Target, ‘Clearance Sale’ Apparently Means 424% Price Hike

Someone at Target has once again brought out the Bizarro Pricing Gun for the clearance sale price on this pack of Windex Electronic Wipes.

The pack, spotted by Consumerist reader Victor, says it was originally priced at $1.00 but is now on sale for the bargain penthouse price of $4.24.

Though as Victor points out, he could trim 5% off that price with his Target redcard.

windexwipes.JPG

After looking at prices for these wipes at other stores, we’re guessing that the label should say that the original price was $4.24 and it’s now on clearance for $1.00.

And sure, that is probably some simple goof on the part of a Target staffer, but if some customer doesn’t see the original “1.00” in small type and assumes they are getting a good deal, they end up paying more than they should have.

And if a shopper like Victor notices the error, it’s likely they won’t go through the hassle of arguing their point with Target, which means the item goes unsold and Target’s clearance sale fails to clear the shelves.

Regardless, it is yet another reminder to always compare “sale” prices to original prices.

Comments

1. hymie! says:

“Was $-1.00″ is much more likely a computer glitch than an original price.

• Eagle Eye says:

Yeah, I’d bet it has something to do with that “$1 Off” coupon attached to the package.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

A(some) key word(s) is(are) missing to accurately answer this question. Increase “by” or increase “of over” 424%. If it were “by” implying mutiply, then 424% is correct. However, according to my brain, I think most people think of increases of prices in terms of percentage over original price. In the latter mentioned case, 324% would be correct.

• Velifer says:

The words “Price Hike” in the title make you wrong on the internet. You must be corrected.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

hmmm, I’m going to have to agree with you in that price hike would indeed imply the increase “over” initial price so that there is indeed no ambiguity and those that said 324% were right all along.

My claim implying ambiguity was wrong.

Thank you for catching my error in multiple locations. :o)

• chiieddy says:

Agreed. It was $1, it was -$1 which indicates they didn’t have the original price in their computer.

2. dorrdon says:

Shouldn’t that be a 324% price hike? (The price increase is $3.24 (4.24-1.00))

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

• Velifer says:

3. CTrees says:

A price increase from $1.00 to $4.24 is a 324% increase.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

• Velifer says:

4. Coffee says:

I blame the OP (Original Price).

5. Velifer says:

Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, Mr. Pot.

6. Blueskylaw says:

Even at minus $1.00, it’s still too expensive. Besides, I can moisten my own wipes.

7. Bagels says:

There’s no laws in this place. Anything goes! It’s Thunderdome!

8. d0x360 says:

4.24 IS NOT the original price. the -$1 thing is a glitch. These things were more like $6 original price.

9. JJJJust says:

Stories like this make me wish Consumerist had a Corrections page so they can see at a glance just how HORRIBLE they are at getting the facts straight even when they’re RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM.

10. VicMatson says:

Come on guy’s they are $4.99 at drugstore.com, and the dollar mentioned is the coupon on the pic.

11. naenae78 says:

The before price actually shows $-1.00. I’ve seen these in Target, regular price, and they are not $1.00. This is just an error on the original price…although the clearance price isn’t that much lower than the original.

12. xmrblondex says:

The original price is 4.99 and that is the clearance price at 15% off. That’s the % that they would start something of that category on.

• larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

Livin’ up to that blond stereotype. /math is hard!

13. donssword says:

Not news. Not worthy of he Consumerist.

As long as people are involved, and the robot overlords haven’t taken over, mistakes like this will happen.

14. raybury says:

A quick Google search for “Windex Electronic Wipes” finds $4.99 as a common price. $4.99 less Target’s typically anemic initial clearance discount of 15% is indeed $4.24.

The negative one (-1) value, displayed as $-1.00, is clearly a flag for missing data. (Zero or any positive number would potentially cause a problem. Meanwhile I doubt any state has a pricing mistake law that would require a store to PAY YOU to buy something.)

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Clearly…

Actually, you are right…they would have paid you a $1 to take them, but now they want you to buy them $4.24. When did we associate clearance with sale price. Clearance doesn’t equate to the price being cheaper. Just Target telling you they want them the hell out of the store.

15. RogerX says:

$4.24 is 15% off $4.99. Somebody mis-keyed the original price. Case closed.

16. Jacob says:

Did you know that a typical Target clearance label prints the percentage off the original price in very small print in the upper right corner? In case you don’t want to do the math yourself, you can check out this number to see what kind of discount you are getting. Sometimes Target will have a shelf with a big sign saying “15% clearance” but have items on the shelf that are 30% or even 50% off.

17. Peter V says:

I saw those at my Target’s Clearance section a few weeks ago… I remember the price: Was $4.24 Now $1.00. Glitch, Much?