650,000 Prius Hybrids Need Water Pumps Fixed

Toyota is going to pay to fix the water pumps on 2004-2007 Prius hybrids starting in December. The pumps can glitch, causing the car to overheat and lose power.

“There is a risk that air in the pump bearing could cause pump actuation to be slow, raising the coolant temperature and tripping a Check Engine light (Code: P0A93 with information code 346),” writes the Consumer Reports Cars blog.

Affected owners will receive a letter soon notifying them they can take their car to their dealer for a free repair. For more info, call 1-800-331-4331.

Toyota to fix 650,000 Prius hybrids for heat risk [Consumer Reports Cars Blog]

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Well, at least it’s not a sticky accelerator.

…too soon?

2. obits3 says:

I want the one with the higher MPGs! (Cause that’s all that matters/sarc)

Flame on!

3. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

My dad owns a 2006 Prius and its a hangar queen.

4. theinstallguy says:

Toyota has also announced that “This is not a recall” hehe Ok

5. Buckus says:

Cue the…”This is why I don’t buy hybrids” comments, even though this fix has nothing to do with the hybrid-ness of the vehicle and could have just as likely been for Corvettes or Mustangs.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

If they do post such things, they’d be quick to forget that, oh, gee… Fuel-Burning cars ALSO have water pumps that DO occasionally jam/crack/break/etc.

• Jfielder says:

That’s great except that mechanical water pumps don’t “glitch”. Hybrids do have electric water pumps, something most standard cars do not have.

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

They might not “glitch”, but they do “break” or “fail” or “get clogged” or “snap a belt”…

• Cyclone says:

Water pumps can break on all cars, this is true. However, most cars don’t have a problem with wide spread water pump failures, especially on car that has been prone to many other problems as well. The Prius is a poorly made piece of crap, plain and simple.

• Buckus says:

So, you’re claiming to have knowledge of all vehicles and know that almost no other car has widespread water-pump failures?

Engineering/Manufacturing fail is fail, whether on a hybrid or normal car.

I’m sure I can round up at least 1000 people who have had a water pump fail in a normal, non-hybrid car.

6. APriusAndAGrill says:

Actually, I have a 2007 and the coolant system scares me on that thing. it is stored in a vacum tube and stuff

7. human_shield says:

Toyota should be getting a pat on the back for this kind of stuff, not bad press. My Chrysler has all kinds of things that are widly known issues and I sure don’t get free repairs.

• redwall_hp says:

Yeah. The media (yes, I’m including blogs) won’t leave Toyota alone lately, but what they’re doing is great. They’re doing doing free repairs for things that *might* be a problem. That’s definitely not the norm for a car company. Recalls are *good*. Letting potential problems go unnoticed is not, which (surprise) is what most manufacturers seem to do.

• cbutler says:

Its because its widely known that Chrysler’s aren’t the greatest tp begin with hence they aren’t exactly making much money at this point in time anyway. To balance my statement, I own a Grand Cherokee. I will say that the 5.7 in it is impressive and dependable… the Chrysler touched electronics however are not impressive. Yes, I use the vehicle for what it is. No, its not a road queen.

8. TPA says:

I’ve been critical of Toyota for the many years they denied problems, but it does seem like they’ve learned that Americans are far more forgiving when someone fesses up to a problem rather than trying to cover it up. For so long Toyota thought Americans cared solely about initial quality, thus the “Toyotas never have problems” mentality.

In other news, Bentley has had recalls in the past year. Both were for somewhat embarrassing problems — Bentley’s Flying Spur had fuel lines that were rusting prematurely, and a hood ornament that didn’t retract properly and might injure a pedestrian if they were hit.

9. cbutler says:

JusT wait until they need new batteries!