science going back centuries about sugars and starches making you fat and there is a metabolic causal chain.

Carbs are bad, fructose is the worst (maybe even worse than ethanol). When they remove fats, what do they replace it with? Starch and sugar. Not sugar, high fructose corn syrup.

But the Corn lobby which puts ethanol into our gas (which doesn’t oxygenate fuel, at least the scientific chemical law says so, but the law congress passed says it does), and puts HFCS into everything is so powerful this toxin won’t be banned. And it is just a sweetener. You could put a bit more glucose instead, or more natural products or other sweeteners.

19. Not Given says:

They should go back to the original recipes using naturally saturated fats, like lard and tallow.

• Applekid says:

The weird part about this is that animals have been bred to have less fat over the past 50 years. So lard and tallow used to be much more plentiful than today. Going back to the original recipes means raising the price to get them at today’s supply constraints.

20. JB Segal says:

In the category of long-time-coming realizations, you mention:
    “Comment threads about Coke, Pepsi, New Coke, and high fructose corn syrup led keepher to a realization decades in the making:

Huh, until I read this about the Coke/Pepsi and the replacement of sugar and the timing I hadn’t realized why I quit drinking it back in the mid 80′s.”

A couple of years ago – ok, 10 now I think – I realized that, as a little kid in the early-mid-70s, I used to love both Fresca and Tab, and then they started tasting bad and I stopped drinking them.

That was, I eventually realized, the change from Cyclamates to Saccharin. Diet soda’s never tasted good since, much to my waist-line’s chagrin.

21. Rhinoguy says:

They changed so many recipes I pretty much gave up buying junk food. Now I make my own. It takes so much time and effort it is many times more rewarding when I do have it, which is rarely because it takes so much time and effort! That’s why junk food comes from factories.
    And I weigh what I am supposed to now.

22. GettingOlder says:

I miss Oreo cookies.

The chocolate cookie portion now has an oily taste – with little clue that it is supposed to be chocolate. The filling is still white, but otherwise tastes nothing like the original.

23. vivisect_six says:

KFC’s Extra Tasty Crispy was the jam back in the day. Ever since they stopped using delicious trans-fats in their cooking process, however, it just hasn’t been the same. I’ve now defected to Popeye’s.

24. shepd says:

There’s a burger king and a McDonald’s beside each other here. I go to the burger king and order pies (which take several minutes for them to get ready) and skip over to McDonald’s for the meal, then come back and get my pies.

BK still fries their apple pies, like they should be!

25. kaleberg says:

One of the problem is that industrial trans fats are associated with the risk of heart disease while ruminant trans fats are not. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21427742) A lot of good old fashioned foods used cheese, butter and cream, and they might have been loaded with fat, but they were only harmful if you ate yourself obese. Then the food processors started using trans fats to replace the animal products, and those are more likely to cause heart problems. Worse, trans fats provide lower satiety – they don’t satisfy the way animal products do – so people actually eat more of them in hope of satisfaction. (Of course, some people just give up early, but not everyone recognizes what is happening.)

If the food processors just went back to animal products, they could provide healthier food and fight obesity since most people would stop eating sooner. Of course, animal products cost more than industrial chemicals, and the food processors want to sell more, not less. Moving from trans fats to an industrial replacement might have a slight benefit for a few people, but most people are just going to eat even more and wind up in worse shape.

• pattymc says:

Thank you for this. This so true. When I was a kid food seemed to fill me up much quicker than it does now. Though it was my magination!

26. RayanneGraff says:

Corn Pops. I’m eating some right now & they just don’t taste the same. I’m not sure what changed, but they used to be lightly sweet, crunchy, and delightful. I haven’t had them in a few years, and they’re almost completely tasteless now >:|

27. pattymc says:

Mass produced chocolate tastes boring to me now. There is no longer any depth to it, just sugar sweet and bland. Agree about Coke and corn ‘sugar’ – I lived on it in college – that and beer – but rarely drink soda anymore. Same thing as with chocolate, no depth, just overpowering sweetness.
    A few weeks ago I bought oatmeal cookies at Giant and it was the same thing. Could not even taste the oatmeal, just the sugar. Can’t wait until a Whole Foods opens up near me next year and I can buy food that has taste.

• webweazel says:

I had heard that candy manufacturers a few years back were replacing cocoa butter in chocolate with some other type of oil because it would be cheaper. (Did not happen to notice the price of candy bars dropping, but I digress.) Since cocoa butter is made from cocoa beans, it had more depth of flavor than plain vegetable oils. This could be the difference you notice.
      Whole Foods, health foods, blahblah. I had bought some type of cookies for babies at the fiber-chunk health food store for my son figuring they would be better for him, and tried one. They were so disgustingly sweet, my mouth puckered. I gave them to the dogs. Just because it’s labeled “health foods” does not necessarily mean they will always be better for you. Try different brands until you find what you prefer, and don’t turn your nose up at store brands either just out of principle. (IF you do) For some items we like the store brands BETTER than the national brands.

28. B says:

McDonalds should have never stopped frying their french fries in beef fat. I miss lard. Bring back lard.