Why Is My Alarm System’s Instructional DVD A Mormon Easter Movie?

Howard’s shiny new home security system came with an instructional DVD. Being one of those weird people who apparently reads the directions for his new purchases, he popped it in the DVD player to check it out. That’s when he found the disc menu for a different kind of edifying film entirely. It was an inspirational film about Easter distributed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

That’s all very well and good, but doesn’t tell him anything about how his new alarm system works.

So the other day I had [redacted] Security install a new Security System in my home, this was the new Honeywell Lynx 5100 system. It included a Honeywell DVD (Using Your Lynx Touch) see attached picture. Much to my surprise when I popped in the DVD I was greeted by a movie called “Easter Dream” presented by the Church of Latter-Day Saints (see other attached screenshot). Flipping the dvd over it does say Easter Dream next to the bar code in the center. This disc came from a brand new sealed Alarm System box.

I called both [the installer] and Honeywell, neither of them had any clue where or how it got in the box. Honeywell did say they would send me a replacement disc. Now I’m just really wondering what happened during production or how Honeywell managed to burn a religious movie on their DVD manual disc and if I found this how many other folks have a DVD with this movie on it.

If we had to guess, this sounds like something that went weirdly wrong at the DVD factory. If it was a pure switch, there are going to be some rather confused Mormon families next spring during family movie time.

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

Did the bears play nicely with the deer in the video or am I thinking of some other religion?

• ChuckECheese says:

In this one, Joseph and Brigham play nicely with their gang of wives. In the sequel, Harold B. Lee teaches young men how to tie their wrists to the bedposts so as not to sin themselves. In the finale, Ezra Taft and Spencer forbade all fun. The series is sorta old and ripe for a re-make.

2. cactus jack says:

What better security than knowing your everlasting soul is protected by the Jesus Christ and his Latter-Day Saints.

3. kiapurity says:

I have had this happen before with Metal Gear Solid 3. I wound up with a Ed McBain movie instead of the game (had a “lolwut” moment) but thankfully, I was able to return it to Best Buy for a store credit to get another copy of the game at a different store (that WAS the last copy of MGS3 from this particular store!)

• cactus jack says:

Some asshole I knew online years ago would do this. Buy a new game, return it “new” after putting another game/movie/CD-Rom inside and reshrink wrap it. Not too hard once you find the stuff you can use with a blow-dryer. Pretty scummy either way.

• kiapurity says:

…I’m pretty sure that it’d have been hard to fake the MGS3 disc label. (Not one of those labels that you can easily print off, but rather physically etched onto it by the manufacturer.)

• thomwithanh says:

I bought a DVD years ago (back when we still bought movies on DVD), came shrink wrapped from a local video store and lo and behold there was a blank CD-R inside. At this particular store, employees are allowed to take sealed movies home for up to one week and watch them (so they can be familiar with what they’re recommending and selling to customers) – after reviewing the CCTV footage, it turned out it was an employee at fault.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

If you buy it, that is not new, it’s used. It’s open box. I hope you either got your money back or a substantial discount.

Also I still buy DVDs because I can’t guarantee my internet will be at speeds allowing me to stream. It goes up and down so much it’s not even funny. And I like being able to watch something whenever I want.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

About 1 in 5 Americans lives in rural areas that don’t have, and perhaps never will have, broadband internet access. Streaming anything is a laughably failtastic proposition for 20% of this country…at a minimum.

4. MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

I agree, this has to be an error with the DVD labeling at the DVD production facility. Now if this was, say, US Plastic, I’d say that it was intentional. I ordered from them once years ago, and after I received my order with an unrequested “bonus” in the package, I decided I’d rather not receive proselytizing tracts along with my orders, thankyouverymuch. >:|

• thomwithanh says:

My first thought was that Honeywell had connections with the LDS Church. As far as I can tell, neither the founder Mark C. Honeywell nor President/CEO David Cote are Mormon.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

…haven’t seen one in a while, but there was a TV commercial I used to see frequently that was a 25-second sing-along about how “we need more of God’s love so we can love one another!” And then at the end it showed the Interstate Batteries logo.

Guess which brand of battery I’m never buying for one of my vehicles again.

5. Mr. Spy says:

What’s amazing is that anybody watched the disc in the first place.

• MaxH42 needs an edit button says:

Apparently Howard is the first. I wonder how many years ago the labeling mix-up occurred.

• Howie411 says:

Hi, this was my post, I did try to watch the video because this security system has a lot of bells and whistles, as for how long ago, it had to be pretty recent since this system was just released 3 months ago.

6. YouDidWhatNow? says:

” It was an inspirational film about Easter distributed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.”

Well…I can think of few things that would inspire me more to put a security system in my house than exposure to religious groups…

7. Press1forDialTone says:

ROFL, that is hysterical well just really funny.

Is it possible that the disk is +-RW and someone thought it would be funny
    or was a stooge for the LDS “church/cult” to re-record the disk (already labelled
    of course) and put it back in the container and pack it with a product.

It might be +-RW for a reason: If Honeywell changes the product to warrant a new
    instructional DVD, they could keep the labelling the same and just record over
    their existing DVD stock.

8. valthun says:

I have seen this happen and is the case that there are only so many mass manufacturers of DVDs, etc. So on occasion the first in a batch may have an image from what went through last.

I have a copy of Kingdom Hearts with 3 episodes of I Love Lucy.

It’s pretty common, but not too big of a deal, just contact the vendor and they should provide a replacement with no problem.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Mmmm…could be a big deal. If this happened in an Islamic country, the distribution of a DVD that proselytized for a religion other than Islam would be a crime punishable by death.

9. Davester says:

No doubt, Tyler Durden has been at work again.

10. Smiling says:

I think the government could help drive costs down for these places if they developed an average cost of attendance formula for loans and only loaned say 25% above whatever the average in the U.S. is. I also think that financial aid should be pulled from or made very limited to colleges that have a graduation rate that is much below average.

11. threehyacinths says:

It happened to me too! We had the installation done today, and I just put on the DVD tonight.
    It’s a Mormon show, and I find this deeply disturbing. Is it really just an accident, or something else? I’ll contact the installer tomorrow.