At Least 35 People Ill After Drinking Raw Milk

Unpasteurized, aka “raw,” milk is illegal to sell in a number of states because of concerns about possible pathogen contamination. Of course, those bans also tend to make raw milk a sought-after delicacy for those who believe that pasteurization has a negative effect on the taste and nutritional value of milk. But in the last few weeks, at least 35 people in four states have become ill after consuming the unpasteurized stuff.

Health officials in Pennsylvania say that the 28 known cases of campylobacter bacterial infection in that state — along with four in Maryland, two in West Virginia, and one in New Jersey — all appear to be linked to milk purchased from one farm in Chambersburg, PA, sometime after January 1.

That farm, one of 153 in PA licensed to sell unpasteurized milk, has voluntarily stopped production of raw milk. It also had its latest batch tested by an independent lab and claims that the test came back pathogen-free.

35 cases of illness tied to Pa. farm’s raw milk [Philly.com]

20 Campylobacter Cases Now Linked to Raw Milk Dairy [Food Safety News]

Comments

1. TakingItSeriously is a Technopile says:

I do not have any desire to drink raw, unpasturized milk. I don’t even like whole milk. 1% for me. That said, what people put into their own bodies is there own business. As long as the dairy adheres to safety and cleanliness standards then there really isn’t much to be said.

• longfeltwant says:

First of all: their, not there.

Second of all: it is their own business, but it is also the business of the rest of society, who have to respond to the emergencies caused by these peoples’ poor decisions. We all pay for it when people do dumb shit like eating unsafe food *on purpose*.

As for milk, I don’t know where the right balance is. We probably don’t have a great balance today on that issue. But to say it’s “none of the business of anyone else” is absurd and wrong, even though it is a popular political ideology these days.

• yurei avalon says:

I’ve had raw milk from a local friend’s dairy farm that was only a few hours old. Ever since trying it I cannot bring myself to like store bought milk anymore and I tend to avoid drinking it. Though I don’t drink raw milk either as it is not easily available unless you want goat’s milk. Store bought, pasteurized milk is an empty, empty shell in comparison flavor wise. The most palatable store brand I’ve found is Stoneyfield’s organic whole milk. I don’t know how the stuff is considered organic or what’s in it since the shelf life on it tends to be 4-6 weeks(!) but it tastes far better than anything else I’ve tried for commercial stuff.

Like any other food product, it is generally safe if handled and consumed properly. People need to realize that the shelf life on raw milk will probably be a couple of days at best. People have been drinking milk for hundreds if not thousands of years before pasteurization was invented. I’m sure there were some deaths or illness from it, but people clearly weren’t dropping like flies from it. These days people seal themselves up in a bubble and refuse to expose their immune system to any sort of bacteria or germs. If anything it’s probably doing more harm than good. Let the kids grow up rolling around in the mud, drinking raw milk and juice and ignoring antibacterial everything. The human race didn’t go extinct when we did it before.

• lockdog says:

Well, the race may have survived the “good ol’ days,” but I don’t think your idea holds a lot of water. Let’s go back to 1870, no antibacterial soap slathered everywhere back then. Of course, 30% of kids died before age 10 and the average life expectancy was 40 years.

• bigkoiguy says:

If we use the logic that we should ban “dangerous” actvities because of the fact that society must pay the costs of medical care then how do we justify things with high accident rates like mountain climbing, bicycling or football? What about drinking liquor or smoking – given that they cause cancer, liver disease, etc, which are very expensive to treat? How about use of extension cords that contibute to significant numbers of house fires? Drinking raw milk is likely less dangerous than these activities in terms of annual deaths and disease/injury rates.

• Solkanar512 says:

Well it’s trivially easy to spread Campylobacter or Listeria around to other people (this is a great way to have a woman miscarry, btw) while you cannot spread “mountain climbing” or whatever the hell you used to form your equivalency fallacy.

Learn some biology, it’s not that difficult.

