Does Netflix Even Have Any Playable DVDs?

Reader Somedaysomehow is annoyed with Netflix. She’s been a loyal customer on the one DVD at a time plan, but lately most of those DVDs have been unplayable. What’s the point of continuing to pay for movies in the mail? All complaining to Netflix gets her are bonus DVDs from her queue….which are unplayable, too.

I’ve been a Netflix customer several years now. I even stuck with them through all the recent drama, and when my membership cost more than doubled. I decided to keep the DVD option, because there are so many movies I still want to see that they just don’t have available on streaming. I keep streaming, despite its poor selection, because I have a one-dvd-at-a-time plan, so there’s some downtime between discs.

My problem is this: Ever since the DVD/streaming split, the disc quality is AWFUL. The last movie I got from them was damaged past the point of being able to finish the disc not once, not twice, not three times, but FOUR TIMES. The fifth disc finally played well enough to get through the movie with only minimal skipping and sound problems. Every time I called with a damaged disc, they would send me out an extra one from my queue to try to make up for the inconvenience. Guess what? 3 of those were damaged, too! I just tried to watch the third one, and the last hour of the movie is completely unwatchable.

I don’t know what to do at this point. I appreciate them offering me an extra DVD every time this happens, but I can’t spend my time trying over and over again to get a working DVD I can actually watch. What am I paying them for?

The very important service of mailing non-functional DVDs to your home? Someone has to keep the U.S. Postal Service alive.

Comments

1. MonkeyMonk says:

It’s definitely true that Netflix has been letting the quality of their by-mail DVD service deteriorate lately. DVDs have been slow to show on the site (or not at all) and it appears that they’re replacing worn or defective DVDs at a much slower rate.

On a related note: What’s up with Downtown Abbey Season 2 not showing up on DVD or streaming at Netflix? It’s been available on DVD at Amazon.com for two months now — certainly enough time for any release window to expire or for Netflix to stock up on this DVD.

Back in the day Netflix would have been ALL OVER this release. It’s sad.

• BlkSwanPres says:

Its not legally streaming anywhere yet.

• MonkeyMonk says:

Not true. Amazon is streaming Season 2 right now at a price of $1.99 for SD and $2.99 for HD.

Regardless, I’m interested in getting the Season 2 DVDs by mail through Netflix and they don’t currently offer it. I’m not sure what the hold-up is as they’ve been available for purchase through Amazon for over two months now.

• MeowMaximus says:

*cough* Torrents *cough*

• larissa_j says:

Even trying to RENT it from Netflix is laughable. It has the LONG WAIT slapped on it and if you want to get it at all, you have to rent the DVDs out of order and then ‘rip’ them to a drive and hold them until you have them all to watch in sequence (which is illegal but what can you do?)

• Willow16 says:

I just checked for season 2 the other day and couldn’t believe that they don’t have it. While I did watch it when it was on TV, I missed a few episodes (don’t know what happened with Patrick) and want to watch them.

2. kewpie says:

I have to wonder if the problem with the OP’s dvd player. We have the three-at-a-time package, so a lot of movies go in and out of our house and it’s been at least a couple of years since we’ve had a disk that wouldn’t play properly.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Same here. We’ve had Netflix for around 10 years and have only had a handful of bad discs, and none within the past year.

While it’s definitely possible that a specific distribution center is having issues, it seems just as likely to that it’s the result of a finicky DVD player, or an especially rough postal facility.

• ronbo97 says:

Agree that it could be the OP’s local distribution center. I’ve also been using Netflix one-at-a-time for a number of years with just a couple of defective discs. When I called customer service, they sent out a replacement (not a different title from my queue) and I had it within 48 hrs. I would initially try to clean the disc before placing the call, as the previous user may have been eating Cheesy Puffs when the disc was removed from their player.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

this is what i was thinking. i have a ps2 that won’t play movie discs anymore. if the OP has another way to play the DVD, on different equipment or at a friend’s house, that might help determine if it is the disc or the player.
      but i also got a movie recently that didn’t work at all, went green and pixellated – on my DVD player, laptop and desktop, and the replacement of the same movie [sent while i still had the original so i know they weren't the same disc] had the exact same issue.

