Foods That May Help Keep You Cancer-Free

Everything you put into your body has some effect on your health and well-being. Some foods are believed to lower the risk of cancer. While there’s nothing you can eat that will insure you don’t get sick, you can stack the odds in your favor by adjusting your diet.

My Thirty Spot recommends foods with potential cancer-preventing qualities. Among her suggestions:

* Garlic. Research suggests that eating a clove of garlic each day lowers your risk of bladder, colon and stomach cancers.

* Carrots. Antioxidants from carrots, available in pill form or the root itself, are said to help fortify your body against cancer risk.

* Black pepper. A quarter-teaspoon a day is believed to be enough to help destroy abnormal, potentially cancerous cells.

5 Foods to Help Stay Cancer Free [My Thirty Spot]

Comments

1. E-Jungle says:

Well I use garlic and black pepper in my food almost every day, this is good news :)

• Firethorn says:

One of my favorite foods is a stir-fry – shredded carrots, garlic, and black pepper. Well, it’s actually ‘royal melange’, put I put enough in that I do get that much… And there’s likely not that much difference between black and white/red/green. Fresh ground, too.

I fry up some ground beef or turkey? In goes some garlic, onion, and pepper.

2. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I’ve been eating carrots almost every day for years. I’m glad they’re good for something, because my eyesight certainly hasn’t improved! :)

• Ihmhi says:

The eyesight thing was actually British WW2 propaganda.

The British had radar on their planes, but they didn’t want the enemy to know that they had it. So they started a propaganda campaign to say that lots of carrots improve night vision and the enemy (as well as most of the populace) bought it. The propaganda campaign was so effective that people still believe carrots are really *that* good for your eyesight 65+ years after the war was over.

• Saltpork says:

You do realize that a steady diet of carrots include beta carotene which is converted into retinoids that help with rod/cone recovery times correct?

Propoganda aside there is actual scientific information saying that carrots help your eyesight recover quicker between states of light and dark.

It won’t give you nightvision or magically make your 20/15 turn to 20/20, but it is good for your eyes.

• anti09 says:

Correct about all but one thing – 20/15 is actually better than 20/20. The two figures represent, respectively, how far away (in feet) somebody is standing from a theoretically object, and what a “normal” person would be expected to see from that distance. Therefore, someone with 20/10 eyesight is seeing at 20 feet what most people see at 10 feet, and correspondingly has better vision. Conversely, having 20/100 eyesight would mean you can see at 20 feet what most people can see at 100 feet, and you have some pretty terrible vision as a result.

3. Fiona says:

Neither your article nor the sourced article provides any references. If I tell you that running in circles counter clockwise while patting your head and rubbing your tummy prevented cancer, would you believe that too? Carrots are said by whom to fortify your body against cancer risk? Black better is believed by whom to destroy abnormal cells?

You might think that this kind of thing is harmless, but I strongly disagree. Not only could it cause harm to you, but this kind of unscientific thinking is exactly what is causing the extinction of animals like the rhino, because someone “said” or “believed” that its horn could cure impotence.

4. cowboyesfan says:

Black Pepper is in the same family as the tabacco plant.

• cybrczch says:

Tobacco is in the Solanaceae family. black pepper is in the Piperaceae family. You may be confusing black pepper with bell/chile/hot peppers, which are in the Solanaceae family. But then so are tomatoes and potatoes.

• Azagthoth says:

No, no, no. He was referring to tabacco, not tobacco. Completely different plant. Made from the rainbows shat from unicorns. Tastes like chicken.

5. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

Kale, kale and more kale.

6. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

Kale is best. Here’s an article with a buttload of references at the bottom:

7. C. Ogle says:

I think it’s too late for that cat to start eating carrots… he looks like he’s having a stroke.

8. Fantoche_de_Chaussette says:

Excellent! From now on, I’ll sprinkle some black pepper on my Quarter-Pounder with Cheese and Super-Sized fries.

No, seriously. These are tips for folks who already eat a very healthy diet, and want to further optimize it. In a country where 70% of adults are clinically overweight, it’s re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

9. whatdoyoucare says:

I saw this PBS show recently with Dr Joel Fuhrman. He is a board certificate in family medicine and a nutrition researcher that has come up with these power foods, which he calls GOMBS (not combs):

G- green veggies (dark leafy, also includes green tea)
    O- onions
    M- mushrooms
    B- beans and berries
    S- seeds

He mentioned a recent study published in the International Journal of Cancer showed that women who regularly consumed about 10 grams (that’s a small handful of sliced mushrooms, usually 1 whole) are 64% less likely to develop breast cancer. This study went even further to reveal that the group of women who ate this same amount of mushrooms daily along with regular consumption of greens or green tea were 89% less likely to develop breast cancer!

I haven’t read any of his books yet, but I am on a waiting list for them at our library.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/ has some useful info.

• tooluser says:

If you look into his research you will find that he does not prioritize vitamin B-12 as a nutrient required for human existence. This automatically puts animal products at the bottom of his list. He has an agenda. It is not stated. I do not find his information to be trustworthy.

But I do believe people should eat and enjoy their vegetables.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

You don’t need animal products to get B12. You can take a B12 supplement. But, let me ask you, where do you think animals get their B12 from? They get from bacteria in the water and soil. It doesn’t naturally occur in their bodies. It’s hard for us to get from those sources, b/c unlike our ancestors, our food is super clean, and we drink ultra clean water. so, we are getting it from a second hand source when we eat animals. The vitamins are made from bacteria sources and work perfectly fine.

It can take many years for a deficiency to show up. It doesn’t only happen to people who don’t eat meat. I am not a vegetarian and am deficient. I eat lots of dairy, and eat meat at least two times a week.

• Conformist138 says:

I can get about 1000% of my daily B12 needs from a can of VISO. It also has enough caffeine to give a baby hippo heart palpitations.

10. Mudilo says:

nice! i eat all of that A LOT

11. tooluser says:

Got it: I will eat nothing but garlic, carrots, and black pepper for the rest of my life.

Will your advice be the same tomorrow? Next week?

Of course it won’t. Next week you will run a story about how garlic, carrots, and black pepper are the most powerful carcinogens imaginable.

It’s so easy for the media to parody itself. Thanks, Consumerist.com, for continuing the tradition in 2012. I look forward to many more such articles from your site, CNN, MSNBC, and the Dr. Oz show. You should all give yourselves a big award, or maybe someone else will…perhaps a deflated balloon would suffice.

You could work hard to bring information of value to your readers. But you choose not to. Is that really your business plan?

12. Renaldow says:

Instead of 5 foods that keep you cancer free, how about an article on the thousands of processed foods on grocery store shelves that contain known carcinogens? Eat all the garlic you want, if you chase it with a diet soft drink you’re a cancer magnet.

13. gman863 says:

I think it also repels vampires who dislike the taste of blood laced with Prilosec, Prevacid, Zantac or Tums.

• Saltpork says:

Tums is about the purest food out there. It’s calcium carbonate. It’s the food equivalent of chalk.

I have to agree with Michael Pollan on this: Ignore all of this junk. It’s just junk. Don’t worry about the science. Media will post more and more of this crap. Ignore it. Just eat real food.

Eat real food. Eat stuff your grandma would recognize. Eat only when you’re hungry and eat things that actually grow from the ground or things that are animal products.

• Conformist138 says:

“Amen!” I type with a hot dog firmly held in my teeth. mmm…. Like grandma used to microwave!

14. Cat says: