What To Do When You Find Out The Dope Who Sits Next To You Is Making More Than You Are

If the corporate world functioned fairly, pay would be commensurate with the amount of experience and ability employees have. But fairness has little to do with the way pay scales tip. Factors such as nepotism, politics and timing can all add up to confirming your fear that your cubicle neighbor makes more than you do, and will probably always out-earn you unless you try to dare to make a power play.

See Debt Run suggests ways to handle the discovery of such disheartening information. The savvy can use it as leverage to get a raise, while the revelation may cause bumblers to hasten their own demise in the company.

One of the best ways to ask for equal or better pay is to set up a meeting with a decision maker and ignore direct comparisons to those who make more than you while talking yourself up. Whenever you ask for a raise, it’s important to demonstrate your value to the company in concrete ways — for instance, naming your accomplishments and responsibilities — while making it clear that you know you’re not being paid your market value.

Sometimes the raise won’t come immediately, or ever, thanks to economic realities your bosses face. If you’re turned down, it’s key to react with professionalism and tact while keeping a sharper eye out for a means to jump ship.

What If You Find Out Your Co-Workers Are Making More Money Than You [See Debt Run]

Comments

1. dolemite says:

I kind of wonder if people around me make a lot less than I do for doing the same thing. They always piss and moan about being broke and never having money. Of course they all go out to eat every day for lunch and several times a week for dinner.

• dush says:

Yeah, that guy who pays for cigarettes and coffee every day and has a big cable tv package and the latest smartphone with data package but complains about living paycheck to paycheck.

• eturowski says:

No kidding. For $10, I can do one of the following:

-Eat a (modest) lunch out, or
      -Make a whole crock pot of soup that will feed me all week.

• Cor Aquilonis says:

Funny thing, money. After one spends it, one doesn’t have any.

2. suez says:

This happened to me back in the late 1980s. It was a factory job, not in an office setting, but it’s just as upsetting. After working for two years at this place in the stock room and shipping/receiving departments, I was “promoted” to working in the washroom of the assembly line. They then hired an assistant to help me. He was illiterate and was regularly very late or out completely on Mondays due to being hung over. After a few months, I discovered he was still getting paid more than me. That was the final straw and I started the step to go to college. To this day I wish I’d sued their asses, but I just wanted out.

• suez says:

And I know it was sexual-biased for a fact because they basically TOLD me so. I originally wanted the open position on the actual assembly line (it paid more), but I kept getting the run-around, until one day I walked in and there was a new guy working that spot. When I asked why, when I’d been promised the spot, the CEO told me, to my face, “You aren’t strong enough to work with the parts they’re using. Aren’t you glad we’re hiring these handsome young men?”
      1) Who do you think handled those same parts in shipping/receiving/stock? And when assembled parts got too big, they had powered winches anyway!
      2) I knew the guy and he was married and I wouldn’t have dated him with a 10-foot-pole.
      3) You sexist ass.

• maxamus2 says:

Sue? What on earth would you sue them for??

• suez says:

Sexual discrimination. It was quite clear that they were paying him more than me to do the same job, even though I was HIS supervisor, with 2 years experience compared to his new hire. You can’t see how that’s an issue?

• southpaw1971 says:

I didn’t sue, but I did leave a job where I had to train my new manager. Idiot couldn’t even spell TCP/IP. He literally had to ask me what it meant. But I was a woman, he was a man, and in this company women didn’t go above individual contributors… on the east coast, anyway.

• Brenell says:

Now that we know you’re a woman it makes more sense.

• Chipzilla says:

Reminds me of the episode of Family Guy where Opie is promoted to Peter’s boss…

3. rpm773 says:

Or, you can just telecommute, and avoid the problem of sitting next to people making more than you altogether.

Did I miss the point of the article?

4. Marlin says:

What To Do When You Find Out The Dope Who Sits Next To You Is Making More Than You Are?

First do they do the same job? work the same hours? same rank? etc… Also are you sure you are not more lazy or as good as them? If you are then you should have no problem getting more money else where since you are that great. ;-)

To many think they are better than most and the company can’t live without them. Guess what everybody can be replaced, even you snow flake.

• crispyduck13 says:

Yes it is quite easy to replace all those special little snowflakes, especially when they don’t know the difference between too and to.

Obviously, Marlin, if your coworker was getting paid more than you for the same work we could safely assume it was warranted.

5. southpaw1971 says:

Suck it up and realize that life isn’t fair.