• falnfenix says:

agreed. have only had one damaged disc in 3 years of membership…

• Charmander says:

I thought there might be a problem with the DVD player, too. I’ve only gotten one bad disc from Netflix in the several years we’ve been with them.

The fact that every single one of the last few discs she’s been receiving is bad makes me think it’s her DVD player.

• steve says:

I frequently had issues with DVDs playing until I upgraded from a no-name DVD player to a Sony Blu-Ray a couple years ago. It’s just as likely what’s degrading is the DVD player as anything on Netflix’s end.

3. TonyK says:

More and more of the DVDs from Netflix are badly scratched. Had one that initially refused to play but some TLC and it did play. But as a customer I should not have to do TLC on their DVDs.

It really is getting to a point where we may cancel Netflix altogether.

• zandar says:

Makes me wonder if this is their latest strategy to get the buying public to give up the ghost of DVDs by mail. We wouldn’t them pull off the Qwikster thing, but if the quality of the collection is simply allowed to reduce to shit, who would blame them for pulling the plug?

But it might have the unintended side effect of what you’re saying- giving up on Netflix altogether. Sometimes it really feels like the good years are over and there’s no turning back.

• Willow16 says:

If the quality was allowed to decrease, I would just cancel Netflix altogether. I don’t find enough movies on streaming that I want to see.

• Emerson7 says:

I too have noticed an increase in cracked and unplayable discs and have had a cracked disc sent to replace a cracked disc (The Specials – Too Much Too Young). I assume they only look at discs if they’re marked by the customer as damaged. An extra disc each time would be a nice gesture. I don’t expect every disk to be examined upon return. Crap, it’s less than $10 a month and I get at least 2 a week delivered to my work. I don’t have to drive anywhere and I used to for insane distances. My position to complain is pretty slim.

4. cmdr.sass says:

Do you have an older DVD player? I did, and it had a hard time reading your typical scratched Netflix disc. I would say at least half wouldn’t play all the way through without a problem. I upgraded to a new DVD player with better error correction and have had no problems since then.

5. IGetsAnOpinion says:

Try them on a different DVD player. If you are having that many problems, it might be your DVD player that has the problem. I had this problem, and splurged on a new player. No problems after that.

6. ianmac47 says:

This could also be the result of a DVD player having gotten dirty.

7. GMFish says:

The worst are those double sided discs. And it always seems that it’s the 16:9 side that’s screwed up.

8. Power Imbalance says:

I’ve been a member since it started and have only ever gotten two disks that were unplayable/broken. Maybe the OP’s DVD player is ‘broken’.

9. dulcinea47 says:

In all the years (five?) that I’ve had Netflix I’ve only ever had one disc that wouldn’t play at all. Yeah, their discs don’t tend to be in great condition all the time (I’ve had other minor problems), but if you’re having that many problems maybe you should check your DVD player.

10. babyruthless says:

I tried watching “Hugo” last night, and with about 30 minutes left to go (or possibly less), the DVD gave out. We’ve sent it back to Netflix, but it’s such a pain that it got so close to finishing the movie and then failed.

• dulcinea47 says:

Did you try cleaning it before giving up? Just curious, I know it’s not really the customer’s responsibility to clean the discs but a lot of times this solves the problem.

• longfeltwant says:

I have had success wiping a disc to get it to play better.

Remember, always rub with a clean soft cotton rag radially from the center to the outer edge (or, I suppose, edge to center). Do not wipe circularly around the disc because that can exacerbate problematic scratches.

• babyruthless says:

We tried cleaning it, but to no avail. We also rebooted the computer we were watching it on, and tried another computer.

