Canceling Super 8 Reservation Somehow Leads To More Reserved Rooms

super8motel-thumb-153xauto-38990

(psd)

Reserve on the Web, cancel on the Web. Wouldn’t that make sense? Mike thought so, and he didn’t see anything indicating otherwise when he made his Super 8 reservation. But somehow, his reservation for one night turned into a two-night reservation after he canceled it because he was supposed to call the motel directly to cancel. Who knew that canceling a reservation could have the opposite effect?

I booked a room at this Super 8 on a Monday for the upcoming Thursday night. I ended up not needing the room so I cancelled on Wednesday which, per their website and the confirmation email I received, would result in no charge as I cancelled before the 4:00PM Thursday deadline.

Friday morning my AMEX showed two charges for $80. I contacted the hotel and they said the reservation system automatically applied those charges and they asked me to call the 800 number for Super 8. The lady at the 800 number said their system does not issue charges and the billing system for the hotel is completely separate from theirs – and that it can only be the hotel that made the charges.

Now the hotel changed the story and is trying to say that it’s because I cancelled through Super8.com and they never received the cancellation and that I should of called the hotel. Nowhere in the confirmation email I received does it say I need to call the hotel in addition to cancelling through the website (and if is the case – then why charge me for 2 nights for a one night reservation?) Moreover, the 800 number lady says they have a complete record of my cancellation and even called the hotel on my behalf to try and resolve this – the hotel will still not refund my money.

I’ve opened a “case” with the customer service department at Super 8. This was on Friday afternoon. She said I would receive a call within 24-48 hours. Still no call. If no resolution by tomorrow, I will be issuing a charge back through AMEX. I will not be staying at any Super 8 in the future.

Here’s some executive customer service info for Super 8 from two years ago – calling these numbers might still get you an actual human.

Comments

1. mdoneil says:

So it seems this will be resolved in a few days and you took the proper steps. I am unclear why this is such a big issue.

N.B. Should have not should of.

• Blueskylaw says:

They collect interest on your double charge while you frustrate yourself to no end trying to get them to reverse the charge. This is unofficial corporate policy across many industries especially new car dealers. How much money do you think they make if they do this to a million people each year and hold that money in a money market fund while they jerk you around for a few weeks?

2. Cat says:

Related question: Does someone @ Consumerist regularly update customer service numbers and contact info for these companies?

Also, chargeback. As long as you can provide AMEX with documentation, you should be good.

3. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

“I will not be staying at any Super 8 in the future.”

Sigh.

Sounds like the OP only had a problem with that particular hotel, and that the corporate office has been very helpful to him, backing up his story and trying to get the idiot owner/manager of that location to do the right thing. So why is he boycotting the whole chain instead of just posting a one-star review of this particular hotel on every travel and entertainment site he can?

#badconsumer

• Trireme32 says:

Precisely. Just from reading the chain of events, this hotel is obviously a franchise hotel (I’m not even sure if Wyndham, who owns Super 8, has any corporate-owned hotels anymore…).

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

I don’t think he deserves the #badconsumer, but he should remember that companies want to help customers not former customers, he should’ve made it clear to corporate he’s liked the chain up until this point & will probably use them again but will entertain other options due to this fiasco. Doing increases the chance of speedy resolution & possible free stuff.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

It seems like corporate did everything they could, but the local owner/manager wasn’t cooperating, and we don’t know how much influence (if any) corporate has over individual franchisees. To me, punishing the company after they tried to help as best they could is like undertipping or stiffing a waiter just because the food was bad when they did a fantastic job and got items taken off your bill. Sure, it’s frustrating, but there is really one source of the trouble. The OP could just as easily get an idiot owner/manager at the HoJo’s they pick next time, too.

But it’s not even so much that as the fact that this location is operating unethically, and the only action the OP mentions is boycotting the chain, apparently instead of warning people about the shady/criminal practice he experienced at this location. That’s my real reason for the #badconsumer label. When I have an issue that goes beyond satisfaction or judgement calls and borders on criminal behavior, I post a detailed account on every review board I can find.

• ahecht says:

Corporate has been helpful to them, but the fact that corporate obviously has very loose control over their franchises is a perfectly valid reason to avoid the chain in the future.

4. taaurrus says:

CHARGE BACK!

• NotEd says:

Well, the OP already said they were going to do that.
      Or are you just agreeing with that course of action?

5. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggggggggggeeeeeeeebaccccckkkkkkk!

• NotEd says:

Well, the OP already said they were going to do that.
      Or are you just agreeing with that course of action?
      Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

6. AllanG54 says:

My wife had something worse than this happen a few years back. She made a reservation by phone with a motel and then canceled it a few days later. She neglected to get a confirmation number or the name of the person she spoke with and her card was charged. She called the motel and spoke with the manager who said they would investigate. After about four more calls she “accidentally” got the gal she spoke with originally when cancelling who said she remembered the call, forgot to put it in the system and said nothing when the manager asked if anyone had actually gotten a call. After that the charge was reversed.