Woman Says She Can’t Possibly Keep Diamond Ring She Found In Secondhand Pants

We’ve heard of good consumers returning cash they’ve found or not accepting an accidental tax refund, but a diamond ring lands in your pocket and you decide to try to find its owner? Now that is what we call an extremely honest person.

A woman in Minnesota splashed out $3.99 on a pair of capris at Goodwill that were just to her taste, and her taste is “bling,” she told KSPT.com. She found more than just rhinestones in the pocket of the pants.

“I put my hand in the right pocket and I felt something,” she said, after the shopping trip with her daughter. “I opened my hand and we both went, wow!”

She took the ring to a local jewelers, where it was appraised for between $5,000 and $6,500 — but she’s not going to keep it.

“I need to find the owner, and I’d love to hear the story of how it got in there,” she said.

The news station isn’t describing the ring in too great of detail, so that would-be scammers can’t call in and pretend to be the rightful owner.

If you did happen to lose a diamond ring in a pair of capri pants you gave to Goodwill, go to their Facebook page and send a message.

Woman Buys Pants at Goodwill, Finds Treasure in Pocket [KSTP.com]

Comments

1. italianbaby says:

what a wonderful person. i hope the rightful owner give her a sweet tip…

• bluline says:

Perhaps the owner left the ring in the pants deliberately, as a gift to whoever bought the jeans. Wouldn’t surprise me. Since many people who shop at Goodwill (but certainly not all) are down on their luck, finding such a gift would be a godsend.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

My thought was that whomever placed the ring there did it, on purpose, too… but perhaps because they were having a divorce or were already divorced and didn’t want anything more to do with the ring. As a result, (s)he left the ring in a pocket of pants at Goodwill. I know when my mom started her divorce proceedings, she threw her ring into a pond. Maybe the original owner of this ring wanted something more positive to happen than giving the fish some free bling…

2. iesika says:

Yay for good people. I love lost-item-returned stories. They make me remember that people aren’t always assholes.

• longfeltwant says:

Good for her. If she puts in a medium amount of effort to return the ring, and can’t find the person, then she will be right to sell the ring and spend the money on herself. Give the original owner twelve months. After that, call it a windfall.

• Auron says:

Actually, MN law I believe allows the finder to take possession after either 60 or 90 days. So at most she would have to 90 days if the owner is unable to be located.

3. phil says:

Many years ago, my family stayed in a budget motel. My Dad noticed that a table-top lamp switch was loose, so he took it apart to tighten it up (yeah, it seems I’ve inherited this trait of fixing things no matter where they are, or who they belong to).

Inside the lamp fixture we found a ring! Yeah, waaay inside – where it would seem someone would have to put it there on purpose. It wasn’t a fancy ring (no diamonds in this case), but still clearly a piece of jewelry.

Yup, we turned it in at the motel’s front desk. After all these years, I’d love to know the story behind it…

4. Peggee has pearls and will clutch them when cashiers ask "YOU GOT A WIC CHECK MA'AM?" says:

The article says that seven people have already tried to claim the ring. You don’t “mistakenly” claim a ring that turned up in a pocket at Goodwill. People are absolutely disgusting.

• wade says:

Yeah, sometime within the last couple of months, a Goodwill here in St. Louis found $14k in cash in a box of ornaments that were donated. Goodwill was pretty sure that whoever donated the ornaments didn’t really intend to donate the cash, so they let the media know. . .and 15 people came forward as the donor to try to claim the cash.

• Peggee has pearls and will clutch them when cashiers ask "YOU GOT A WIC CHECK MA'AM?" says:

Remember that scene in Annie where fake “Annie’s parents” were mobbing the gate to the mansion and trying to climb over it? “Annie! It’s Mother!”

Granted, that was the Depression and the reward was the equivalent of almost a million dollars today, but the fence-climbing is what I picture every time I see these stories.

I wonder how many people keep things only because they think it’s better to keep it than let some scammer possibly claim it?

• 2 Replies says:

“You don’t “mistakenly” claim a ring that turned up in a pocket at Goodwill.”

Yes you do.

Thousands of people donate to goodwill.
      Many/most of them are women who wear capri pants.
      Many of them have diamond rings. (5k-7k diamond rings are VERY common.)

So there’s a damn good change that FAR more than seven people have lost a ring in the time-frame of owning,wearing and donating a pair of pants.
      Anyone (male or female) who has donated a pair of capri pants to Goodwill, (who’s owner has ever lost a diamond ring while owning those pants) should call in.

Asking if anyone lost a ring in a pair of capri pants won’t find the owner.
      You don’t “lose” a ring SPECIFICALLY in a pant’s pocket. :-/

• who? says:

Years ago, I lived across the street from a park. I found an expensive (piano) keyboard in the park one night when I was walking home from work. I put an ad in the paper saying something like “Keyboard found in Observatory Park.” Several people called to claim it, but besides not knowing what kind of keyboard it was, most of them couldn’t have found Observatory Park on a map.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

That doesn’t surprise me. People can be such scum.

5. coffee100 says:

Hey Consumerist? Is there any way we can un-shittify the comment system here? There were message boards in 1997 with better features.