11. Goatweed says:

I haven’t noticed a decrease in the speed with which they come in the mail, but I have noticed that the discs seem to have more and more of a used look to them – especially when it comes to scratches. Running them under got water usually does the trick but I’ve only had limited experience with having to report a disc as unplayable.

12. Thresher says:

I ran into a period of time where it looked like the DVDs had been played on a belt sander. I’ve pretty much given up on Netflix. The DVD option has gotten expensive and the quality of the disks has been bad about a quarter of the time. Their streaming selection is mostly B movies and crap from TV that I didn’t watch when it was new.

13. longfeltwant says:

I have a similar problem, except that I’ve determined that the real problem is my slowly declining DVD player in my MacBook. When I use a cheap generic USB plug-in external CD player, suddenly my NetFlix discs work no problem. I blame the low quality of the Mac DVD drives (this is the second drive in that laptop). I too called Netflix to complain and was sent a free disc, but eventually I decided to stop trying with my MacBook.

But, in my time I have received some discs that were definitely scratched, so perhaps this woman is having a different problem than I.

Good luck to her.

• Gregory says:

I had a similar problem with my mac’s superdrive. At first I thought it was a DVD I was trying to watch but then it wouldn’t burn CDs either. Some online research recommended cleaning with compressed air which brought the defunct drive back to life.

14. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

The local office probably has grit in the sorting machine embedded well enough to chew through their paper envelopes. I once got a disk from them where the envelope was full of spiders. looks like their nest just hatched.

15. baconsnake says:

This is exactly why I stopped DVD service from Netflix. And since the streaming service has not been enhanced, I just stopped streaming as well. I just don’t see the value any longer.

16. Doubting thomas says:

I have had a 3 at a time disc membership for years. I get a bad disc once or twice a year and netflix has always sent a good replacement quickly.

17. dolemite says:

I think I’ve gotten 1 unplayable disk in like 5 years.

18. bugpaste says:

About a year and a half ago I went through a span of 2-3 months where more than half the DVDs I got from Netflix were unplayable. I got a bunch of bonus discs, hurray I guess. I also talked my way into 10% off one month and a full refund of the second month.

But more importantly, I got Netflix to open an inquiry. They ultimately blamed it on my local post office. Which was probably the case, because as soon as I moved to a different part of town, the problem went away completely.

19. Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

If you want to see some really scratched and yucky dirty disks, try RedBox. The Netflix disks look brand new after that.

20. Brontide says:

It started happening 1.5-2 years ago for us. The number of disks/month that were partially or completely unwatchable kept going up as well as the number of title that dropped to “saved” and never came back. They had been seriously neglecting their DVD collection and back catalog long before the official push to move people to streaming. Were it not for the kids programming we would have dropped them completely.

21. jpdanzig says:

I borrow a lot of discs from my local public library, and many of them look as if previous borrowers played hockey with them. I have managed to restore many of these DVDs to playability using a motorized Skip Doctor device. I find this gizmo a pretty useful item to have on hand and suggest that the OP consider investing $20-30 in one of these. If it brings back to life just one or two damaged DVDs or CDs in the OP’s own collection, it will pay for itself right there…

• TonyK says:

To me, this is a really bad idea for discs that are rented. And personally my private discs are in pristine condition.

• Anne Noise says:

I worked at Blockbuster for close to five years, and we had a Skip Doctor that we never, ever used because it had a habit of ripping up discs even worse.

• eviljamison says:

When I was a video store manager, if you Disc-Doctored one of my discs we’d make you buy it. Almost always the Disc Doctor does more damage than good, not sure if it’s poor design or improper use. If a disc didn’t work bring it back and get another.

Can I borrow your car? I don’t like the color so I’m going to have it re-painted florescent green. Hope you don’t mind…

If something isn’t yours don’t mess with it…

22. TonyK says:

We’ve received at least 2 broken and one so badly scratched it would not play. We’ve also received some so “sticky” they had to be washed before I would even put them in the player.