• FrugalFreak says:

wouldn’t be if we weren’t becoming such a nanny state and people weren’t entroaching on other people’s liberties.

• pythonspam says:

There is such a thing as unpasteurized skim milk.
      1) Milk Cow
      2) Let milk sit; The cream rises to the top
      3) Skim the cream off and make butter
      4) ???
      5) Profit

2. Cat says:

Unpasteurized milk? But, how could this happen? IT’S ORGANIC, Mmmmkay?

• castlecraver says:

Nothing about pasteurization itself renders a food non-organic. In fact, most of the proponents of raw dairy products I’ve met are just anti-nanny-state types who wouldn’t dream of shopping at Whole Foods.

• Churba says:

To be fair, so is Nightshade, and Tetrodotoxin, the poison found in Venomous cone snails and Blue ringed Octopus.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Thank you, Louis Pasteur.

4. dolemite says:

My great grandparents lived on a real farm (like…outdoor bathroom for awhile). Tons of cows, pigs, chickens, hound dogs, hay bails and all that jazz. My grandparents received milk, eggs, meat, etc. from them. The milk would kind of gross me out…not really because there was anything wrong with it, but just knowing it wasn’t processed. But the sausage and bacon? OMG the crap you buy in the supermarket is some kind of pathetic, pale, synthetic approximation of real farm sausage and bacon.

• caradrake says:

Oh man, YES! My great grandparents made sausage, every summer when we’d go visit my grandma, we’d have fresh sausage. It was awesome. They had a normal type and a spicy type. Mmmmm!

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

My neighbor butchers every fall. I love the bacon and sausage. When I have to buy it at the store, it just isn’t the same.

• Villnius says:

The milk from your grandparents’ farm was probably fine, as it no doubt came out of the cow that very morning. Unless the cow was ill, or the bacterial counts were probably still relatively low, since it takes time for harmful bacteria to reach harmful numbers.

The problem with the people chasing after raw milk is that many don’t seem to get that you can’t use it the same way as the regular pasteurized stuff. Since it didn’t go through the quick heating/quick cooling process that kills off bacteria, all the bacteria is still there. That means you can’t keep it in the fridge for 2 weeks like a carton from the corner store and expect it to be safe to drink. Raw milk would by necessity have to have sooner expiry dates.

• jsame says:

I’ve been drinking raw milk for almost 7 years. Raw milk has lasted for 2 weeks or more in my fridge. Raw milk doesn’t really “go bad”. When pasteurized milk goes bad, it putrefies – can’t drink it. Raw milk sours – then you can use it as buttermilk, or to make cheese. How do you think they got curds and whey in the old days? By letting raw milk sit out until it separates. You can’t do that with pasteurized milk.

The important thing about getting raw milk is knowing who you are getting it from – make sure they are sanitary.

• maruawe says:

Dolemite I agree with you on the sausage and bacon and on the organic nature of farm food verses the store bought stuff, I f i could live on the acreage in Colorado all the time I would probably never go into a grocery store … I too remember the Outhouse fondly (except on winter mornings through the snow,rain and everything else imaginable ) and believe it or not I would trade todays life for it in a heartbeat……

5. sirwired says:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why milk is supposed to be pasteurized. Just because the milk is produced by pampered, happy, cows frolicking in a field of dandelions and milked by a bunch of 93rd generation dairy farmers doesn’t mean it’s free of dangerous bacteria;

• awesome anna says:

You mean, this is why humans shouldn’t be drinking the mammary fluid of another species. If milk was “supposed” to be pasteurized, it’d come out of the cow that way.

• zerogspacecow says:

There is no such thing as “supposed to be.” That implies design and intent.

The argument could be made that humans are not evolved to drink the mammary fluid of another species. But that wouldn’t be accurate. Thousands of years since the domestication of animals has evolved a pretty big chunk of the human population to benefit from milk. The major exceptions being the Middle East/Asia where milk-drinking was never part of the culture, and large portions of the population remain lactose intolerant.

• longfeltwant says:

Exactly. In fact, humans DID evolve to drink cow’s milk. That is precisely what happened, recently enough to have documented it quite well.

BUT that is still irrelevant, because the person to whom we are responding tried to use the naturalistic fallacy in their argument. Drinking milk isn’t “good” because we evolved to do it; we also evolved to murder our fellow man. Nor would drinking milk be “bad” if we hadn’t evolved to do it.

• awesome anna says:

I have no idea what you are talking and/or if you are responding to me. If we have evolved to drink milk then again, why is it “supposed to be” pasteurized for that to happen? And why are so many in the population lactose intolerant? “tried to use the naturalistic fallacy” I was just stating my opinion dude… never said it was a fact and I don’t even know what “naturalistic fallacy” even means.

• The Porkchop Express says:

I think lactose intolerant folks may actually be able to drink raw milk, just like many may be able to eat yogurt.

I think the bacteria cultures that are killed in processing regular milk help the digestion of the lactose.

could be wrong though.

• awesome anna says:

I don’t drink any milk, ice cream or yogurt. It all makes me sick. I simply take pro biotic supplements. Guess I haven’t evolved…..

• shepd says:

“9. Can drinking pasteurized milk cause lactose intolerance?

No. Lactose intolerance is due to an insufficient production in the body of the enzyme needed to break down lactose, beta-galactosidase. Lactose is present in both raw milk and pasteurized milk at the same concentration. Pasteurization does not impact the concentration of lactose.”

• magnetic says:

Yogurt is okay because the lactose gets fermented. Raw milk is still full of the stuff.

• sirwired says:

Yes, you are wrong.

The proper digestion of lactose requires the enzyme lactase. This enzyme was not, until recent (few thousand years) time, present in adults. This enzyme is not present in milk in any significant quantity, pasteurized or not. (But it IS added to Lactaid milk.) If you do not produce lactase (and don’t take a lactase supplement), bacteria do the digesting of the lactose for you, producing gas, sometimes in rather painful (in addition to smelly) quantities.

Some populations evolved to have this enzyme present in adults because the ability to digest milk is of great survival and reproductive advantage in a society with a protein-poor diet. (Milk lets you digest animal protein without killing the source or cooking anything.) I believe a significant portion of people of Northern European, West African, and Indian (India-Indian) descent have the proper gene. A comfortable majority of the world population does not. And, in developed countries, are unlikely to do so, since the survival/reproductive advantage to being able to digest milk is nearly zero in a properly-nourished modern society with ample quantities of other animal and plant proteins available.

• awesome anna says:

I’m from northern European decent and the majority of my family is lactose intolerant. No idea how we survived this long… and I know it’s statistically, not every body should be, but I really don’t care honestly, people can eat/drink what they want, but when people suggest we need to drink the mammary fluid of another species to survive it’s just ridiculous to me. But that’s my opinion, not a fact, so people don’t need to be getting so angry.

• sirwired says:

We (okay, many of us) have evolved to drink milk in the same way that we have evolved to eat meat, vegetables, and many other delectable foodstuffs.

Just because your body can process it does not render it immune to ill effects from bacterial contamination. Pasteurization removes the bacterial contamination threat from milk, rendering it safer to drink. Just like it’s a good idea to wash vegetables and fruit, and cook meats to their proper temperature, etc.

When I said milk is “supposed” to be pasteurized, I was referring to the widespread, nearly-universal U.S. legal requirement for pasteurization, not implying that it should magically come out of the cow that way. You aren’t convincing anyone by deliberately twisting the word “supposed”.

• awesome anna says:

I was deliberately trying to twist the word “supposed”. But thanks for speaking for me.

• awesome anna says:

wasn’t!! dangit. Anyway, I was just saying.. if it’s supposed to be that way, than why isn’t is already? All of you sound a little bit angry any time anyone expresses something of a different opinion, I don’t get that….

• sirwired says:

To answer another one of your questions: “Why are so many people lactose intolerant?”

