Stitch Up Holes In Your Networking Skills

If you want to get ahead in the business world, you’ll need skill, luck and connections. And the latter is arguably the most important of your assets. The amount of career success you find will probably be a function of your ability to make helpful connections and use them to your advantage.

InvestorJunkie offers a primer on business networking skills to develop, hone and maintain. An overarching theme is a recommendation against scrounging for friends with business benefits like some sort of vampire. The best alliances come from a genuine emotional connection and mutual benefits. Attempting to fake your way into someone’s good graces can backfire, causing you to take two steps back rather than move forward.

When you meet people you want to stick in your network, it’s important to follow up often to make sure they remember who you are. Look for ways you can help others you don’t know well, and when you need help, don’t be shy about asking those who are in position to lend a hand. If you’re brushed aside, don’t take it personally. Because if there were a personal connection there, you probably wouldn’t have been denied.

5 Helpful Business Networking Tips [InvestorJunkie]

Comments

1. belsonc says:

Ok, normally I don’t jump on the dogpile, but… what does this have to do with being a consumer?

• AcctbyDay says:

Absolutely nothing.

• HowardRoarksTSquare says:

Because you network with people when you purchase goods?

Darned if I know

• MJDickPhoto says:

it’s a Phildo Post, enough said. I accidentally clicked on it without looking at who posted it. served me right, but stayed to see how many other did the same. lol

• u1itn0w2day says:

Just as an employee within an organization or business owner in an industry the consumer will see the product & price based on a “network” and not quality, efficiency or economy. Certain businesses and companies have a habit of doing business with each other which could lead to fewer choices for the consumer. The consumer might also see a product or service produced by someone who utilized a network rather than skill or qualifications.

2. D007H says:

I lack people skill so I signed up for a networking class. All it taught me was how to configure routers and servers.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Is it sad I saw the article title and expected some information on IT systems?

4. Lyn Torden says:

IPv6! Oh wait, business?

5. Hungry Dog says:

Do they have tips for the reclusive person and I am talking Hikikomori reclusive.

6. Blueskylaw says:

A friend of mine (only known him for about a year) who will remain nameless offered me, out of the blue, to write a letter of recommendation for me. This man was so high up in the business world that he has known 6 presidents. This could be a potentially life changing experience since I am self-employeed right now and he offered to vouch for my character and knowledge to any company in America.
    What did I do to deserve this? A deep love of history ranging from the Civil War to how business cards are presented in Japan is one thing but when I paid for his lunch, that really moved him. It was the smartest money I ever spent next to school.

7. Nunov Yerbizness says:

I have to assume that Phil is sleeping with someone with hire/fire authority at CU. I can’t think of any other reason to keep someone on paid staff who doesn’t seem able to do anything but “content curation” of the kind of crap-filler that MSN and Yahoo post so they can get ad-clickthrough money.

Phil’s posts are the meatless equivalent of pink slime.

8. rmorin says:

I know it is en vogue to say “when Ben was here” but I actually recall Ben engaging commenters all the time. I’ve seen Phil do this once or twice and it was something trivial like commenting about his alma mater. Clearly, no one reads these comments from Consumerist/CR or else there would have been changes from Phil.

In regards to his aptitude as a writer:

Phil’s personal? blog is pretty bad:

His reporting pieces for a AZ newspaper appear serviceable:

His rotten Tomotoes recommendations are not bad at all:

So what I am getting at is I don’t think he is as bad a writer as his posts are, instead I think he is being lazy. As a consumer of the consumerist (remember, just because you don’t pay for something, it does not mean you are not a consumer!) I would hope that a reputable organization such as CR would step in and tell him to knock him off. There appears however I contradictory attitude to quality improvement of one of their products by CR. It’s unfortunate that a blog that invented the EECB and genuinely used to make noise is now a news aggregator.

9. Razor512 says:

You never covered the practice of separating the networks so that the more general employees will not even have the basic level of access needed to perform a man in the middle attack on upper level workers who have access to more sensitive data.

or making sure that all workers follow good security practices such as using a strong password (not relying on telling them to change a password every month as that just forces workers to use shorter/ easier to remember passwords which will also be easy to crack).

Also make sure that all workers encrypt the hard drives of any laptops that will contain sensitive data and before sending any laptop through the TSA that they be powered down at least 10 minutes before (can be turned on if needed to boot into a live USB if requested but never the main OS)

10. wackydan says:

Your connections don’t add up to squat if you suck at your profession.

• BurtReynolds says:

I wouldn’t say that. It depends on how good those connections are. Plenty of people have jobs they don’t deserve, and near immunity from criticism because of who they know.

• dolemite says:

I know plenty of people that suck at their jobs and mess up time and again and keep their job somehow…and I’ve seen very capable people mess up only a few times then get fired because they didn’t kiss enough hiney.

• u1itn0w2day says:

Plenty of mediocre if not incompetent employees getting promotions, raises and what they want for butt sucking. And they have to gaul to boast how well they know & do their job. And yet they always seem to be in trouble of somekind.

I knew old management with a corporate telecom and they refused to update themselves and kept transfering to locations with old school management,technology & plant. There was still enough of the good old boy network to get him what they wanted but. But after almost 1/2 dozen transfers in a decade they will start asking questions no matter who you know.

11. BurtReynolds says:

Yeah, it is too bad things like qualifications and past performance can be less important than who you know.

12. u1itn0w2day says:

There is networking and then there is sucking butt like a slurpee through a straw. There is staying current, familiar and diplomatic but then there is slimmy closed door smoked filled room politics that will leave a stench on you for life.

You shouldn’t need spring soled shoes to get to the first rung on the corporate ladder or to satisfy your management on a daily basis.

Are you a jumper or climber going up one rung at a time.

13. dolemite says:

I have no connections, no networks or anything. And I like it.