Avoid Browser Glitch That Causes Unintentional Xbox Live Purchases

If you like to look for free Xbox 360 game demos via Xbox.com on a browser, it’s easy to make a mistake that causes you to accidentally buy the product rather than just test it out.

Giant Bomb describes the glitch:

If you’re logged out of Xbox.com right now and click on “Try Demo,” of, say, Fruit Ninja Kinect, you’re then presented with a login screen. After typing in your Windows Live ID information, the bubbly Avatar appears. Soon, a pop-up window shows up, displaying a confirmation page to make sure everything’s a-okay.

In the process of logging in, however, Xbox.com will mysteriously switch from “Try Demo” to “Buy Game.” One costs money, the other doesn’t. It’s reasonable to wonder why one would just click “Confirm Purchase” without careful reading, except that “Confirm Purchase” is the same button that shows up when you want to download a trial version, too. “Confirm Purchase” is the generic term used on the site when approving a download in all cases.

If you click on “confirm purchase,” you’re actually buying the full game rather than getting the demo. A Microsoft spokesperson says the company is “actively working to resolve” the issue.

Xbox.com issue causes risk of accidental purchases [Giant Bomb via Joystiq]

Comments

1. Admiral_John says:

Yeah… a “glitch”… I’m sure that’s what it is.

2. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Fruit Ninja is a fun iPad app. (But not fun enough to buy. Yet.)

3. thomwithanh says:

” the company is ‘actively working to resolve’ the issue”

sure they are…

4. maxhobbs says:

Why do grown “adults” play games? You do know there is an outside world out there, right?

Seems allI hear are people grumbling how they never have time or money for anything, but they have plently of time AND money for stupid games.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

And time to post comments on websites.

• PunditGuy says:

Oooooo — fun! Let me try!

Why do grown adults watch sporting events? They could be outside playing sports themselves.

• Rocket says:

Not sure if troll…

• El_Red says:

Ever heard the word: “fun”?

Also, ever tried to have fun outside when it’s -20 C and windy?
      Or with flu?
      Or in 20 minutes, while home?

Troll

• Outrun1986 says:

Yes, and since the only entertainment that is available around here consists of either sitting in a bar, going to a movie or going to a restaurant… neither of which are more healthy or productive than sitting and playing a video game.

Why do people like to sit around the TV and watch the sports game? I could be doing so much in those 3-4 hours you sit in front of the TV and watch the game! Its stupid that a grown adult sits and watches a 3-4 hour game where overpaid sports athletes run around and chase a ball around the field. You could be on the floor playing with your child and teaching them things, bonding with them and actually being productive. Why do people like to watch Movies? You could be doing productive things in the time it takes you to watch that movie. Why do people like to listen to Music?…..

5. dangermike says:

I never understood the browser-based representation of the xbox live marketplace. It won’t download until you turn your xbox on, anyway, so I can’t imagine that it get used very often and I can’t really see why they went through the millions of dollars of effort to develop it.

• Magical Pig says:

I tend to agree but I can see it being useful. I could prob surf around the website a lot quicker looking at game content that I might want to try rather then doing it via the dashboard. But alas I’m not used to it that way so I don do it.

• erinpac says:

I use it all the time. It is much easier to enter codes there, search, etc. I almost always enter the codes that come with almost every new game now online, before I log in.
      The Xbox will actually download while ‘off’ if you set it to enable background downloads and it is still connected.

6. JoeTheDragon says:

Seems like the older cable VOD systems where they used the same BUY screen for FREE shows as the PPV VOD movies.

7. Supernautus says:

solved by ensuring you’re logged in to live before you browse the marketplace that you need to be connected to view.