The gene only expressed itself a few thousand years ago. Before it could spread to nearly every person in the world, the survival/reproductive advantage to being able to produce lactase as an adult largely disappeared, due to advances in agriculture and nutrition in the parts of the world with domesticated dairy animals. (The gene is useless in areas without domesticated dairy stock, such as sheep, goats, and cows, and also provides no advantages in societies with adequate alternate sources of protein and other calories.)

• RvLeshrac says:

If you drink milk more than a few days after it came out of the cow, it should be pasteurised. Much like having a tumour removed, it isn’t about what’s “required,” but rather the better option.

You’re free to drink unpasteurised milk, but you’re also free to beat yourself in the head with a sledgehammer.

• longfeltwant says:

Surely you jest. Do you only eat the raw flesh of plants and animals never domesticated? All domesticated animals, all domesticated plants, and everything cooked, fits that absurd description.

• Firethorn says:

Nah, If I remember right, contaminated vegetables cause more illness than contaminated meat, much less milk. E-Coli laden spinach, greens, etc…

What tells me that I’m to drink mamary fluid from other animals is the fact that, even as an adult, my body is still producing Lactase.

• Jenny8675309 says:
      • sirwired says:

I’m not quite sure what your point is with those articles.

You linked to three articles about pasteurization done improperly. You might have a point I could figure out if you had instead linked to three articles about proper pasteurization not, in fact, actually working.

• runswithscissors says:

Yeah, see – your links all indicate that *proper* pasteurization IS the answer…

6. milkcake says:

i’m milkcake. get it? MILK cake…

7. mister_roboto says:

yeah… there’s nothing natural in sucking on a cows udder, if they want to be “natural” they should stop drinking milk of any kind- around the time of using a sippy bottle.

8. fearuncertaintydoubt says:

I think that people get around the law by joining a farm co-op.

9. Bladerunner says:

Buwhahahaha. I get a little chuckle out of people who think health and safety rules instituted with obvious reason are bad on the basis of nothing.

I’d laugh when the anti-vaccers get sick, too, except it’s their kids who suffer for their asshattery.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I know a woman who got on that bandwagon, and her young daughter nearly died from Whooping Cough. After a scary stay in the hospital, vaccinations resumed.

10. McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

Let the games begin!

Everyone who thinks food regulations are evil and raw food is excellent line up on the left.
    Everyone who thinks food regulations make mainstream food actually safe line up on the right.

Proceed to throw ludicrous claims at each other, ignoring the fact that each side has very valid points about how the other side’s methods have very serious food safety flaws.

Smugness shall follow shorty after.

People showing smugness early shall be disqualified.

11. YouDidWhatNow? says:

People are stupid. “All natural” this and “organic that” and “chemical free” something else all add up to “retard.”

12. EllenRose says:

I had raw milk, fresh from the cow, once. Didn’t much like it, but then food prejudices are both strong and irrational. I’m definitely not going to retune my taste buds to like raw milk when Pasteurized is available.

• trencherman says:

I had raw goat milk occasionally as a child (we kept goats). Although I never got sick, I would certainly not do it now. I agree that the taste was funny.

13. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

I love unhomogenized milk, but even that is pasteurized. I bet this would have not happened it if had been drank straight from the teet.

14. Darrone says:

Street names:

White Lightning
    The Moo
    Chuggers
    WooHoo

15. Patriot says:

Anyone here ever drink their wife’s breast milk?

16. Hi_Hello says:

my brother got some from a Russian store… I didn’t want to try it…
    he doesn’t know enough about raw milk, he just bought it because it’s ‘better’ for you.

If I do try raw milk, I would rather get it from the farm and I would still cook it..nice and slow before drinking it.