The end.

• u1itn0w2day says:

Silly, it’s not ‘suck it up’ it’s suck up: ALOT.

• exconsumer says:

I always found it funny when people told me that ‘life wasn’t fair’ as if that would motivate me to accept a raw deal. But, life not being fair, I may as well demand (or fight tooth and nail) to get whatever the hell I want, fairness be damned.

6. HogwartsProfessor says:

The guy in the article did a good job of bringing his qualifications for a higher salary to his manager’s attention, without complaining or ratting out his coworkers. It was good to frame it as relating to his career and fortunately his boss agreed he was worth the money.

The last raise I got was a dollar an hour, but it was because my old bosses were afraid I would jump ship after my supervisor did. When I checked on my salary, I found I was on the low end of the national average for my position, but wages are typically lower here because we’re in the Midwest. However, with prices rising and the lousy economy, the “lower cost of living” thing isn’t all that accurate anymore. Now that I’m job hunting, I’d have to start all over again at the tiny salary, which sucks.

7. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I was hired for an office manager job that turned out to entail a lot more responsibility than I was told when I negotiated my salary. I was also given two more people to assist. I was filing things when I accidentally discovered that my predecessor made almost 20K more than me per year. I asked HR about it and they said, “Tough luck, you had the chance to negotiate your pay when you started.” When I quit, I sent Corporate a long list of the extra work, abuse, and craziness I had to put up with. Turned out that the office wasn’t even allowed to have an office manager for something like eight months after that.

8. George4478 says:

I forcefeed them white rice until they die of diabetes then dissolve their body in tainted orange juice. From Orange County. Win.

//I read this site too much

9. novajosh says:

Not sure how applicable this is in today’s economy, but one of the easiest and best ways to get a raise and possibly a promotion is to change companies.

• suez says:

It’s still applicable. After getting paltry raises for the past 10 years with a Big Four accounting firm (no exucse for crappy raises prior to the recession), I jumped ship to another Big Four firm to essetially do the same job, and I got a 20% raise out of it!

• George4478 says:

I interviewed lots of folks back in the 90′s who believed strongly in the ‘six months and change’ concept of career advancement. I knew when I saw their resume I’d never hire any of them, since I didn’t want to go through the same exercise in 6 months. HR would keep sending them to me and I’d give them 15 minutes of polite discussion.

Nothing wrong with changing jobs and looking for more money. I just wanted people who were changing jobs because they wanted the job, not just a raise.

• Marlin says:

Then pay them what they are worth and another company can’t steal them away.
        Not sure why thats so hard to see.

• George4478 says:

Sorry, if I get a resume where someone has had 4 jobs in the last two years, I’m not going to assume that the problem was with ALL of the companies. I’m going to assume the problem is with the ONE applicant.

The whole six-months-and-out was hugely popular in IT in the 90′s around Atlanta. People were not being poorly paid, there were just not enough people to go around so they job-jumped.

• Marlin says:

AGAIN

Why leave if someone else can;t beat the pay?

People jumped as many companies were offering better pay. Companies poached because they knew many were under paying in that climate. The companies that did better, amazon/google/and even smaller firms/etc…, paid better and treated better so people were less likly to jump.

• webweazel says:

“I left a couple places after less than a year as they promised raises and what not after a trial period that never seemed to end and/or no money as promised.”

How true. For example, where my spouse works, they used to have reviews/possible raise every year, profit sharing, and some bonuses. Bonuses disappeared 5 years ago. Profit sharing disappeared 4 years ago, and nobody has has a review/raise in over 3 years. Even after the company PROMISING them every February 4 years ago during the last one. No hints of any reviews/raises coming up any time soon, either. The strangest thing is that the raises used to be given according to ATTENDANCE, not PERFORMANCE. WTF?

Morale is in the toilet company-wide and spinning the bowl. Is it any wonder why? Once this economy picks up a bit, there’s going to be a mass exodus out of there.