The last 2 DVDs received were very badly scratched but still playable. It is obvious Netflix is reducing the turn-over rate of their DVDs probably to increase profits.

23. libwitch says:

Its been my understanding – and perhaps I am wrong – that Netflix doesn’t buy replacement dvds when old ones die, so it is very possible you just had a run of bad luck with them.

24. deadandy says:

I had this problem with Netflix back when I had a Sony DVD player. It was wonderful with my own DVDs, but it was extremely temperamental with any scratched discs. I looked at reviews for a few days and ended up getting a cheap Phillips player that several people said would play a piece of toast. No problems since. Of course, I jumped ship when Netflix pulled their recent shenanigans.

25. DonnieZ says:

Get a new DVD player.

It is possible, but it’s highly unlikely that the OP would receive a string of discs that bad. Whether it’s brand new or from 1999, it’s something with the OP’s DVD player.

I’ve received some pretty crappy looking discs from Netflix and Redbox and I’ve never had an issue finishing a movie, either on my 6 year old Toshiba, my various PCs, or my 2 PS3s.

26. Rod Rescueman says:

For a time (about 4 months ago) I noticed the same thing, but another thing I noticed were the amount of titles that were becoming “Unavailable”. Recently though (after the announcement that they weren’t breaking up the DVD and streaming services) many titles are suddenly becoming “Available” again. I have a feeling since they were phasing out the DVD service, they were replacing fewer discs, buying new titles, etc. However since they have reversed course they’re purchasing more. Blockbuster on the other hand was TERRIBLE (I’ve received a few broken discs that looked EXACTLY like the above graphic.) Between that and a queue of 300 discs that were all “Unavailable” I dropped them like and old shoe.

27. DoktorH says:

I received 3 cracked discs in a row from Netflix as well. all completely unplayable. Since it isn’t costing me any extra money, and netflix will send me a fresh disc if it happens, I don’t worry about it.

I’d had the same problem a couple years ago, and also received some mangled partial envelopes with no discs, and called Netflix about it – they said it was probably some mail-sorting machine at the post office causing problems.

28. ferd says:

I’m surely not seeing this problem. Wonder if it’s your post office?

29. Gravitational Eddy says:

Yeah, it kinda looks like OP’s DVD player has reached the end of it’s useful life. Can’t say as I blame her for looking at the DVD’s and blaming them, altough I would try to sub out a new DVD player (or just a different one)
    Hey OP, didja try somebody else’s DVD player before deciding it wasn’t anything to do with -your- DVD player?
    Be truthful, I’m waiting to see your reply..
    I’d like to remind you that those DVD’s can take a lot of punishment before they stop playing. The DVD player hoever, will not. Mechanical tolerances being what they are, a small change in alignment will put the skids on even the newest and best home DVD player. It’ll never work right again.
    Go check out a low cost player from Walmart, (I’ve seen them for $30) and if it works right (and the DVD’s are watchable) then you’ve isolated the problem. If not, you can return it to the Walmart and get the money back.

30. JGKojak says:

I am guessing they have an old/cheap/unreliable DVD player. Next time that happens they should bring the disc to a friend’s or pop it in the computer drive to see how it does.

31. patrick bateman says:

I had 3 blu ray discs in a row (different titles) that were either completely unplayable (wouldn’t even load) on my PS3, or loaded but froze/skipped. Lame.

• amuro98 says:

I would blame this more on the fubar “never finalized” mess that is Blu-Ray.

Some discs are so messed up due to bad or buggy menu code that they’re practically unplayable. I’m reminded of the Iron Man blu-ray that REQUIRES you download trivia questions from an online server for an extra feature BEFORE the main menu would load. Problem is when the disc first shipped someone forgot to make sure this serve was online. Result: 1000s of people complaining their blu-ray wouldn’t load.