17. axiomatic says:

I say let natural selection take its course. If these people are too stupid to realize Louis Pasteur did what he did for a VERY GOOD reason then these people drinking raw milk are too stupid to continue on this planet and need to be left to suffer the consequences of their decision.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Absolutely. I wonder if phycologists have a term for this new phenomenon. It’s strange how in recent years there is a segment of the American population that have this “new insight” in that raw milk, back-yard farms, and anything “old school” is better. Since when? Their logic is misguided. It seems that we’ve come so far from the days of having improved food safety that this new generation is complacent because they’ve never known anything but modern, safe food products. So in their heads they’ve come up with reasoning that modern food is not safe. WTF? This makes no sense. Of course, someone will come up with some completely outrageous internet study that claims the opposite.

Here is my own study; I’ll keep on drinking pasteurize milk. Never have gotten sick in my life because pasteurization keeps it safe.

Other’s will drink non-pasteurized milk; chances are extremely high at getting sick. i.e. 35 people in four states have become ill after consuming the unpasteurized stuff.

Yet there are always the sheep that refuse to understand reasoning. The “Jenny McCarthy effect” is very strong.

• jsame says:

Louis Pasteur did do a good thing – he made drinking milk from unsanitary farms safe – he made it so milk could travel farther distances and keep from going bad. Back then, people that were selling milk were not taking care of their cows or using sanitary practices,so people were getting sick- not just because the milk was raw.

As long as you know where your milk is coming from (making informed decisions), then I think raw milk is fine. More people have gotten campylobacter from eating contaminated chicken than raw milk.

18. Simon Barsinister says:

“According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most people who become ill with campylobacteriosis get diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain and fever that typically lasts one week. Some infected persons do not have any symptoms.”

I can handle that. I’ll keep drinking my milk raw for the probiotic bacteria that keep my gut healthy.

• failurate says:

Ha ha… probiotics.
      How can you guarantee you are getting the correct bacteria in your raw milk? Do you add the bacteria yourself? Are samples routinely tested?

Would you like to buy some magic berries?

• Hachiroku says:

Were you born that stupid, or did you have to work at it through years of schooling? Milk naturally has bacteria in it. That’s how the first yogurt was made, milk was stored at relatively warm temperatures, and the bacteria curdled the milk.

Ignorance is awesome, but perhaps you should stick to WoW.

19. Cerne says:

I’m all for letting people eat & drink what ever they want. Raw milk should be legal and easily available. However instances like this are one of the reasons I choose not to drink it myself.

• hmburgers says:

The problem with that is that you wind up with a bunch of nancy’s out there suing over “bad” milk because they aren’t going to understand that it doesn’t keep in your fridge for 3-4 weeks like the bottles from the supermarket

• failurate says:

This isn’t a milk spoilage issue, it is a contamination issue. If the milk isn’t going to be pasteurized, everything the milk comes into contact with, including the cow itself, needs to be perfectly clean.

• Cerne says:

I disagree. Every raw milk supporter I’ve ever met is highly informed about the process. Their love of organics, local food or traditional methods is why they consume raw milk in the first place. Even if some people are misinformed a simple warning label takes care of that problem.

20. longfeltwant says:

Wait, I don’t understand. The hippies have been telling me that pasteurized milk is poison, and unpasteurized milk is manna which cures all diseases and never, ever has any negative consequences. Therefore, this news story must be false. Why is The Consumerist lying to us?

21. Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Please, please, please let Jenny McCarthy be one of them.

22. neilb says:

I like raw milk. I like rare meat. If these things are made with care then they are safe. When you know your bovines, these are safe to consume.
    If they are from some farm you are unfamiliar with (or from multiple animals), then they can be bad.
    Unfortunately, we have two choices of milk in the US: raw and corporate-run efficient. Ever try dairy in the UK? It makes our dairy taste awful. To get good safe raw dairy, the cows have to be well-cared for. Pasteurization allows you to drink milk from animals who aren’t in their prime. Therefore, you start with a bad product and make it worse by heating it and destroying a lot of the flavors. Hey, people like Maxwell House too. If you can’t taste and don’t want to then more power to you–just don’t impose that on me.
    Relatedly, gamma sterilization could allow us to safely eat feces in our burgers. Safe? Yes. Desirable? No.
    Also, base rates: 35 out of what…tens of thousands of unsick milk products? Is this worse than the base rate on pasturized milk? This is sensationalist unless it contains information about the alternatives.
    I detect a big-dairy shill in on the writing of this article. :)

• daemonaquila says:

Bingo! 35 people get sick from unpasteurized milk, and how many have gotten sick from the recalled drugs this year? How many from “properly” processed burger? How many from regulated restaurants like Taco Bell? How many from contaminated veggies?