• missy070203 says:

I always stayed at least 2 years – I was afraid leaving any earlier would tarnish my resume for future opportunities…. the last companys I worked for hired me in at a mid level position aknowledging that they didn’t have a higher position available at the time but someone was expected to retire within a year and that the position and increased salary would be mine…. soon after I was hired I found out that I was capped in my position and the promised position??? well those higher positions were reserved for family and drinking friends… they hired people in higher positions than myself (8+ years experience) who had 0 experience making at least 10K more a year than me and getting an additional weeks vacation above mine…. I jumped ship at 2 years 1 month- got a 15% pay increase and a higher position with a new company and they actually hire people based on experience etc. etc. and they treat us with more respect…. as long as it stays this way I hope to retire from this place in 20 years

• webweazel says:

Ahhh, yes, nepotism, old-boy network, whatever you want to call it. Hiring the drinking buddies, the lazy cousin who ‘needs a job’, the childhood friend, who know nothing about the company, does not care one iota about the company, knows they’ve got a job for life no matter how bad they screw up, steal, or piss people off, thus eventually evolving into the biggest asshole boss in the area. I find that that usually spells the end of a company. It might take a while, but it will always happen.

Worst case I ever saw– business owner brought in an investor/partner. He brought along his buddy as part of the deal to run the engineering department of 15 guys. This idiot was totally unskilled, arrogant, and thought he was the king of his little world. Rather than get mad, the staff constantly set up traps, or ‘grenades’ they called them, at every opportunity, to allow him to make a complete and utter incompetent tool out of himself right in front of the owner and the partner. This jackass made it easy for them in his stupidity, and never suspected a thing. By the time the second to last engineer left the company, and the last one was polishing up his resume, the owner had to declare bankruptcy for the sole purpose of dissolving the partnership contract to get rid of this asshole who ultimately ruined him.

Then through the grapevine we heard this asswipe got an engineering job at another company, and was fired after 3 weeks. hahahahaha!

10. Cat says:

If I find out that the guy seated at my right hand is making more than me, I shall smite him.

• regis-s says:

That’s the nice thing about being in a union. You know you’re making the same as the deadbeats

Come to think of it, that’s the shitty part of being in a union too.

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

And you ‘re all making more than you would were there not a union. Suck it up.

11. deathbecomesme says:

My boss accidentally sent out quarterly reports that showed what each of us was making and we all immediately started “bitching” about the lazy a$$ on the team who got paid more than all of us. I was even here longer than him by 6months. My boss gave each of us raises and now we all make more than him. He’s still lazy though and doesn’t do shit.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

My wife works for a hospital affiliated with a state university. Thus her salary, and those of all co-workers, is public knowledge (local paper has a searchable database of the information). It makes for a pretty tense work environment, especially around the time the salaries are published each year.

• dolemite says:

Where I work, if you discuss your pay with anyone, it’s grounds for dismissal. I believe it’s because many people make peanuts and if it were public everyone made so little, there would be an uproar.

• deathbecomesme says:

We have that same policy here except it was the boss who made the mistake of including the salary in the teams quarterly report. So when individual reviews came around we all raised the issue of the dead weight on the team and how we all did more than him (we had reports that showed how much more work we did than him, not just our opinion) and got raises as a result.

12. u1itn0w2day says:

Get a pogo stick so you can jump higher. Eat lots of lemons so you lip really pucker up. Or go to the bar after work with the boss/es like many do working for a big national corporation.

13. maxamus2 says:

Missing from the article is the absolute best way to get a raise. Get some good dirt on your boss, an affair, him stealing money from the company, etc… then use it to get a fat raise. Works every time.

14. azzy says:

I have a couple stories to tell about this. First off was my mother, she and some co-workers found a HR salary list at one of her places of work. Gossip started to spread, of course. A new hire was making much more than she was, and she was upset about this. She went and told management about the salary list, against my advice, and was promptly fired. Tough lesson there. It did work out for the best, she got a higher salary at a competitor.

I am firmly against talking about or knowing my co-workers salary. All I have to care about is my own, and I need to feel I am making a fair wage that supports my lifestyle. When I started working at my current company it was a meager raise from my last job, but over the years I have had many raises for promotions and a handful of spot bonuses. Hard work pays off. Dumb luck also pays off, as I recently received a large raise simply because the company did a market value survey and determined I was making too little. Thankfully I work for a business that realizes that while nobody is irreplacable, it’s easier to retain good talent than find new.

• elangomatt says:

I am pretty much against knowing the salaries of co-workers as well, but unfortunately my salary is public knowledge. My name and salary isn’t yet online (faculty and administrator’s salaries are actually online in my state), but it wouldn’t be difficult for my co-workers to find out what I make by just going to our college library. I make more than many people I work with, but thankfully most have a lower title than I do so it isn’t hard to justify. I am hoping within a year or two to have enough evidence to make a case to get bumped up another pay grade as well.