32. Vandon says:

Ive had netflix 2 at a time for a few years and I’ve only gotten 2 broken disks that they sent out replacements for. I have gotten lots of scratched disks. I mean disks that look like the previous customers played street hockey with.
    However, I invested $4.99 on a dvd-dr at Fry’s a while back and usually one trip through it renders the disks playable again. I’ve only gotten 2 or 3 disks that required more than one “cleaning” to make them playable.

33. larissa_j says:

I have two drives in my desktop computer and one drive will fail more often than the other with slightly scratched disks it happens to be the older drive.

Also, DVD drives that should be replaced tend to fail on reading so take note.

Also, it’s amazing what wiping/cleaning the DVD will do for you before putting it the drive. I’ve had DVD’s arrive that are just filthy.

34. dullard says:

Two things:

The speed of light does not slow down because a laser gets weaker. The beam may be less intense, but its light still travels at the same speed.

Washing a DVD with water may remove foreign substances, but it won’t repair scratches.

35. Corinthos says:

Think its the dvd player. Even if its new doesn’t mean something is not wrong with it. I have 2 dvd players that are fickle with the disc that they play. Then I put it in xbox and it plays just fine. I only had a problem with a disc once from netflix and that was Better Luck Tomorrow. Of course it just happened to be last 20 minutes of the movie.

36. Traveller says:

Has the OP tried playing the disk in another player? When a DVD player gets dust or debris in or around the optical pickup it starts to act this way even with pretty clean disks.

Unfortunately it is pretty tough to do anything about, so a new DVD player might be in order. The OP should test these “defective” disks on another unit or device (like a laptop) first.

I also had a DVD player that was just overly picky about what it would play.

37. adent1066 says:

Physical media sucks. I used to get DVDs from my local library and some of them look like people filed them down with sandpaper before playing Frisbee with them.

• adent1066 says:

….and why is it always, the last few minutes of the movie that it craps out. UGH !!!

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Most likely because a DVD switches to the second layer at about 70 minutes. Most movies are 90 minutes in length. After switching to the second layer, the lens is actually looking ‘through’ the out-of-focus first layer, and the glue to see the second layer. If this screws up, you lose the last 20 or so minutes of your movie.

38. FLConsumer says:

I think this varies widely by area and is most attributable to the postal service. I’ve only received 2 cracked discs in the 3+ years I’ve had Netflix.

I have noticed that mass-market crap DVDs (Twilight anyone?) are usually more scratched up than foreign or art film DVDs.

I’d also suggest that the OP’s DVD player’s laser might be starting to age. I’ve seen this problem in several DVD players over the years. Manufacturer uses a cheap laser diode, overdrives it/ fails to properly cool the diode, eventually it starts to dim from this.

39. edrebber says:

USPS employees hate Netflix. I suspect that your mailman is damaging the discs so you will cancel the service.

40. cryptique says:

I’m probably jinxing myself by saying this, but my Netflix service seems exactly the same now as it was all along — quick shipping, discs are fine, etc. We’re disc-only customers, and we turn them around pretty fast.

In all the years I’ve been a Netflix subscriber, I think I’ve received two unplayable discs — but none for at least two or three years. Maybe my nearest Netflix distribution center is just more on-the-ball than others.

41. Kahlidan says:

If the disc is scratched or damaged to the point of being unplayable, just break it into 2 pieces and send it back after reporting it as damaged. There’s no other surefire way of forcing them to replace it than making it completely useless.

42. kella says:

I had a run of bad discs a while before the streaming split. You’re probably just having bad luck.

43. Outrun1986 says:

From my experience with the local library since they rent DVD’s for free:

The XBox 360 Slim plays a scratched DVD very well, so does the phat PS2, or at least mine does, but the Xbox 360 slim seems to do a better job. Can’t comment on the regular non slim Xbox 360 as I don’t have one. The Slim PS2 doesn’t play scratched dvd’s worth crap, it will just spit back an error saying the disc is unreadable, but it works fine with all the games I put in it.

44. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I have a cheapo Magnavox DVD player (about $25) and it’s 6 years old. I rarely have a problem with a Netflix disc, and when I do, I spray it with Windex and give it a good cleaning. That usually solves the problem.