Seriously, 35? That’s minor at best. Where are the panicked calls to stop eating all those processed foods and avoid fast food joints?

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Damn, you not only beat me to it, you said it better than I did. Well done, sir.

• Jane_Gage says:

Shilling for UK dairy? You can’t even donate blood if you eat meat over there.

• Hachiroku says:

The only reason this is a story is because consumerist panders to the “hur dur hippies are stupid when they buy organic” crowd.

35 people getting food poisoning from random fast food joint = non issue. 35 people getting food poisoning from raw milke = OMG people eating natural food are sick, inc “idiot hippies” comments.

23. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

I’m loving all the blaming the victims here…like no one ever gets sick from “USDA inspected” animal products. If I had easy access to it, I’d probably check the statistics on foodborne illnesses before buying any, but I’d be very interested. I know fresh meat and produce straight from the farm is vastly better than what I can get in a supermarket.

24. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Gov’t regulations? We don’t need no stinking gov’t regulations stifling free enterprise.

25. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

I used to have a ‘super-healthy’ friend who would always point out my ‘bad’ eating habits (basically anything processed is bad I guess — raw milk is right up her alley). She’d eat all these ‘natural’ foods…and was always getting sick.

I hardly ever get sick and I weigh the same as I did in high school (a svelte 178, thank you very much), so all these health nuts can suck it. Pass the bacon and the butter, please.

26. momtimestwo says:

I grew up on a family farm (we only sold maple syrup and apples to the public). We got our milk from our 4 cows and 2 goats. (and our cheese and butter from the government). Getting sick from our few animals never crossed our minds. We would milk the animals, strain it through cheesecloth into a bottle and into the fridge it went. The next day it got replaced with the latest batch. I don’t drink any milk now days, but if I did it would certainly be pasteurized because unless you handle it yourself you just don’t know under what conditions that milk arrived from.

27. AtlantaCPA says:

There was just a case where a person brought raw milk to a school function and a ton of kids got sick. She did not disclose that it was unpasteurized. I’m usually fine with people choosing to take the risk themselves but when you put that risk onto others children it should be criminal.

• Clyde Barrow says:

I agree. That is the “Jenny McCarthy” effect. This arrogance of some people is appalling. I’ve read where the internet has cause an upsurge in “know-it-all’s” in which folks that do research online seem to think they’re experts in any given field. Doctor’s are inundated with patients bringing in printouts from the internet and they’ll argue with their doctor because what they’re read is different than from what the doctor is stating,,and of course, in the patients mind the doctor is wrong. This stubborness and elitist thinking is so off the scale of stupid it is scary. If it gets any worse, I’ll home school my kids or send them to Europe rather than have them subjected to some nutty homemaker feeding “natural milk” or whatever to my kids.

• Thalia says:

There was just a case where a person brought egg salad with mayo to a school function and a ton of kids got sick. I’m usually fine with people choosing to take the risk themselves but when you put that risk onto others children it should be criminal.

Hmmm…. what can we prohibit to “think of the children”?

28. mischlep says:

I was amused because just earlier this week there was an article in the Courier Post newspaper (South New Jersey) talking about raw milk sales in New Jersey, transporting it into New Jersey is a crime, and how there are some underground groups that essentially are smuggling it in and selling it in the state.

29. The Salty Dalty says:

Consumerist needs to choose a font that has a difference between capital “i”s and lowercase “L”s. I really spent five minutes trying to figure out what “At Least 35 People 3 After Drinking Raw Milk” was supposed to mean before I clicked on the article.

