55 Ways To Use A Lemon Besides Eating It

When life gives you lemons, clean your microwave. That’s one of the 55 different ways you can use a lemon that don’t involve a food recipe detailed over at Coupon Sherpa. I also like the idea of using it to fend off roaches and fleas. Just add the juice and rinds to a 1/2 gallon of water and wash your floors with it. The little buggers hate the smell of lemons! Who knew?

55 Green Uses for Yellow Lemons [Coupon Sherpa]

Comments

1. The cake is a lie! says:

Nice. This was actually really helpful. I can use some of that information today, actually. Thanks for the tip!

• The cake is a lie! says:

Oh, one tip that isn’t on that list is to help remove the funky smell from your sink disposal. I cut up a lemon and put it down the drain and flip the disposal on. It cleans out the smell for whatever was causing it and it doesn’t come back. Well, not right away at any rate. It is a good use for them even if the lemon has already been squeezed. Limes work too. I put the limes from my mojitos down the drain and it works well.

• Maximus Pectoralis says:

This. I use lemons quite often (either sliced or for juice) and in both situations I typically end up with end pieces or lemon skins left over. Throwing them in the garbage disposer makes it fresh and clean! If I happen to have old lemons that are turning brown I will just slice them up and throw them in.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The only problem with this method is that you now have a rotting lemon in your disposal.

• The cake is a lie! says:

Not true. You turn on the disposal and it chops everything up and runs it down the drain like normal. You don’t just leave them down there.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Sadly, not how they do it at work in the break room. It’s annoying.

The article says to use shavings, which makes more sense.

• I just blue myself says:

It’s tip #4 ;)

2. Portlandia says:

I wish I had this last month. I made lemoncello and had a dozen left over lemons!

• brado says:

Recipe por favor….

• Portlandia says:

really simple

- 1 Bottle of Everclear or similar 95% Grain Alcohol
        - Zest of a dozen lemons (no white pith at all or it will be bitter)

Soak lemon zest in the everclear for 3-4 weeks. Strain out zest through cheese cloth.

Boil 6 Cups water + 4 cups sugar and make a simple syrup. Let the syrup COMPLETELY COOL and then add to the alcohol. Freeze for a couple weeks and serve.

Very easy to make and very tasty.

For something even better, substitute the water for milk and make Crema di Lemoncello. It tastes like an alcoholic version of a lemon cream sickle

3. Its_Miller_Time says:

They also cure nausea. Was my wife’s only solace when she had “All-Day” morning sickness for 7 of the 8 months she was pregnant with our daughter.

• Geekmom says:

All day? Sounds like she had hyperemesis. My sist

• LanMan04 says:

A Møøse once bit my sister …

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge – her brother-in-law – an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: “The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist”, “Fillings of Passion”, “The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink”.

4. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

46. Disinfect Wounds
    Stop bleeding and disinfect minor cuts and scrapes with lemon juice poured directly onto the affected area. You can also apply with a cotton ball held firmly in place for a minute or two.

The sadist in me loves this.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Cayenne Pepper works for clotting wounds too. Stings like a monkey-farmer though.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

My mother put vinegar on our sunburns. Hurt like an SOB for a few minutes, but didn’t hurt after that. I think she enjoyed inflicting the pain. On the other hand, it worked.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

It worked. My mom did that too. I don’t know why, but the vinegar worked. Noxema did too but it stunk worse than vinegar.

• I just blue myself says:

I cringed when I read that.

5. George4478 says:

Green uses? It’s a fruit.

I guess one non-green use would be to cover it with light fluid and roast some spotted owl fillets over the sputtering, lemony flames. I could do this in a newly cleared patch of old growth forest and the mosquitoes would leave me alone. It’s a win-win!

• Blueskylaw says:

You could also fry up some potamilus capax to go with your fowl.

• Jchamberlain says:

I prefer the breast meat of the bald eagle. Roasted over styrofoam that once held a big mac. I toss the rest of the carcass out the door of my 72 Nova while speeding down the highway spreading toxic fumes.

6. I just blue myself says:

Thanks for the article. Very helpful.

7. WonTonChin says:

1. Remove Odors From China

That would take like a billion lemons.

8. failurate says:

If it works as a cat repellent, why would I use it near the litter box as an odor cutter?

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Put the lemon on/near something you don’t want the cat to wee on that’s in the same room?

• delicatedisarray says:

My vet actually recommend this to me for my cats. Now instead of just clawing the furniture they also lick it. At lest I have a pleasent smelling living room…

9. ovalseven says:

“52. Use As A Short-Term Deodorant
    For emergency situations, wet your armpits with lemon extract. The deodorizing effect will last for only a few hours, but it’s better than sweating your way through a job interview when you’ve forgotten your speed stick”.

Really!? Who leaves their house for a job interview, forgets their deodorant, but remembers to bring lemon extract?

10. fredbiscotti says:

You could get a couple of old guys together and have a party….

• dadelus says:

I don’t know how to say this politely, so I’ll just say.

You! GTFO!!!

• ramfan1701 says:

Not that I didn’t have a good chuckle at that, but people like you are the reason I pop unfamiliar phrase/memes into wikipedia or google or something first to read a description. That’s how I avoided being subjected to 2 girls/1 cup, among other things.

• Jchamberlain says:

THAT sir is a win. Just ask yourself, in that situation, whonwould you like to be? For me it would have to be the photographer.

11. jayde_drag0n says:

Personally I think this falls inside the parameters. You do not eat the lemons, but you use the rinds! http://www.bakersroyale.com/fruit/lemon-drop-jell-o-shots/

12. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I prefer the advice of Bill McNeil:
    “Dave, have you ever heard the expression, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, and then toss it in the face of the person who gave you the lemons until they give you the oranges you asked for in the first place?”

13. radish01001 says:

Take a miracle fruit tablet and enjoy your new lemonade-flavored fruit.
    Lemons would be my favorite fruit if this is how they tasted all of the time.

14. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

56: any citrus peels, including lemons, can be boiled and then cooled [unless you are really evil] and the liquid, peels and all, poured down mole holes in your yard. moles have very sensitive noses and the strong citrus oils drive them away.

15. Big Mama Pain says:

57. Rubbing a lemon half on your cutting board gets rid of beet stains, and other stubborn food stains (and of course, the beets go along with the tip about removing berry stains from hands)

16. HogwartsProfessor says:

Ha ha, love the zen garden cat box picture in the article.
    Not good to spray puppies; that will get in their eyes.
    I knew about the hair bleach one; I spent many an afternoon in high school sitting in the sun with a sticky mess of lemon juice on my hair!

17. gman863 says:

58: (REDACTED). This originated in San Fransisco and can be used by males or females in place of a cucumber or gerbil.

18. CRCError1970 says:

Biting into a lemon or taking a sip of pure lemon juice has been a failsafe cure of hiccups for my family for years.

19. Dollie says:

#462 Lemon wedge with a few shakes of bitters and covered in sugar takes care of just about any type of funky stomach.