• Professor59 says:

Yes, that market research raise happened to me once. It was around 1985. Since then HR depts are smarter. They make sure to keep our job titles changing regularly, so they can deny there’s anyone else on earth doing the same job as I am. I generally do not know what my job title is until I see it on my annual review. I understand that it’s getting to be a pretty common practive now.

15. bhr says:

As a former boss there are a lot of reasons that people doing the same job might have different pay.

The obvious one is performance, but that is rarely the only factor. In larger companies it is rarely the biggest factor, as many jobs have very specific pay steps (percentage raises available, starting salaries).

Among other factors are longevity (Guy hired 1yr before might have received a number incremental raises), starting salary (if I negotiate 10% more at the start it might take a superior employee years to catch up), assertiveness (It is amazing what can happen when you stand up for yourself in reviews, sometimes extra money can be found) and yes, personal relationships.

The key thing is to understand the pay structure. Is your salary negotiable? does the company guarantee raises with good reviews? Would taking on extra duties/assignments/hours increase the base pay?

When I hired people my sales people all got the same pay, since they knew most of their compensation came from commissions, but my salaried folks got 1-3% annual raises based on performance. Obviously I had permission to offer more to keep/reward a good employee, but the biggest factors that made 2 people with the same job earn different amounts were where they started and how long they had been there.

16. u1itn0w2day says:

I’ve seen bosses give the less desirable raises, promotions and TRANFERS just to get them out of their hair. Only be 30 seconds late every single day, never complete paper work perfect even one time, just get the job done but don’t tell anybody how even though the return/repeat problems will drive everyone else nuts.

17. teke367 says:

I’m probably one of those dopes. For me, I may make a bit more than some in my department, because I was already making more when I transferred in.

A couple people came into the department from lower paybands, and while they got a significant raise when coming over, it wasn’t doubling their salary. I took the long way, which ended up paying off.

I’m new in the department, so I’m still on the low end, but probably paid slightly better than people who had been here a year or two.

18. Doubting thomas says:

Am I the onle person in the world who doesn’t care what anyone else is making? Life isn’t fair and I have never expected it to be. I negotiate a salary when i start a job, one that I feel is suitable for the job I am expected to do. As long as that situation doesn’t change then why do i care what Bob or Sue make?

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

That’s nice. If Bob and Sue worked for 50K a year, and you’re doing it for 12K and luls, when I interview as your replacement or co-worker, I don’t want to be told “the position is only worth 12K”. Thanks so much.

• u1itn0w2day says:

That’s an example of how the different agendas or reasons people work affect pay. Many in the workforce are there for a second income, benefits, resume time, hours that allow them to do something else etc. Some even get to do their personal stuffff on the job. I’ve noticed if you don’t have alterior motives and treat the job & rules the way you are supposed to you are looked down upon.

Some just want job security because they want job THAT job or that job fits their personal agenda. Pay is secondary. Many frown upon the ambitious. They don’t want the boat rocked even though it can actually take a pretty good slamming.

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Because you can use that intel to get more money for yourself. Rule of Acquisition #97: Enough… is never enough.

19. u1itn0w2day says:

One of the biggest cases of salary envy I ever saw was from a new school college graduate supervisor who found out the company was starting to hire technicians off the street at top pay still needing some training. He went ballistic one day when he found out a new hire was making more than him.

But that supervisor was in a job that be used to be given to 10-15 year employees who had done and mastered multiple jobs with-in the company. He didn’t even want the tech to go through standard company orientation training he wanted him working asap. He calmed down a few months later.

20. 2 Replies says:

If the dope sitting next to you is making more than you… then he/she isn’t the dope, right?

21. areaman says:

What do I do if I’m the dope making more money?

I have higher qualifications, licenses, more experience than the person next to me though.

22. The Cosmic Avenger says:

Maybe the “dope” sitting next to you actually proofreads their work.

• ChuckECheese says:

Maybe s/he does work harder and smarter. Or maybe s/he’s an old friend of the head of HR, and works only 3 days a week, and turns in wildly inflated mileage and expense reports (averaging over 100 mi per day of driving e.g.). There is rarely any tangible evidence of him/her having actually worked, and frequently s/he bails on projects, leaving you in the lurch. And somehow s/he gets an extra HSA card (employer pays first $1000 of deductible with debit card, unless you are friends with the head of HR and they give you 2 cards in which case you get $2000). And then even though you could swear this person said they had 2 years of college when you started working together, suddenly you hear s/he has a M.S. and got a huge pay increase (s/he bragged about it) and is now a supervisor over some of the largest programs in the company when everybody else in your department hasn’t had a raise or promotion in 4 years and s/he goes to lunch with her boss nearly every work day on the company dime but accounting is calling you asking why you couldn’t find someplace cheaper to eat lunch than Carl’s Jr when you’re on the road. And sometimes she has been accused of behaving as if drunk or high on the job but it isn’t looked into. Oh, and it’s a taxpayer-funded operation.

