Utah Woman Finds Free Prize In Her Tampons — Cocaine

When you buy a laptop for a couple bucks at a salvage and recovery store, you take a chance it might not be good as new. But if you’re buying a box of tampons from the same outlet, you might ask “what could possibly be wrong?” Well… lots.

A woman in Salt Lake City says she purchased a box of tampons at one such store over the weekend, she found a powdery substance packed inside some of the applicators.

“It was real powdery and it was in the thicker cellophane,” she tells KSL-TV. “They had taped it really good in the middle and I spent about 5 minutes trying to open it and never did get it open.”

She called the police, who called the HazMat folks to determine if this was talcum powder, narcotics, or something worse. In the end it was plain old cocaine.

“It appears to be a highly sophisticated way of attempting to smuggle or get drugs though to some place or another,” a police detective tells KSL.

Woman buys tampons stuffed with cocaine at local store [KSL.com]

Thanks to Anthony for the tip!

Comments

1. axhandler1 says:

“The store has since stopped selling that particular brand of tampons while police investigate.”

“All unsold boxes of that brand were collected by the assistant night manager and taken home for safety reasons. He hasn’t been back to work since.”

2. dolemite says:

Oh great, first it was the tampons soaked in vodka, now cocaine. This is getting to be an expensive hobby.

3. MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

Pull the string, and win a prize!

4. oldwiz65 says:

And I’m picturing addicts mobbing the stores in Salt Lake City and buying tampons hoping for cocaine. Or the cops keeping an eye on the store and arresting any males buying tampons.

• caradrake says:

Hey, it’s already hard enough asking husbands (boyfriends, friends, coworkers…) to buy tampons. I think if one of them got arrested, or even questioned, it would become impossible. :(

• Coyote says:

I once heard a story about an EMT who went out to buy tampons for his GF witnessing a serious car crash and providing first aid. By the time help arrived, he looked like he had murdered someone with a spork.

He walks into the drugstore and shouts “I really need a box of tampons.. RIGHT NOW!”

5. AllanG54 says:

I’ll bet this was another dumb attempt by the same clowns that hid that coke in the minivan that you posted about a few months back.

6. Cicadymn says:

Well that’s not winning the lottery…

But it’s certainly the next best thing.

7. Cat says:

Cat knows where he’s going shopping this weekend… The NPS Store at 1600 S. Empire Road in Salt Lake City!

8. Cat says:

Wait.., I thought all the women in Utah were already numb “down there”.

9. travel_nut says:

My mom swears that, years ago, she bought some strawberries that gave her hallucinations.

I want to know where I can get these free drugs other people keep getting.

• dadelus says:

Could have been a naturally occuring fungi on the strawberries. Something along the lines of Ergot although that is usually seen on grains. Good argument for (or perhaps against) washing your produce before consuming it.

10. AstroWorn2010 says:

I wonder if this salvage and recovery store will soon recieve a shipment of urine soaked Mackbooks?

11. Kentankerous says:

I keep thinking of Mr. Carlson from WKRP and his cocaine foot powder.

12. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Pardon me for asking, but who buys tampons or anything else you’re going to jam into one of your orifices at a “salvage and recovery” store?

I guess on the next trip there, she needs to see if they have any salvaged knives, or maybe razor blades.

13. JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

Eric Clapton: “When your Aunt Flo’s in town, and you want a ride down, COCAINE”

14. dush says:

What would have happened to her if she’d just gone ahead and used it?

• dush says:

Used the tampon I mean.

• Firethorn says:

She’d probably have gotten pretty hyper/wired. The area down there absorbs stuff pretty well, much like how you can get drunk putting alcohol up your butt.

Of course, cocaine also has tendencies to kill pain when applied topically, so she wouldn’t have felt anything down there after a while until it wore off.

• bigTrue says:

I’m going to assume you haven’t done cocaine. She’d probably get numb and once it hit her bloodstream twitchy and happy. At least, if it’s anything like my nose…

15. Jack T Ripper says:

Around here we just call this sort of thing ‘Thursday’. Cocaine in your tampons, salmonella in your salad, mice in your Pepsi… I just wait to find the guy trying to transport hundred dollar bills in Lucky Charms boxes. Well, I don’t really want to find him, but I’m looking forward to someday intercepting one of his transporting attempts. (sigh) One can always dream.

16. JJFIII says:

If the woman is lucky her husband is a cocaine addict and will want to spend the night trying to get as much as possible. I call that a win win.

• Coyote says:

…and unfortunately she wouldn’t feel a thing considering the anesthetic properies.

17. Chasing Headless Chickens says:

So, does this mean there is a drug deal going down somewhere with a box of real tampons? I’d like to see that gun battle.

18. gman863 says:

Kinda redefines Al Pacino’s famous line, “Say hello to my LITTLE FRIEND!!!”

19. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Why would you buy tampons at a store that sells unclaimed property? Unclaimed from where? The baggage carrousel at the airport?

• CubeRat says:

True story. I know a truck driver that had a delivery of Fuji apples (grown in Washington) for a grocery chain in the Midwest. This was just after the Fukishima nuclear meltdown and the grocery chain refused them because they were Fuji apples – which meant they had to be from Japan and were therefore radioactive. The full truckload was sold to a recovery business for 10 cents on the dollar. The new company was supprised at the condition of the apples, expecting that maybe they were bounced around in transit. When they asked the driver, he decided not to deal with anymore stupidity that day and just told them the original buyer didn’t want Fuji apples.

Many times, when containers are late, or in accidents, or not claimed by the original buyer, the whole thing is sold at auction. It doesn’t mean the goods are of poor quality, just that they need to be sold, quickly.

20. feetmonkey says:

First bread mold, now this? Yet another point for the Diva Cup. . .

21. pythonspam says:

“Meanwhile, we imagine some people around the Salt Lake City area are cracking open boxes at their local drug stores hoping to luck into some free fun.”

Cue the music — “I’ve got a white powder ticket” Duh-nuh-nuh-nuh Nuh-nuh Nah

22. AdviceDog says:

What’s the term for this practice of “ingesting” drugs vaginally?

‘Free-cooting’?