45. AttackCat says:

Back when we got discs from Netflix, we had a similar problem. We kept getting a disc that wouldn’t play. I sent it back at least 3 times. Finally I got out a Sharpie and made a small, barely-visible mark on the disc. And then I realized, after seeing that mark show up again, they were just sending me the same disc after I sent it back. Ugh.

46. Bodger says:

I have seen one actual broken DVD and one other out of 200+ Netflix DVDs that was even marginally unplayable (and that was only on one DVD drive on one computer — it worked elsewhere). While a horrible run of bad luck is certainly possible under the rules of chance I really suspect that the poster’s equipment is at fault. Occam’s Razor and all that…

47. bigkoiguy says:

I had this trouble with a single disc in the Dexter series. Same disc, same problem over and over. The disc was not damaged — but obviously a problem from the manufacturer. I finally gave up and read the summary of the episodes online!

48. Ayla says:

I have the same problem. Unplayable DVDs are SUPER common, I’m always having to report them. It’s frustrating. Recently we’ve had some problems with their streaming videos but they correct them quickly, like within a day or so.

49. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

I just checked the ‘Netflix Top 100′ and FIVE (5) are streamable.

They can pry my DVD subscription from my cold dead hands.

50. HogwartsProfessor says:

I’ve only gotten one broken disc from Netflix and had no problems with the others (so far). There is MORE than enough content to stream, and I feel like I’ll never get caught up.

But I do wish they wouldn’t add only part of a series. I got up to the 1700s part of Dark Shadows and ran out of streaming episodes. I called them up and begged LOL. BTW, their customer service people are still really nice. I had to call about the broken disc too and they were great.

51. whatsfair says:

I think the article Title should be “Is it the bad DVD player or possible bad DVDs from Netflix?”

In the many years that I have been using Netflix, I have only had One bad DVD that did not play. I love Netflix for the convenience, and the online streaming keeps me well entertained.

I think the article writer should have expressed doubts about the validity of this complaint.

52. WyomingGunAndHuntingEnthusiast says:

I used to have Netflix but gave up after it started taking forever for Blu-ray’s to arrive at my home or for them to get my return. So I switched to blockbuster which is free with my Dish Network service, same problem, takes forever to get Blu-ray’s and for the return. The envelopes arrive destroyed or the disc broken. I don’t believe this has anything to do with Blockbuster or Netflix, I believe its USPS not giving a damn.

The postal delivery girl that fills the mailboxes shows up in jeans, smoking a cigarette and in summer has booty shorts on and tits falling out, granted I don’t mind looking but every time she delivers the mail my enveloped are opened and any free mail order samples I may have ordered disappear. I have complained to USPS and they always say there is nothing they can do. I went to the local branch and they don’t care, the local branch doesn’t even answer the phone when you call.

53. Kestris says:

We’ve never had any issues with Netflix DVDs not playing.

It sounds either like the distribution center where she’s at is having problems with their discs, or the USPS is screwing them up in transit.

54. Jules Noctambule says:

We’ve had a number of heavily scratched discs and at least one broken one over the years, but fortunately Netflix has always been quick to replace them. If it were happening with greater frequency, though, I’m not sure even quick replacing would make the service worthwhile.

55. The Wyrm says:

I’ve been a Netflix customer for seven years now, and I think I’ve received about 12 unplayable DVDs out of about 1300 DVDs. Yes, 1300, I’ve been on the 8 at a time plan when I was in Korea and Iraq during my military service (Your mailing address is a PO box in California or New York while in Korea/Iraq) and watched an average a DVD a day for two years, plus 3/week for four more years. I’m currently on the 3 at a time plan.
    What the OP described isn’t a damaged DVD, it’s a damaged DVD player.
    I don’t understand the hate on Netflix. They made a mistake with Quickster, and they FIXED IT. People cry about prices going up for a LUXURY SERVICE and expect sympathy. This isn’t the price of milk or bread going up, this is the price of renting movies.