• human_shield says:

If it’s a taxpayer funded organization why not make an anonymous complaint and blow the whistle?

Please.

• AcctbyDay says:

Holy shit this, this this this.

23. Snakeophelia says:

I’m surprised to see the number of people saying, in effect, “Who cares?” Sure, there’s room for negotiation, but if you find out that people at your company with the same education, same role, and same amount of experience are being offered notably higher salaries, you certainly have cause to ask for a raise, or leave. After all, if the other person got the extra money just by asking, why shouldn’t you ask?

I asked for a big raise last year using this as one of my pieces of supporting data. Person with my same role, same degree, and less experience making almost 10% more than me? Not cool, but I had plenty of other evidence to show I was underpaid. That’s when I found out that our company has such a problem with this that our new HR director set in motion a plan to compare everyone’s salaries to benchmarks and make them more equitable. And I’m soon going to see a big raise from that, while the people who are currently overpaid are not going to get raises for the next couple of years, until everyone who should be at the same level is at the same level.

So yes, you should care, and you shouldn’t be the only one who does.

24. dosdelon says:

I remember when I was working as a contractor a while back and discovered that I was making more than my supervisor was.

• Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

And I’d wager you paid more out than s/he did, too (footing your own health insurance bill, employment taxes, fees, CPA, etc).

Depending on your rate and overhead, your compensation may have wound up just a little more in net $$$, or a wash, or even more likely, less.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

At my company, it’s possible for an employee to make more than their supervisor.

I work in the IT department, and the company realized that promoting top performing IT analysts to management wasn’t a great idea. Many of them hated the “promotion” and left to go elsewhere. They added job classes to the analyst role so that the max of the range is a lot high now. If you’re a star performer with skills that are hard to find, you can make quite a bit more than your boss.

In other words, some skills are more valuable than managerial skills …

25. StutiCebriones says:

Why we need unions.

• u1itn0w2day says:

I used to be hardcore union. No more. Unions are needed but it should be make the sure the process is fair, not the pay. I’d rather see unions backing all the non pay issues like safety , hours, policies, harassment etc. BUT the average employee should have someone representing them just as the company has lawyers and Hrs representing them. Many don’t know what they are entitled to. Or how to go about getting it. Every document you sign was probably run by a company lawyer. Did your lawyer go over the same documents?

I had one non union job unless you got something in writing management’s word was worthless. If you ever change a job title or transfer to another job location and there’s paperwork involved make sure you write something like the ‘for the same pay’ or ‘at an hourly rate of…” and make a copy for yourself. I knew people who put statements on paperwork like that I they got to keep the salary they had/verbally agreed to(supervisor practice & corporate policy are different things). Those who didn’t minus well have been hired off the street. The corporate computer system can give a demotion in pay.

• edicius is an acquired taste says:

My union, sadly, is worthless. I had a grievance that I repeatedly tried to file with my rep and he waffled on it for so long that it was no longer within that magic threshold of time. I was the shop steward at the time too.

• jenesaisrien says:

Nothing new here-unions are outlawyered and out financed nowadays…more loopholes used to mistreat employees, less jobs to choose from hence more choose not to file grievances in the first place….

26. Portlandia says:

Happened to me once about 12 years ago. Got hired out of college, then moved to a senior position about 2 years later shortly after I found out they’re hiring noobs at my same salary (market conditions were tighter after I was hired, so it justified higher salaries). I found out because I saw the position posting on monster.com.

I went into the directors office and told her what I found and asked to be compensated fairly. I was training these new people and felt I should make more. She asked who told me about the starting pay (the company was annonamized by the recruiter but (job was in a relatively small town and the job description was a copy and paste from our employee handbook), told her my source and I got a raise. It was kinda scary but got about 7% raise if I remember correctly.

27. edicius is an acquired taste says:

I have at least 8 more years of service than my co-worker who gets paid significantly more than me to do significantly LESS work. Or rather, he sits around all day and watches Netflix romcoms on his laptop.