30. Kate says:

I was interested in trying to make my own cheese, til I found out how hard it is to get the unpasteurized milk it requires. The only way I know is to make a friend with a cow, or buy a part share in a cow someplace near.

So the law is annoying on that basis. If I could buy unpasteurized milk from a farmer, it would be a lot easier to make cheese.

31. RayanneGraff says:

Every time a food hippie or an anti-vaxxer gets sick as a direct consequence of their beliefs, I am reminded of one phrase- survival of the fittest.

There is a good, scientifically supported reason why milk is pasteurized- it is simply not safe to drink raw milk. You might not get sick *every* time you drink it, but eventually you will. I grew up on a farm, and cows are filthy animals that live in their own shit. Raw milk does not ‘keep’ the way pasteurized milk does either. If you milk the cow yourself & drink it all up the same day, you *might* be okay. That’s how farmers got away with it in the olden days. But buying it & sticking it in the fridge for days? No. Just no.

32. ben_marko says:

People who drink raw milk are stupid. People who give raw milk to their children are criminal.

33. Darkneuro says:

If you get your raw milk from 3 states away, I say it’s no wonder you’ve gotten something. Higher # of people handling it=higher risk for catching something.

34. Traveling Consumer says:

Illness and Contamination happen with pasteurized milk too. Sometimes hundreds per year …from pasteurized milk.

Reference:

Here is a CDC line list from 1973 to 2005:

35. Traveling Consumer says:

Reference:

Here is a CDC line list from 1973 to 2005:

36. Traveling Consumer says:

Enough!, I get it already. I’m supposed to be scared of raw milk because it’s a trendy news topic. There have been hundreds of articles the past few days about raw milk being a terrorist (check out google news).

Illness and Contamination happen more often with pasteurized milk. Sometimes hundreds per year …from pasteurized milk.

Reference:

37. maruawe says:

We used to drink unpasteurized milk all the time with no ill effects,the only thing Mom did was filter it with nylon mesh filter. I still remember the butter forming on the top of the pitcher and the cottage cheese that was made all the time hanging over the sink. Modernization of producing the milk is probably the problem and has nothing to do with the cows that produce it …..
    Producers use chemicals to produce more milk from a cow, if they let nature take it;s course it would probably still be OK for consumers … Diluting the milk with water or chemicals to make 1% milk scare the bejesus out of me and I would touch nothing but whole milk …….

38. Big Dave says:

Most of you are making erroneous cause/effect equations. Organic does not equal safe. Many bacteria live in the soil. If produce from that soil is not handled/cleaned properly, you will get sick even though the organic farmer did not put chemicals on the produce. In the same way, there is no need to get sick from raw, unpasteurized milk if the farmer does everything right to get and store the milk AND the consumer does the same. The problem comes in when the farmer cuts corners. He puts chemicals on the grass the cow eats and those get into the milk and give one bad bacteria an advantage over the good bacteria in milk; Or, he doesn’t wipe the teats with a cleaning solution before milking; Or he lets the milk sit unrefrigerated too long in the milking shed; Or he does any of another dozen things wrong.

And, then the consumer drives an hour or more to the farm, buys the milk, then drives around shopping for a few more hours without keeping the milk in a cooler with ice. Or mishandles the milk any a few other ways.

Bad milk is caused by bad handling due to the amount of stress brought on by modernity. Our waters and soil are no longer clean and pristine. Our air is fouled. We breed animals to grow faster, weigh more, and die quicker, all in the name of greed, while breeding out the factors that made their milk safe to drink in the past. It is all part of the law of unintended consequences. When we change one thing intentionally, we accidentally changes dozens of other things.

39. Mackinstyle1 says:

“Ill”.

I miss serifs.

40. Ayla says:

Yes, and how many people a year get sick from the pasteurized stuff? And I’m not just talking food born illness, I’m talking about the ill side effects of repeatedly drinking dead cow puss. Raw milk is still best. Pasteurized milk is just slow poison.