56. barty says:

Hmm, I’ve had Netflix for 5 years, and in that time I can recall getting two defective discs. One was a new release and the disc was probably defective from the time it was pressed (no visible scratches), the other was obviously damaged in the mail.

So I’d say overall I’ve been pretty pleased with them. Even despite all of the complaints about their pricing, it is still less expensive than the old movie rental model if you watch more than 3-4 movies a month.

57. steam says:

I gave up ordering DVDs from Netflix…way too many scratches and other people’s food stains. I use the online service.

58. You-Me-Us says:

You’re not alone. This is precisely why I dropped Netflix nearly two years ago.

59. McDoctor says:

I’ll join the “received hundreds of DVDs/Blu-Rays, and only 1-2 unplayable ones” from Netflix. Blockbuster (by Mail) is a different story. I get an unplayable disc (and I confirm by wiping it off and trying it in other players) at least once a month.

60. SunsetKid says:

I have never had a problem with Netflix DVDs. I have a 2 DVD subscription. The next DVD on my list was an obscure movie that was not available locally. They emailed me that they would send the DVD from another city and in the meantime send me the next DVD in my queue. I prefer physical DVDs – especially Blu-Ray for their sound and video quality and extras.

61. dwasifar says:

I see a lot of “hasn’t happened to me, therefore OP’s fault.”

I think it would be instructive to see what movies these people are renting, vs. what movies the people with problems are renting.

I cancelled Netflix last month because of too many bad discs, but I noticed that the bad discs were almost always obscure, low-demand titles – old films, indie films. More popular titles were always fine.

I’d bet the people saying there is no problem are mostly renting popular new releases, and the people saying there IS a problem are renting back catalog. Replacing low-demand films probably generates lower ROI for them, so they try to get away without doing it. That’s my hypothesis, anyway.

The final straw for me was when I sent back a damaged disc, checked the box for “send a replacement,” and three days later received the VERY SAME damaged disc again. (It was damaged in a very distinctive and recognizable pattern.)

62. merc78 says:

Just cancelled my subscription a week ago for the same reason. I now use Redbox and although not perfect I’ve had better luck. Netflix just hasn’t done enough re quality control which is suppose to pick up defects but it appears they miss as many as they catch. Therefore goodbye Netflix.

63. anonConsumer says:

I have been a Netflix subscriber for over 11 years now. Looking at my rental history I counted less than 10 times that I have had a problem with discs (and now all 10 times were due to cracks).

Now technically I haven’t rented a DVD for a couple years (I’ve been all blu-ray), but I have had no problems with discs at all (with either new or older titles).

If I had to guess, I would say that something is wrong with your DVD player (as many others have suggested) and not the Netflix discs, especially if you had trouble watching multiple discs of the same movie.

Also, I find there is absolutely no reason why the quality of discs would suddenly decrease dramatically when Netflix separated the plans.

64. waicool says:

netflix is so last year

65. Alessar says:

Once I got a dvd from Netflix that was actually shattered, but the label was holding it together in a solid state. It wasn’t until I flipped it over and looked that I saw it looked like a spiderweb under there. I think it’s entirely possible to overlook severe damage on a DVD. But, there are some other possibilities too, like a disgruntled employee somewhere in the pipeline. It also sounds like many of the same title are damaged, so perhaps someone has a grudge against it? For this many problem DVDs, Netflix should be doing some kind of audit on the products and process.

66. TheWraithL98 says:

I had a netflix dvd that was damaged, so I sent it back and the replacement that came was also damaged. I sent back the replacement and the second replacement came damaged too – I think they actually sent the first dvd a second time. At that point I torrented the movie ;)

67. privax says:

They never actually went through with the DVD delivery/streaming split.

I’ve been a subscriber since August of 2002 and can’t really remember how many DVD’s I’ve got in the mail that were not playable.. less than five.