28. crispyduck13 says:

I care less about my salary vs. the “dope” next to me than I do my salary vs. the average for my field in my city. This has a lot to do with the fact that I have no similar coworker to compare myself to at my company. However, even if I did I wouldn’t have changed my strategy of presenting 3 independent salary calculations for my city along with a personal write-up at my raise request meeting. Think about it: if you make less than the cubical monkey next to you, but that person is making less than 80% of the cubical monkeys in your city, which fact would bother you more?

Request a raise for what you deserve in your area, sometimes companies get stuck in the cycle of artificially depressing salaries as compared to others in the immediate area. Don’t be a sucker and trust that the highest paid person in your department is getting paid fairly just because their number is higher than yours.

P.S. To all those super intelligent commentors harping on about how we should all “suck it up” and accept that “life’s not fair” go do 5 minutes of time out in your corner please. The adults are trying to have a conversation here.

29. Mambru says:

I always assume everyone in my workplace makes more than me, that way I’m not bummed out when I found out that I actually make less than them

30. kornkid42 says:

Don’t tell your employeer that you know what the other guy is making. In my company at least, that is grounds for termination.

31. inputhike says:

Except that it’s not about how much the other guy is making – it’s about what you’re actually worth, and how much you could be making for your skills and experience. If requests for a raise based on your worth don’t go anywhere, and you can’t get a job elsewhere making more, the likelihood is that the other guy is either offering more than you are, or he’s getting overpaid. (Or maybe you’re just not worth what you think you are.)
    The reality right now is once you’ve been someplace more than about 5 years your salary will quickly become out of sync with what you’re worth or what someone new would be offered. I actually just had this conversation with one of my employees, and the sad truth is there’s nothing I can do about it right now. Once my oldest employee retires, I’ll restructure all the staffing and said employee will be put on a different pay scale. In the meantime what we really need is an additional position in the department, and I can’t argue for both at the same time (and even that is going poorly).

• jesusofcool says:

This. The real issue isn’t what you’re being paid in comparison to others, it’s if you’re being valued appropriately or if the organization is getting everything they can out of you. And you’re right, if you were under-negotiated on salary upon hiring you’re really going to be in trouble once you have a few years experience under your belt. Unfortunately in this economy, I’m finding that companies are cocky – they feel like it’s ok to not value good people appropriately because there’s another overqualified schmo just around the corner. I’m glad to see that for many orgs this is backfiring in their place. I see a lot of positions locally that are up for months at a time because the prior underpaid person leaves and the org can’t find anyone equally qualified who will work for anywhere close what they were paying them, and finally realize they should have just given the other person whatever they needed to stick around.

32. drjayphd says:

Or, as my experience has shown, wait for the higher-paid person to flame out because they can’t function in a newsroom. (Seriously, what grown-ass adult throws things at people just to get their attention, never mind in a professional setting?)

33. Snowblind says:

The bastard could be indulging in some salary inflation.

There was a jerk who used to crow about how he got such a good deal when he joined up. Then he left his pay stub on the copy machine. It was 40% lower than mine and I was a year up on him in seniority.

He burned out after a few months, faked an illness and found another job while on disability. Seemed to be an MO for him.

To this day, he is the only person I have ever had try to discuss salary with me.

I have only ever once left a job because I felt I was underpaid or overworked. It was a good choice too. I suggest if you are unhappy about salary, try to find another job. It will cure you one way or the other. Either you find a job that pays more, or you find out the market does not support your expectations.

34. donovanr says:

I’ve had a friend who when recently hired made that demand. He said, “Regardless of company policy about sharing salaries everybody eventually finds out so simply make sure my pay matches those doing the same job.”

He told me that the HR person later confessed that they bumped their offer by 10 thousand.

35. Perdair says:

So you have two kids. You give one of them a piece of chocolate cake. You ask him if he’s satisified with his cake and he says he is. Then, you give the other kid a piece that is twice as big. Suddenly, the first kid is no longer satisfied with his cake even though nothing about it has changed in any way. This is a completely illogical feeling of “fairness” that we just have to try to get over. Would the first kid suddenly be happy with his cake again if you took half of the second kids cake away?

If you found out one of your coworkers was making more than you for the same job, would you only want the issue fixed by raising your pay to match theirs, or would you also accept the lowering of their pay to match yours?

36. corridor7f says:

..even if they are making more than you, are they happier than you?

..not to mention, all their money could be wrapped up in debt or a mortgage.