• tbax929 says:

You think that posting this comment on an article is the way to go about complaining about the comment system?

Perhaps it’s the commenters that need work, not the system.

6. jeb says:

KSTP, not KSPT, Consumerist.

*sigh*

7. Cicadymn says:

inb4 she’s sued by 7 different people claiming she stole the ring.

8. ancientone567 says:

Oh ya it’s my ring! Thanks for finding it! If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. I think this chick is an attention whore. Like you are really going to find the person who put it in that pocket. Oh please like your really that sanity. NOT!

9. RandomHookup says:

Coincidentally, “Secondhand Pants” is the name of my band.

10. paris1886 says:

I once accidentally gave away a very expensive (and old and with sentimental value) watch my husband had stashed in an old sport jacket.

I collected what we were giving away, put it all in a plastic bag, and dumped it in one of those parking lot collection bins.

My husband didn’t realize what had happened until a few days later. The bin had been emptied and the charity that was responsible for it had no idea where it could have ended up. We sent flyers to all their branches and offered a reward…but nothing came of it.

If you hear of anyone who found an old Breitling watch in a sport jacket, let me know!

I did learn to check pockets before giving clothing away…and my husband learned not to hide stuff in odd places without telling me.

11. dush says:

I’d love to see a guy try to claim it was his and then get told it was found in capri pants.

12. Dirk Daring says:

Appraised for 5-6K means it was purchased for roughly 3-4 times that. I’d sell it, whoever bought it has long since filed an insurance claim.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Isn’t it the opposite? It was purchased for less, but appraised for more to collect a larger payout if it ever, Gadget forbid, is lost?

13. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Of course she doesn’t want to keep it. It’s not her size.

14. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Not so unusual. Here’s a diamond ring lost 6 years ago that was found and returned yesterday:

AUBURN, Calif. — Darlene King didn’t think she’d ever see her late husband’s 1961 wedding ring again.
    But on Wednesday a couple showed up at her Auburn home and returned the gold ring her husband lost several years ago.
    Shannon and Steve Callahan of Sacramento found the ring in their car three weeks ago and have been searching for its owner ever since.

15. BennieHannah says:

Great to know that good people are out there. I found a $5 bill in the pocket of thrift store jeans. I didn’t even think about keeping it. It was a charity thrift shop that fed children. I presented it to the cashier when I went to buy the jeans. I don’t really believe in karma, but I like feeling good about myself.

16. Charmander says:

Why would you call that person an extremely honest person? Why not just an honest person?

Makes me wonder what a plain old garden-variety honest person would do in this situation.

17. Blueskylaw says:

“I need to find the owner, and I’d love to hear the story of how it got in there”

Once upon a time, I put a ring in my pants and forgot about it.

The End

18. rookie says:

Dear Consumerist,
    I am ever so grateful for hearing this wonderful story. It totally reminded me that I had left a small wrench in the watch pocket of the jeans I just tossed in the hamper…

19. Kredal says:

Seven people have come forward to claim it? That means there are at least six more rings out there! Quick, buy all the capris from Goodwill! You might get lucky and find a ring!

• Snowblind says:

No, there are 2 more out there, who thought Sauron would hide them in Capri pants? EVIL!

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
      One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
      One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

20. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

What does “extremely honest” mean as opposed to “extremely dishonest”? Is there a scale? Can we be crooks and liars 75% of the time and still be considered “mostly honest?”

• Blueskylaw says:

An extremely honest person doesn’t think twice about keeping something that’s not theirs, an honest person might think twice or more about it before turning the item in. An extremely dishonest persons first thought is to keep an item that’s not theirs, a dishonest person might have thoughts about not keeping an item but they soon vanish.

• crispyduck13 says:

I’m going to need a Rulebook page # citation please, going to sticky note that whole section.

21. crispyduck13 says:

Serious question: if the person who lost this ring had insurance and received a payout for the loss claim, how would they work with “finding” the ring? Would they have to pay back the insurance company? What are the rules for that?

• RandomHookup says:

Insurance companies deal with this all the time. You notify the insurance company and they either take possession of the found item to sell or you repay them and keep the item. Keeping both would be insurance fraud.

22. pinkbunnyslippers says:

A friend of mine did this with her engagement ring when she got divorced. Didn’t want to sell it, didn’t need to donate it for the tax write off – she put it in a jacket pocket and donated the coat to a local Goodwill…said she hoped whomever found it got more joy and happiness out of it than she did.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

While it’s a sweet idea, including a note will prevent the eventual new owner from trying to give it back.

23. nearly_blind says:

Sorry ladies, but real consumer story is that, although its tough to go against decades of tradition, diamonds are a terrible purchase which you should avoid. Let’s see someone try to sell those $5000 appraised diamonds for cash and see how much they will get for them. Those so-called appraisals are for retail replacement value or for what a jeweler will give a credit to buy something else that’s marked up 200%.

24. TD99 says:

Good chance that the owner passed away and it was part of an estate sale?

25. AllanG54 says:

My father owned his own taxi years ago. Also found a diamond ring in in one night. Turned it into the police. No one claimed it and after 3 months it was his. Took it and made a necklace for mom.
    Yes Virginia, there ARE honest people in the world.