Get Your Airline Ticket Changed For Free Because Of Massive Midwest Storm

The Superbowl of storms is headed for the Midwest with 20″ snow and 45 mph winds predicted for Chicago. Thankfully, a lot of airlines are waiving their usual ticket change fees for travelers who could be affected. 3,000 flights have already been canceled in advance of the potentially deadly weather. Don’t go to the airport to see if you can make your flight, don’t get stuck in an airport, stay home, stay over at your friend’s house an extra day or two, and take advantage of this leniency. Here are links to the various airlines and their waiver and winter update pages and policies:

American Airlines
Continental Airlines
Delta Airlines
Frontier Airlines
JetBlue
Southwest Airlines
United Airlines
US Airways

Comments

1. TasteyCat says:

There will be much suffering everywhere. We have two storms heading up to New England. The winter storm warning is in effect for 43 hours.

2. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I’ll put y’all up in my super rustic house… be swept away with a blow up mattress that makes sleeping worth your wildest dreams on my dining room floor, while the pellet stove’s fan lulls you to sleep with it’s melodious drum. But wait! There’s MORE! I include your very own SNUGGIE with your night’s stay!

Afraid of that scary storm? Of losing electricity? Phone? Not being able to reach a store for supplies? Our home has a state of the art 6500 watt generator that runs almost our entire home, as well as a super cool as f*ck Polaris 700 SP snowmobile to get you where you need to go! Laugh at all the stupid folk who didn’t plan ahead while you watch our 52″ television with a bowl of fresh popcorn and hot cocoa with my great kids!

….Damn, I lost you at kids, didn’t I?

• ExtraCelestial says:

….Damn, I lost you at kids, didn’t I?

This is Consumerist. Gotta know your audience (though snuggies are tempting!)

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I’m never sure whether the crowd will grab their torch and pitchforks or be a little more forthcoming when it comes to rugrats ;)

*For the record, my children are never the kind you see screaming at restaurants/theatres/shopping or any other venue you hate seeing them.

• haggis for the soul says:

Reservation for 3, please. Do you accept cats?

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Hey, that sounds cozy, kids ‘n all. Sign me up for the next time, since we’re out of the storm path this time around. Also, y’all be safe – we’re dodging the snowpocalypse and icetastrophe this go around but I fear for my friends in Chi-town and RI. Bundle up, hunker down, and wait it out until Mother Nature is done stomping over you.

• nybiker says:

You wouldn’t lose at me at kids, since they’re yours. I was happy to hear that your children are the ones that we don’t read about here in various stories.
      Cats, OTOH, are a problem due to me me being allergic. If you don’t have any, well, all the better.
      Since you describe your house as ‘super rustic’ and not just rustic, I am guessing you don’t live within the sunny confines of New York City as I do. So, pray tell, in what balmy location are you tucked away at this point. I am not trying to be stalkish, a general location will suffice. E.G., ‘central Vermont’.

3. LoadStar says:
  4. ouijabored says:

I live in Madison, and we have a winter weather advisory from now until Wednesday! It’s insane. I’m not going anywhere, but I am worried about my boyfriend and numerous friends coming back from Mexico Wednesday/Thursday – they’re supposed to be flying into O’Hare, but I don’t know what airline they’re on.

5. AlexTNOA says:

Bah – flurries.

• scoobydoo says:

22″ and 45MPH winds does not equal flurries.

• alana0j says:

Here in Northern TN I think we’re expected to get some light snowfall tomorrow because of it but as far as I know nothing really serious. We’ll see though…as a pizza delivery girl I have to say I hope all we get it light snowfall…

6. Draw2much says:

It’s even going hit us folks in North Texas! Woah! Supposedly one of our Walmarts ran out of eggs and milk early today. *chortles* I’ll be interested to see if we actually get any of the nasty weather. (Weather in this area is notoriously bipolar)

• Trireme32 says:

Here in Dallas we’re also wondering how badly this will affect Super Bowl travel (especially those of us in the hospitality industry).

7. Hotscot says:

This pretty amazing to me.
    Over here in California where I live North of Los Angeles it’s been pretty much shirt no jacket weather the past couple of weeks. Apart from some much needed showers yesterday…

8. HogwartsProfessor says:

We have a blizzard warning in SW MO. A BLIZZARD! I cannot ever remember hearing that word applied to our weather.

My boss sent out an email “As of the forecast at 9:15 am, we will be open tomorrow.” After lunch, the forecast got worse. If we go in, we may not be able to get home by the time he decides to let us go. There is no way I’m going in tomorrow. This job isn’t worth my safety.

• haggis for the soul says:

I can’t ever remember that either for this area. I’m hoping we don’t get to find out what that would be like.

9. EagleFalconn says:

Does it bother anyone else that the picture is uncited as coming from Weather.com?

10. constanon says:

Is this a joke? It hasn’t even started snowing yet and airlines are cancelling flights? WTF? I thought it was sad when people make a run on the grocery store and foolishly waste all their money on eggs and toilet paper. I must be getting more cynical as I age because I find myself fighting the notion that Idiocracy is really happening too frequently anymore.

It’s going to snow. Just like last year. And the year before that… sigh.

11. Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

I’m glad to see, according to the accompanying picture, all of Southern Ontario is unaffected by the “storm to end all storms,” as Consumerist is making this to be. Those Great Lakes are marvelous in shielding us from that nasty weather you poor Americans are going to get.

Oh… .

• OSAM says:

Quite. I love how that lovely purple band sort of ends at Lake Michigan and doesn’t extend to Windsor, Kitchener-Waterloo, London, etc. Hell, we’re just above the white bit that gets rather abruptly cut off in NY (Ottawa, to be precise)

12. PupJet says:

Well now, this is a change of pace. It’s usually us here in the Pacific Northwest getting this. I guess mother nature decided it was their turn. Good thing too though since we are getting more flood watches/warnings than normal.

13. fruvous says:

Wow, I love how the storm magically stops at the border. We Canadians are so lucky.

14. steve6534 says:

Keep in mind that even though they’re waiving the change fees you’re still on the hook for the fare difference which can be significant for a flight this close in. For example if your original flight was $200 and the new one is priced at $500 today you will have to pay $300 to change to the new flight.

• jnads says:

This.

Sure, they’ll let you change/cancel your $200 flight without charging you $150. However, your new flight will cost $600 due to demand.

15. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That map must not be to scale if the same length on the map is both 800 and 1080 miles.

16. The Lone Gunman says:

Currently trapped in New Orleans after all DFW flights cancelled. Allegedly, I will be flying out at 6am tomorrow.

17. The Lone Gunman says: